The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 22, 2023, 04:51 PM   #26
Obambulate

Kimber K6s has a 4" target model. They are well made and a reasonable size for carry. For the .22 an NAA Black Widow might do the trick. It's very small and light. Load the .22 WMR cylinder with snake shot and use the .22lr cylinder for practice and plinking.

A full sized .22 revolver with a great trigger and excellent sights? Model 17 S&W. Not even close.
Old January 22, 2023, 05:59 PM   #27
P Flados

The LCRx I recommended is 38 SP +P, not 357. There are some nice 357s that are light, but they are more $$$$. And very few people report that the like to shoot full power 357 magnums in these guns. Many report that they tried 357s and just switched to 38 Sp.

I shoot a mix of magnum and non-magnum stuff. If someone is ok with the extra size/weight, a 357 magnum 6 shot 4" or longer is probably a reasonable choice. In anything smaller or lighter, I recommend a 38 Sp only gun.
Old January 22, 2023, 06:17 PM   #28
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms65
Ricklin she wants a full sized 22 revolver for target shooting. I'm sure there has to be a full sized 22 revolver with a good trigger.
Probably not, and not within your budget range.

You have a better chance of finding her a pink unicorn.

But for target shooting she would probably be shooting it in single action, so perhaps the dreadfully heavy DA trigger on most rimfire revolvers won't be an issue.
Jeepaholic
Old January 23, 2023, 12:40 AM   #29
bamaranger

Airlite

I have not read all posts nor the exact interests of the OP, I suppose I should before I comment. But...I have of late been fascinated by the S&W Airlite revolvers in .22 lr and .22 mag. The snubby's supposedly weight less than 12 oz's.....loaded.

Seems I read there are 6 and 8 shot models. I cannot say on barrel lengths, the ones I've seen on video portray snubby's with good sights for what they are. I can't advise on trigger pull, as I've never handled one. The .22 mag snubby supposedly delivers .22 lr RIFLE velocities. But .22 WMR ammo is expensive, or more expensive than .22 lr anyhow and nothing one would plink with I wouldn't think.

Something attractive about a revolver weighing less than a Coke.
Old January 23, 2023, 10:56 AM   #30
Trooper Joe

“The” wife ??

Great thread. My only suggestion would be to change the title from “ Please help me find a revolver or three for ‘the’ wife.” to Please help me find a revolver or three for “my” wife.

My state trooper daughter pointed out this grammatical issue.

Trooper Joe
Old January 23, 2023, 11:48 AM   #31
reddog81

For a full size .22 revolver it'll be hard to beat a Smith 617. The new ones are 10 shot and you can add a red dot without too much work. Getting one of these is on the top of my very long wish list. I have a few of the older variants - a Model 17 and a 100 year old K22. Both of the used ones were much cheaper than a new model and work great. Unfortunately the new ones run $900+. Ruger had a GP100 in .22 but those don't appear to be in stock anywhere and were about the same price.

For the .38 Special there are a few more options. You could go with something like a Taurus 66 or Taurus 82. Or if she really likes the S&W 22 you could save up a bit more and get the S&W Model 66. Or like Pahoo mentioned there is the Kimber DASA or the Colt King Cobra has a few different variants but they also run $900+. Colt had a .22 variant of the King Cobra also but they are new and hard to find.

5 years ago the $800 price range would have worked better. Now the popular name brand revolvers are pushing $1,000 or more.
Old January 23, 2023, 01:45 PM   #32
rms65

Thanks #Reddog81. I'm shocked how much disparity there is in revolver prices. They're either really cheap like 200 dollars or 1000 dollars. There's not much in the middle. I'm a rifle guy my most expensive rifle doesn't cost $1000 most of them under $500 and shoot great.

I recently bought a 9mm Hellcat Pro just to have for under $600. It's got a lot more to it mechanically and design wise than a wheel gun. I'm shocked that good revolvers cost more than automatics.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll take the wife to a few pawn shops to see what she likes and dislikes. Shopping for handguns on line is like trying to buy boots and clothes online. You can't tell if they fit you before buying them.

Oh well
Take care all
Thanks for the suggestions it looks like I have a lot to learn.
Ron
Old January 23, 2023, 02:32 PM   #33
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms65 View Post
Thanks #Reddog81. I'm shocked how much disparity there is in revolver prices. They're either really cheap like 200 dollars or 1000 dollars. There's not much in the middle. I'm a rifle guy my most expensive rifle doesn't cost $1000 most of them under $500 and shoot great.

I recently bought a 9mm Hellcat Pro just to have for under $600. It's got a lot more to it mechanically and design wise than a wheel gun. I'm shocked that good revolvers cost more than automatics.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll take the wife to a few pawn shops to see what she likes and dislikes. Shopping for handguns on line is like trying to buy boots and clothes online. You can't tell if they fit you before buying them.

Oh well
Take care all
Thanks for the suggestions it looks like I have a lot to learn.
Ron
Good luck finding something she likes.

It is kind of crazy how the single action Heritages can be found for under $100 but to step up to a Colt, S&W or Ruger double action it'll be close to $1,000. FWIW I bought a Heritage "tactical" model last year and for the price it is a decent gun. If you find a nice .38 or .357 maybe you can splurge on it and compromise on a cheaper .22 for the time being. And then get a nice .22 later...

Of course if it's going to be something she uses it might make sense to just pay the higher price.
Old January 23, 2023, 04:28 PM   #34
ammo.crafter

Ruger SAA 22 convertible for 22LR and 22WMR.

My daughter's first .22 revolver was a S&W kit gun in stainless steel with faux pearl grips.

38 snub nose are quite hard to master. Better off with a 3 inch or 4 inch model.

As others have suggested, let her pick out what she wants.
Old January 26, 2023, 02:22 AM   #35
stinkeypete

Strongly recommend the Ruger LCRX 3"

I dearly wish they made them in 4" barrels but for a walking-about gun you simply can't beat the light weight and polymer components. 16 ounces.

.38 Special and don't feel you need any more than cowboy or target loads. It can take +P ammunition but then that 'ugly' black soft grip suddenly becomes lovable and the best thing in the world because +P is a bit of a handful in a 16 ounce pistol.

While the steel framed guns are "nicer", you just can't beat a one pound gun you can toss in the pocket of your jacket. For a trail gun, it's what you have in your pocket that counts, not what you left at home because it's too heavy or nice and shiny to carry around.

They make a .22 LCRX as well, but I have a Bearcat and ... well.. that's an unfair comparison as it's just a cute little cowboy gun.

I had a S&W Model 317 .22 kit gun and my experience with it was so frustrating that I traded it and vowed to never own a S&W again. I have moderated, I would own lots of S&W's made before 1975 or so now if they showed up... so a used model 17 or 617 would be classy and fun. But heavy.

All in all, it's pretty hard to beat a Ruger Wrangler or Heritage for the price. Seriously!
Old January 26, 2023, 08:19 AM   #36
rms65

Thanks stinkypete. Very good points made. I'm a fan of practical equipment. Everything you said makes sense to me. It's funny that you suggested that lcrx. I've been researching 38 special revolvers on YouTube and have been looking hard at the LCRX. My wife handled a LCR in a pawn shop but didn't like it because it didn't have a hammer. At the time we didn't know that it could be had with a hammer. I think the 3"LCRX will serve her needs well.

Now to find her a nice stainless/pearl 6" 22 for target/plinking.

Thanks
Be well
Ron
Old January 27, 2023, 12:46 PM   #37
Obambulate

The LCRx is a pretty good compromise. They are high quality and reasonably priced.
Old January 28, 2023, 10:12 AM   #38
smokehouse4444

My wife has a 3" Ruger SP101, a 5" Ruger Blackhawk, and a snubby Ruger LCR. If she had to pick one, it would be the SP101. It's loaded with some hot .357 Underwood for defense, but can be shot with light 38's for fun. Tough, rugged, no BS Firearm with some heft. Can shoot anything made for a .357 out of it. She finds the LCR with +P a little too snappy, and of course, the Blackhawk is not what your wife is looking for.
Hope to see some pics of what y'all end up purchasing, especially a gorgeous pearl handled .22
Old January 29, 2023, 03:35 PM   #39
stinkeypete

Although I consider myself a "revolver" guy, a .22 LR target pistol should be a semi-auto. Here is why:

A S&W Model 35 has the 6" barrel you are looking for, and one from the '50s or 60's is what you want. A nice one is about $1600.

You could get a Model 17 Masterpiece new for $1150 or 617 for $915 but... well, I expect you'd feel another $300 for a basic trigger job and tune would be worth it. That's one reason the old ones are sought after.

For that kind of money, you can have a semi-custom Volquartsen Classic. (Walther GSP expert.. $2k will take you to nationals) BUT... but...

Ruger Mark iv target, with models from $400 to $600 at Buds is what you want.
Some may say the Browning Buckmark is their choice.
I prefer the Ruger because there are so many aftermarket trigger group kits you can install yourself for $150 that the Buckmark lacks.
Actually, I prefer the Ruger Mark ii or III series because you can get a nice used one for $300 or a used competition model with ultradot sight for $500 right now on Gunbroker. And drop in a $130 trigger kit but it probably doesn't need it. Although... the mark iv is already drilled and tapped for an optics rail.. so... anyways, I have a cutomized Norinco copy of a Walther target gun that you just can't buy anymore. Target shooting used to be a thing in America!

The accuracy of a cheap Ruger semi-auto runs rings around that of a $1000 revolver. There is simple less wiggle in a blowback design.

Like automatic transmission and manual... use the right tool for the job. Semi auto pistols have only been around for about 120 years... give this new-fangled tech a chance. For .22.... semi auto is the way to go.

Only disadvantage is the semi auto throws the brass into the weeds.
Old January 29, 2023, 04:32 PM   #40
Carmady

Here's an option for the .22 revolver. Also comes with among the best customer service anywhere.

Iirc CA has three main/hammer springs; green for RF; blue for Undercovers; red for the Bulldogs. If she finds the trigger too stiff a blue spring will be lighter, but may not be 100% firing the .22s

https://charterfirearms.com/collecti...ith-4-2-barrel
Old January 29, 2023, 08:37 PM   #41
FITASC

Personally, for snakes as well as two and 4 legged critters, I would look for a 3" steel S&W along the lines of a model 60 or similar
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 30, 2023, 09:40 AM   #42
rms65

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete View Post
Although I consider myself a "revolver" guy, a .22 LR target pistol should be a semi-auto. Here is why:

A S&W Model 35 has the 6" barrel you are looking for, and one from the '50s or 60's is what you want. A nice one is about $1600.

You could get a Model 17 Masterpiece new for $1150 or 617 for $915 but... well, I expect you'd feel another $300 for a basic trigger job and tune would be worth it. That's one reason the old ones are sought after.

For that kind of money, you can have a semi-custom Volquartsen Classic. (Walther GSP expert.. $2k will take you to nationals) BUT... but...

Ruger Mark iv target, with models from $400 to $600 at Buds is what you want.
Some may say the Browning Buckmark is their choice.
I prefer the Ruger because there are so many aftermarket trigger group kits you can install yourself for $150 that the Buckmark lacks.
Actually, I prefer the Ruger Mark ii or III series because you can get a nice used one for $300 or a used competition model with ultradot sight for $500 right now on Gunbroker. And drop in a $130 trigger kit but it probably doesn't need it. Although... the mark iv is already drilled and tapped for an optics rail.. so... anyways, I have a cutomized Norinco copy of a Walther target gun that you just can't buy anymore. Target shooting used to be a thing in America!

The accuracy of a cheap Ruger semi-auto runs rings around that of a $1000 revolver. There is simple less wiggle in a blowback design.

Like automatic transmission and manual... use the right tool for the job. Semi auto pistols have only been around for about 120 years... give this new-fangled tech a chance. For .22.... semi auto is the way to go.

Only disadvantage is the semi auto throws the brass into the weeds.
Thanks. When I said she wants a 22 revolver for target shooting, it's more for fun plinking and some paper. She's not trying to shoot tiny groups on regulation targets. She (and I) just like the challenge of shooting progressively smaller targets. If regulation 22 pistol target shooting was the goal, you're right a revolver wouldn't be the most practical choice.
Old January 30, 2023, 05:00 PM   #43
sharpshooter28

9mm for sure
Old January 30, 2023, 05:04 PM   #44
rms65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter28 View Post
9mm for sure
9mm Revolver?
Old January 30, 2023, 06:27 PM   #45
stinkeypete

Welcome to the world of "finding your walking about handgun."

The simple answer is
"Get a nice used S&W Model 19, 357 Magnum will shoot .38 special all day.... $800."
or
"I would rather have a K-38 Masterpiece (.38 special) for.. about $850 or a nice older model 14 or 15, used. Say what you want, but .38 special is not weak tea."

Or, you could decide that single action is really the way to go for field use.

A Ruger Single Six in .22 LR and .22 WMR one could argue covers a lot of your needs. No one here is going to volunteer to stand in front of a .22 WMR.

If you think a single action shoots too slow, look up some youtube videos of Cowboy Action shooters showing you how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsexKLYtCkI

Personally, my choices for the field, after many years are:
Ruger LCRX in .38 special 3" because it's so handy
Ruger Bisley Single Six 7 1/7 inch .32 H&R Magnum because I reload and these things are simply amazingly fun and just the right size.
Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 5 1/2 inch .44 Magnum because having tried the whole range of Blackhawks and Vaqueros and this is the one I kept for many reasons.
Ruger Bearcat .22. Because it's just so darned fun. It's a little jewel.
Bersa Thunder .380. It's nicer than the Walther PPK and I owned a PPK. Anyone that thinks .380 is not enough I have no use for. Very accurate, great trigger, but it throws the brass in the weeds. Otherwise another great pocket pistol.

The biggest disappointment for me ever was the S&W 317 kit gun which was terribly inaccurate for a freakin' expensive little gun and S&W never made it right after a trip back to the factory. It soured me on S&W and made me a Ruger fan for life. I have owned a heck of a lot of handguns... which I swapped for others, which got swapped for others.. keeping only my favorites along the way. Your mileage will vary, and your path will be different!

Last edited by stinkeypete; January 30, 2023 at 06:43 PM.
Old January 30, 2023, 09:54 PM   #46
FITASC

Quote:
If regulation 22 pistol target shooting was the goal, you're right a revolver wouldn't be the most practical choice.
A S&W K-22 Target Masterpiece, shot single action, will run rings around most semis...
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 1, 2023, 12:56 PM   #47
Moon Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms65 View Post
I'm another NY refugee that just got a place in Arkansas. There's plenty of room for shooting and a little homestead. Being a (conservative) New Yorker the rest of my life, I know almost nothing about handguns. My wife however has a real interest in handguns. She's even rented some at ranges during her travels. She's determined that she likes revolvers over automatics. She also likes to hike, loves to garden and hates snakes.

I want to get her a small revolver for snakes that she can keep in her pocket for gardening and walking around the property. I'm thinking 22?

I also want to get her a small a small revolver for two legged snakes outside the property. I'm thinking 38spl/357?

I'm wondering if these first two can be done by one revolver.

Since she likes to shoot revolvers for fun I'd definitely like to get her something nice, that's full sized and shoots both double and single action. Not sure which caliber I'm thinking low recoiling centerfire. Not as anemic as 22lr but something fun to shoot plates with and alot. Not sure on caliber. Readily available and cheap is preferred for something that will be shot a lot.

I know this is a real can of worms to open. I don't expect serious in depth information on all the models that might work for each scenario. I'm looking more for general selection guidelines that might be helpful. Things like caliber, barrel length and brands to look for and stay away from. I look on GunBroker.com and there's literally thousands of pistols in each caliber that range from $160 to over 2k. I'm looking to narrow down my choices a bit. I'm not made of money but I'll spend money when needed. I'm figuring I'm ok if the guns average in the $600 range.

Thank you very much
Ron
How about this one? https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/j-frame-163070
Old February 27, 2023, 08:26 PM   #48
oldbear1950

revolver for the wife

I purhased my wife a charter arms 32 mag. is right up there with 38s but not even half the recoil.

I reload so finding ammo is not a problem. Tried a 38 but that 2 inch barrel had too much recoil.

And being in Arkansas might even run across 32 S & W
Old February 27, 2023, 09:58 PM   #49
rms65

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbear1950 View Post
I purhased my wife a charter arms 32 mag. is right up there with 38s but not even half the recoil.

I reload so finding ammo is not a problem. Tried a 38 but that 2 inch barrel had too much recoil.

And being in Arkansas might even run across 32 S & W
Thanks but I can't find 32 caliber snake shot and I'm not ready to handload.

Thanks moon falcon for the recommendations. Those s&w are DA only. I'm gonna get her a Ruger LCRX in 38 special. It'll be small and light and I can get snake shot for it.
Be well all.
Ron
Old March 2, 2023, 08:44 AM   #50
camsdaddy

I would look strongly at the LCRx and the Taurus 856. The LCRx for all the reasons previous mentioned. I like think the Taurus 856 has come a long way quality wise. Taurus offers a light weight 6 shot revolver in 2" and 3". These are very similar to a j frame in size.