The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 23, 2023, 07:41 PM   #26
saleen322

Handload
Old January 23, 2023, 08:13 PM   #27
stagpanther

Used ftx bullets? i have lots of them but it's been hard for me making them shoot reliably consistent out of anything--I often get better results with Lehigh xtreme penetrators. Great shooting!

Last edited by stagpanther; January 23, 2023 at 08:21 PM.
Old January 23, 2023, 10:35 PM   #28
saleen322

I had the best accuracy with the 200s. The 240 XTP-Mag shows promise as I was getting vertical stringing which usually means fine tuning the powder charge will likely help. IMHO once the groups go round, you need to move on from powder charge weight; seating depth, etc. The 240s were still respectable around 3" @ 100 yds. It was about this time I got sidetracked with a NOE 265 cast bullet that was showing promise but I need to do more testing. As an aside, if you are shooting a bunch from the bench, put something under your elbow as it will get dragged on the bench some.

Old January 24, 2023, 01:07 AM   #29
stagpanther

Nice set-up there (I know what your talking about on elbow rash). Another question if I may--looks like you're using a Leupold pistol scope, how well do you find it performs; not just from the bench but also freehand shooting? Finding a good scope to work well on a pistol isn't easy in my experience. XTP's are great bullets and usually my go-to for handgun reloads when possible.

Last edited by stagpanther; January 24, 2023 at 01:12 AM.
Old January 25, 2023, 09:59 AM   #30
DaleA

IMhO you should seriously consider the 460.

With the 'right' ammunition it might not be too bad and again, IMhO, with the price of ammo for the 460 being what it is and the fact the revolver lets you easily recover your brass you'll probably wind up reloading for the gun anyway so you can make whatever ammunition you want.

All that said, maybe you want to take a look at S&W's newest X-Frame in 350 Legend.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-350

A seven-shot X-Frame (the 460 is only a five-shot) that is apparently pretty easy on recoil.

Disclaimer: I just found out about this gun last night---it's on the cover of the latest American Rifleman magazine.
Old January 25, 2023, 10:14 AM   #31
stagpanther

I messed around with the 350 L when it was first rolled out and still have (too) many guns in it--not the slightest bit interested in it. The majority of my ammo used is hand-loads so if I can find brass--or form it--I'm good.
Old January 25, 2023, 10:38 AM   #32
HKGuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
Holding the gun with a death grip isn't correct form. Loosen up a bit and it won't be so bad. Roll with the recoil.

As I stated above, the recoil isn’t the issue, it is the concussion that rattled my teeth and jaw. Where I was shooting may have partially contributed. But as a FIRST revolver I remain firmly in the no camp.

I managed the recoil just fine if you watched the video.
Old January 25, 2023, 11:26 AM   #33
stagpanther

Quote:
But as a FIRST revolver I remain firmly in the no camp.
What I said was first S&W revolver--I've shot 41 and 44 mag blackhawks for years. I also have a single-shot handgun in 6.5 creedmoor--it too is LOUD. Not that I lust after guns that pound my ear drums and hands--most "big bang" cartridges I shoot it's usually a question of finding the sweet spot hold to optimize accuracy while minimizing self-abuse.
Old January 25, 2023, 07:56 PM   #34
saleen322

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
.... Another question if I may--looks like you're using a Leupold pistol scope, how well do you find it performs; not just from the bench but also freehand shooting? ....
I have had good service from Leupold and Burris pistol scopes. I had one issue with a single Leupold (can't even remember what it was now) that they fixed under warranty. All of the Burris scopes I used were made in the USA and never had an issue with any of them. I competed in what now is called precision pistol with a Gil Hebard Burris that never gave me any problems and it was adjusted just about every match. Never a problem and it always tracked accurately.
Old January 26, 2023, 12:51 AM   #35
stagpanther

Quote:
I have had good service from Leupold and Burris pistol scopes. I had one issue with a single Leupold (can't even remember what it was now) that they fixed under warranty. All of the Burris scopes I used were made in the USA and never had an issue with any of them. I competed in what now is called precision pistol with a Gil Hebard Burris that never gave me any problems and it was adjusted just about every match. Never a problem and it always tracked accurately.
Thanks for that--the reason I ask is that it gets a little tricky with eye relief vs how far out you hold the gun and getting a good image. I use both Burris and Leupolds on my rifles and they are good performers.
Old January 26, 2023, 02:04 AM   #36
stinkeypete

I would have a used Freedom Arms all day over a new S&W.

Of course that is single action vs. double action, but I can't see the difference when talking big bore handguns.

My experience was with the FA Model 83 in 454 Casull was very positive. In the end, I traded it and kept my .44 Mag Bowen custom Blackhawk, but only because the Blackhawk was lighter and more practical for my shooting, once I was done with my 'more boom!' phase.

I just don't hear people waxing poetic about the S&W and when you're paying that much for lead, why not have something really special to throw them with?
Old January 26, 2023, 02:23 AM   #37
101combatvet

I have looked one over, it's a wrist breaker in my opinion.
Old January 27, 2023, 02:30 AM   #38
stagpanther

Let's forget about the felt-recoil issue for the moment and assume that I am a masterly bionic stud and can handle any cartridge recoil. I've also been taking a look at magnum research's BFR revolvers as an alternative, any opinions as to a qualitative comparison between them and S&W? Thanks.
Old January 27, 2023, 11:36 AM   #39
44caliberkid

I was going to suggest looking at a BFR. I know they have come in 460 S&W in the past, although I couldn’t find that caliber listed on the website currently. BFR production is actually a pretty small operation involving just a handful of skilled workers. Each pistol final assembly is handled by one person who signs his work. They now have custom ordering, so you can go to the site, fill out a custom order with exactly what you want and they will build it. I would recommend the Bisley grip frame. Even though I own double action big magnum revolvers, I almost always shoot them single action. So the BFR is a good choice. I’ll include a link to a BFR Custom Shop review.

https://www.handgunsmag.com/editoria...-review/370524
Old January 27, 2023, 12:01 PM   #40
stagpanther

Quote:
I was going to suggest looking at a BFR. I know they have come in 460 S&W in the past, although I couldn’t find that caliber listed on the website currently. BFR production is actually a pretty small operation involving just a handful of skilled workers. Each pistol final assembly is handled by one person who signs his work. They now have custom ordering, so you can go to the site, fill out a custom order with exactly what you want and they will build it. I would recommend the Bisley grip frame. Even though I own double action big magnum revolvers, I almost always shoot them single action. So the BFR is a good choice. I’ll include a link to a BFR Custom Shop review.
Thanks for that--I've already been on their custom shop order site and have been perusing their offerings. My revolvers have all been single shot so that doesn't bother me, though a swing-out cylinder is kinda nice. Agree on the Bisley grip too.
Old January 29, 2023, 06:12 PM   #41
44caliberkid

The new American Rifleman has a review of the S&W X frame in 350 Legend. It comes with a full moon clip, although not necessary as it will seat on the case mouth too. But that tells me it will probably also be offered in the rimmed 360 Buckhammer cartridge by Remington. I’m sure Smith knew this was coming, considering past collaborations with Remington. They only tested it at 50 yards, would have liked to seen 100 yard performance. Also interesting that the test revolver had a timing problem and had to be returned to the factory for a new cylinder and yoke.
Old January 30, 2023, 09:21 AM   #42
stagpanther

meheavy is the big 350L fan here--he might want one--I'm not a fan of the cartridge myself.
Old January 30, 2023, 01:38 PM   #43
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
meheavy is the big 350L fan here--he might want one--I'm not a fan of the cartridge myself.
I know you aren’t, me either. Prefer 450 Bush myself. I just thought it interesting the test gun had to be returned for major repair.
Old January 30, 2023, 01:50 PM   #44
stagpanther

Quote:
I just thought it interesting the test gun had to be returned for major repair.
Doesn't surprise me. Maybe the new remmie 360 cartridge is aimed squarly at knocking the legend out. I hope it succeeds.
Old January 30, 2023, 05:46 PM   #45
saleen322

The 350 Legend may be of interest for some. It looks like it is a ballistic match for the old 357 Super Mag/Maximum. I still have SMs in 357 and 375 from the old silhouette days. I did wonder why they chose a 0.355" bore for the 350 Legend vs. the more standard 0.357 for revolvers.
Old January 30, 2023, 08:24 PM   #46
stagpanther

I'm really intrigued by MR's offering of 30-30 and 307 win that can be used in the same revolver (as well as 300 BLK).
Old February 1, 2023, 03:16 PM   #47
Sevens

I've had my 460XVR (8-3/8" with swappable comp) for maybe 7 or 8 years now. The log says 655 shots through it. I bought this because a buddy had to move a number of guns to help fund the purchase of a house. I figured it would be just for fun and it has delivered. I use it for two things, really.

From a rest, I slap plates at 100, 200 and 300 yards. I have no scope mounted to it. But more often than that, I bring it out for the wow/fun factor. I have had kids as young as 12 shoot this and unless I am forgetting someone, -NOBODY- wanted to quit with just one shot.

The weight of the revolver, the excellent comp and porting and the ugly but effective Hogue grip all work together to seriously tame the recoil. God's honest truth, I find this revolver more enjoyable than most .44 Magnums that I have ever shot, and the worst .44 Magnums in my hands have definitely been Ruger Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk revolvers. And my Freedom 83 in .454 Casull with 7-1/2" barrel is absolutely more nasty in recoil, no doubt.

I got an opportunity to buy a fat load of the Hornady 240gr XTP-Mag bullet so that's basically all I send through it, powered by 48.0 grains of H-110. I find it interesting and entertaining that at leaves this revolver at 2,000 fps and my ballistic calculator tells me that it is the same diameter as .45 ACP Hardball, ten grains heavier than .45 Hardball and it is going almost exactly the same speed as .45 ACP Hardball at the muzzle (around 800 fps) when my 240 XTP-Mag is at 500 yards.

No, I don't shoot for targets at 500 yards, but it's still a fun fact.

I can certainly imagine that heavier bullets than my 240's could increase the felt recoil, but I haven't ventured there. The super fast 200gr FTX factory load gives me less felt recoil... and I'm going from memory because we went through six boxes of that stuff to begin the brass supply.

With no doubt, the Freedom is a much finer handgun, better built, it's probably not close, but I'm not much of a hogleg kinda guy.

The only other blip I can think of to add is that you should look at this more like a two-caliber gun than a three. .454 and .460 end up awfully close in performance but most .45 Colt is so far out of the range of performance... certainly you can shoot it, but you will be hitting a POA that won't be anywhere near where your sights are adjusted. Admittedly, I have never tried .45 Colt in my XVR but I think you have the chance of running out of vertical adjustment before you get .45 Colt to hit POA. This is merely my guess.
Old February 1, 2023, 03:48 PM   #48
stagpanther

very good write-up sevens--must be aa good gun because I can't seem to find one available.
Old February 3, 2023, 06:25 AM   #49
GeauxTide

I'm with the more "manure" crowd at 74. Only positive I see is you can shoot 45 Colt through it, I've not been enamored with the X frame. I would consider a Redhawk 45 Colt. Having owned several Model 29s and 57s over the years, they are top shelf; however, my six Blackhawks tuned with sights, Belt Mountain Base Pin, and trigger job are just as accurate. My last 3 Blackhawks, two new 44 Special and a 357, needed no trigger work. Forgive my blathering, but a 285gr SWC, at 1057, blows through hogs to 40 yards. 1.5" at 25, too.
Old February 3, 2023, 10:32 AM   #50
eastbank

my .460 S&W is in a ruger #1 single shot, i have not worked with it yet. i will when the weather gets better. it should be as good as my ruger #1 in 45-70.