The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 16, 2018, 11:39 PM   #1
Felenari

Foam for Pelican cases.

Anyone know a good place to get blank foam for Pelican cases? I'm looking for cross linked closed cell polyethylene foam.

If no one comes from the future to stop you, how bad could it be?
Old September 17, 2018, 06:30 AM   #2
sako2

Try a google search for pelican replacement foam. https://www.swps.com/replacement-foam.html another one.http://www.foamerica.com/SearchResul...8aAqPFEALw_wcB. looks like amazon has it to.
Old September 17, 2018, 11:17 AM   #3
Felenari

I've been looking for blank sheets I can cut to size for a few of my cases. I've been finding 2lb or 4lb cross linked polyethylene foam for around 95 to 111$ for a 24x48x3inch sheet. I'm trying to cram two rifles and a shotgun side by side in the case for transportation.

Old September 17, 2018, 01:27 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Any fabric shop will have foam. It's used for making pillows and cushions. You really don't need anything else.
It's highly unlikely two rifles and a shotgun will fit in one case regardless of what you do. Not may 3 gun cases around.
Old September 17, 2018, 01:44 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

If you know what you're going to do with the case (what you're going to store in it) there are companies out there who will let you select the type of foam you want and pre-cut it to fit the specific firearms you want to case.
Old September 17, 2018, 01:56 PM   #6
sako2

what case do you have. A 1700
Old September 17, 2018, 05:03 PM   #7
Felenari

All the foams I've seen at fabric stores have been open cell foam which can rust firearms pretty quickly. I've got a Pelican 1750 which might fit all three. Both of my rifles are fairly small. It's a henry frontier .22lr 24" and a remington 700 .243 short action with a 22" barrel and a scope. The shotgun is a 20 or 22", can't remember just this minute, mossberg 535. Random selection I know but it's what I have. Lever action ftw btw.

The other case is a storm case of the same length but 4" deep and about 6 to 7 inches wide. I think I can fit all three if I set them side by side like some of the high capacity pistol cases with 8 handguns.

I've checked out some of the, design your own foam, places but their prices are astronomical 90% of the time and their layout tools are soso. I don't mind paying good money for quality work but I have a foam cutter here and plenty of other tools to cut and finish my own foam. I figured I could buy a big sheet to play with and save some money on the side by getting the unwprked material.

I've been doing more research and I think It's just going to cost me a hundred bucks to get quality foam that won't damage the firearm. I have a first batch henry and it's my baby but I'm too cheap to buy a full sized safe for my five gun collection right now. I got the cases for free and they have two large desiccant kits each right now so they can keep my guns out of the salty seaside breeze where I live. My hammers here rust overnight.

Old September 17, 2018, 06:57 PM   #8
sako2

This what your looking for.https://www.swps.com/17rep3piecfo1.html
Old September 17, 2018, 07:33 PM   #9
Dred

Kaizen Foam Precut for your Pelican at: The Pelican Store

Kaizen sheets: Amazon Link