The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 23, 2012, 07:13 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

What does a scope need to do?

I have a .22 pistol that I recently made a very basic shoulder stock for, so that I can plink a bit more accurately and further away when at the range, or my friend's field.

I'd ultimately like to replace that bored weekend tinkering project (the stock, not the pistol) with a proper .22 bolt action rifle.

Even further down the line, I'd like to get something in the .308 type bracket, too or the likes of that CZ858 I'd asked about a few weeks back.

So what sort of specs should I look for in a scope so that I could mount it on the reail of my MkIII512, but also serve on a 20" .22 rifle and still be competent for some medium distance (400yds) rifle work if I ever get that .308?

My primary needs would be the two .22 applications out to about from 25-150yds.

Please note I don't want model recommendations.
What members recommend would more than likely not be available where I live, or be very expensive.

I just want to know the sorts of characteristics to look for,so that I can apply those criteria to the choices on the shelf here or from any European mail-order companies...
Old June 23, 2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Doyle

Quote:
I have a .22 pistol that I recently made a very basic shoulder stock for
You might better check on the legality of that.
Old June 23, 2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Skimp

For me, a scope must provide three attributes: It must be accurate; it must handle the recoil; and it must clearly focus on the target.
Old June 23, 2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
You might better check on the legality of that.
I have.
Where I live it is perfectly legal.

Nothing prohibiting it in the law, and local range guys confirmed this. A G17 to carbine conversion is even sold as a HD set up!!

Generally any conversions/upgrades such as silencers, and lasers are to be used at ranges only and that is exactly how I intend to treat this.

Over here it is shortening a gun that will get you in do-do!
Old June 23, 2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Tombstonejim

Generally scopes that are suitable for .22 are not useful for higher powered rifles, the eye relief for the 22 scope is to close to the face. When used on a higher powered rifle the eye will be too close to the scope and it will hit you in the face from the recoil.
Old June 24, 2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Pond, James Pond

So, if I'm to look for a scope specifically for the .22, what sort of FoV angle and what sort of magnification will I want etc?

What would be acceptable values and what would be ideal?

That way, when looking in my budget range, I can choose scopes that come closest to the ideal.
Old June 24, 2012, 09:59 AM   #7
4runnerman

Any scope can be put on a 22. The eye relief is not a issue. I have 2 - Ruger 10/22's. On one of them i have a 4-16 x50 scope. If your target shooting you want a high power scope. Your scope must do the 3 things another guy posted,but there is a 4th item it must do. If you are going to maybe swap it on a 308 also. It must track good. This is the main difference you will see in a cheap versus a costly scope. Hold over is fine out to maybe 300 to 400 yards. After that you have to know that X amount of clicks is going to get you were you need to be. The big difference will be on a cheap scope when you click up,It will go up and usually off to the side also. Clarity is not that big of a deal to me any how. I have looked down some $200.00 scopes and in reality the difference is not that big of a deal. The tracking will kill you for sure. I have a Mil Dot on my 223. I zero it for 200 yards and hold over works out to short of 400 yards.It is a cheap model,but i only shoot the 223 out to maybe 400 yards any how so tracking is not a big deal. My 308 i shoot out to 1000 yards, Tracking is (repeatable tracking) very very important there.

Just my 2 cents
Old June 24, 2012, 02:55 PM   #8
tobnpr

Quote:
I have.
Where I live it is perfectly legal.
I think you'd better check again...and the local range guys better read the BATF regs...

Post this thread in the NFA section...

It can be legal- with the proper paperwork and the $200 tax stamp registering it as a short-barreled rifle- which it becomes as soon as you put the stock on it.

Proceed carefully, there's a reservation at Club Fed for those that do this improperly.
Old June 24, 2012, 03:00 PM   #9
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I think you'd better check again...
I live in Estonia...
Old June 24, 2012, 03:21 PM   #10
tobnpr

Ahhh...
Then, that could make a difference....
Old June 24, 2012, 03:34 PM   #11
PawPaw

I love it, when in a worldwide forum, everyone thinks that every law applies to everyone.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old June 24, 2012, 08:49 PM   #12
tobnpr

Actually, it has more to do with the fact that the OP did not disclose the fact that he did not live in the US in his post, than us assuming US laws apply everywhere- which we all know ain't the case.

I'd bet over 99% of the forum members live in the US, so I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption for us to make...
Old June 25, 2012, 09:08 AM   #13
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobnpr
I'd bet over 99% of the forum members live in the US, so I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption for us to make...
True enough, which is why many of us list a location. When I see a posting that looks like it might be a violation of our over-reaching ATF regulations, I check location under the poster's name. I see that he lives "at the top of the Baltic stack", whereas I live in central Louisiana, and you're in Tampa.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com