The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 5, 2011, 08:56 PM   #101
engineermike

Oh Tx,
Armoredman's info is correct, the part of Mal's post is the part that says, "you have to load a particular bullet to the OAL that works," this is misleading as is the quote in my last post. I guess if you take out the middle paragraph of post 83 then I would have to agree with you.
Old September 6, 2011, 10:12 PM   #102
TXGunNut

Thanks, Mike. Some of us are guilty of keeping old manuals a bit too close to the laptop. Glad Armoredman caught that for us.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 7, 2011, 05:41 AM   #103
hulley

I'm planning on firing my current batch tomorrow and I'll be sure and let everyone know how it goes. I can hand cycle every round in both guns and each time the round will seat flush, along with the case gauge test and barrel (both CW9 and P225) test. I'm confident everything will go fine.......asuming the gun doesnt blow up in my hands!
Old September 7, 2011, 05:35 PM   #104
Berry's MfG

The FP or HP profile on the 9mm is a hard COL to hit for all pistols, that's why I recommend the RN for most applications unless you've got a lot of loading experience under your belt. Your images show very heavy crimp, but it sounds like the guys have you pointed in the right direction.
Old September 7, 2011, 05:47 PM   #105
engineermike

Yea, I still have 600 (124 grain HP) of them but I'm sure someday i'll buy a gun they will fit and use them up. I'm leaning more to the 115 grain bullets for my 9mm's now. Don't worry Jay I still like your bullets. The 155 grain HBRN and the 180 HP in the S&W 40/ 10mm are among my favorites in my 40.

Good luck Hulley
Old September 8, 2011, 08:46 AM   #106
Berry's MfG

Send them back to me and I'll replace them with our new 124gr HBRN-TP, they've been really well received by our USPSA shooters. If I have any of our new HP's on hand I will put a few teasers in the box as well
Old September 8, 2011, 08:52 AM   #107
armoredman

Woohoo! Now that's customer service!
Old September 8, 2011, 11:48 AM   #108
engineermike

I'll just keep them Jay, the bullets are not bad and I'm sure I'll run into some one who can use them or I might buy another gun they will fit in. (They're not going to stop making guns are they? ) But my next order I will try the 124 HBRN's been hearing good things about them. But when will the new HP's be on the market, and are they going to be for practice or protection? They look impressive and yes armoredman their costumer service is very good.

All this might be little off topic. But we might as well be doing something while we are waiting for Hulley to give us a report.
Old September 8, 2011, 12:14 PM   #109
Berry's MfG

Shooting for the 1st of the year, performance based HP for controlled expansion and weight retention.
Old September 8, 2011, 02:53 PM   #110
hulley

Thanks Jay! I'm pretty confident that I have it all worked out, I got some great help from the fellas and I learned ALOT.
Those SD rounds look preety sweet and I'm sure i'll pick some of those up soon. I've already ordered a box 115gr RN.
Old September 8, 2011, 07:40 PM   #111
dunerjeff

Solid copper I assume,works for Barnes(but way too expensive) That would help pistols become better for more hunting situations.
Old September 11, 2011, 06:27 PM   #112
hulley

ARGGHH! Now my new rounds are FTL! I only tried 3 rounds but all three would get hung up when trying to load. Kinda like they are too short. I'm pretty frustrated. I've got some lead cast RN that I'm gonna try.

Anything I may have missed?
Berry's JHP 124gr 9mm
ACC #5, 6gr load
Fed small primers
1.050 OAL
Old September 11, 2011, 06:52 PM   #113
dunerjeff

How are they hanging up? Bullet nose hittng top of barrel,or nose diving into bottom?
Old September 11, 2011, 07:11 PM   #114
hulley

Top of barrel if I remember right. I have two rounds that are damaged on the tip of the bullit.
Old September 11, 2011, 07:38 PM   #115
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It's probably wedging against the feed ramp. Is this under firing conditions or with you closing the slide manually?
Old September 11, 2011, 07:56 PM   #116
hulley

this is under firing conditions. When I hand cycled everything seemed to work fine. It could have been unde the feedramp, i should have looked closer. Is that likely because the OAL was pretty short?

I just loaded 10 rouns of
125gr lead cast RN
acc # 5 at 6.0grs
OAL of 1.140.

Did the drop test in case gauge and barrel and all was good. The OAL is a fai amount longe so I'm hoping I'll have some success. If his does work than I'm gonna set aside the Berrys JHPs that i have and get some RN and try that.

Reloading is a lot of trial and error isnt?

Last edited by hulley; September 11, 2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 11, 2011, 10:19 PM   #117
armoredman

Yes it is. Sorry you're having such trouble with them.
Old September 11, 2011, 11:44 PM   #118
TXGunNut

Is it any specific round, like the last one in a magazine?
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 12, 2011, 05:32 AM   #119
hulley

^^ When I load a mag and rack the slide there is no problem. After the first round is fired it jams, clear jam and the very next round jams.
Old September 12, 2011, 10:05 AM   #120
Berry's MfG

Hulley - You want to try some RN's?
Old September 12, 2011, 10:23 AM   #121
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetzakilla
FIRST, size a case and see if it ALONE fits your chamber.

Assuming it does, do this:

Assemble your gun. Use all appropriate safety precautions during all steps of this test. Find a, preferably wooden, rod that will fit down your barrel. Slide it down from the muzzle until it touches the breach face. Make a mark on it with a marker or preferably a razor edge right against the muzzle.

Disassemble your gun so as to remove the barrel. Use something convenient to GENTLY push a bullet into the chamber until it touches the rifling. GENTLY. Do not "push" against the rifling to any significant degree, just hold it there. Push the previously used rod down through the muzzle until it touches the bullet that is still against the rifling. Mark your rod again. It helps to have 3 hands for this step.

Measure the distance between the marks. This is the length that would have your finished round headspacing on the rifling.

If it were me, I'd subtract about .010 off this number and create a "dummy" round to see if it fits. A dummy round is just case and bullet prepared exactly as a live round without powder and primer. See if it fits.

.010 gives you plenty of distance from the rifling, allows for normal headspacing and provides plenty of room for minor measurement error.
I saw this post on another board (heresy, I know)
Calculating OAL
It sounds like it is pretty much the same technique, except for subtracting off .010, you think?
Old September 12, 2011, 10:31 AM   #122
hulley

Jay, yes I do! PM me a number to call you and I'll order some! I need an easy bullet to load so I can get something to go right!
Old September 12, 2011, 11:07 AM   #123
Berry's MfG

Hulley - I've got some samples on the way so when you get the chance to shoot them let us all know how they worked for you The guys over at the CZ Forum have been posting their results for some time now:

http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=39679.0
Old September 12, 2011, 11:15 AM   #124
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInAtl View Post
It sounds like it is pretty much the same technique, except for subtracting off .010, you think?
It probably is, the technique is not mine and has been discussed on this and other boards many times.
Old September 12, 2011, 11:58 AM   #125
hulley

Thanks Jay, looking forward to getting them!