The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 8, 2020, 09:52 AM   #1
10-96

New Sig P210 Target Question

I just picked up a new US P210 and I've come across something which I don't believe I've ever seen before. When drawing the hammer back to the first click (almost like a half cock notch), the hammer falls with a trigger pull.
Does anyone else's do this?
Do the German and Swiss models do it as well?
And lastly, I watched a video where a feller with a German 210 had to insert a clip to actuate the trigger. Which models have/had clip safety disconnects?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 8, 2020, 10:35 AM   #2
stinkeypete

Not interested in what happens other than how are your groups? Do you like it? Which model did you get? Do you like it? What ammo/load are you using? Post pictures of targets, please include range distance...

There are not many things on my wish list, but you might have one of them! Congrats!
Old October 8, 2020, 11:15 AM   #3
Jim Watson

My Swiss P210-6 has a magazine disconnect and will drop the hammer from the "half cock." I don't know about the German models.

The "safety stop" instead of a traditional undercut half cock was first seen on an American made gun in the Series 80 Colts. It scared a lot of people but it was designed ONLY to catch the hammer if it was jarred off and I think it was meant to discourage you from carrying the gun at half cock.
Old October 8, 2020, 05:45 PM   #4
10-96

Quote:
Not interested in what happens other than how are your groups? Do you like it? Which model did you get? Do you like it? What ammo/load are you using? Post pictures of targets, please include range distance...
Pete, 2020 has most certainly been out to get me, it's been the worst year. I don't know when I'll get to shoot it. The exact same cotton picking day I went to pick it up, I ended up impaling my hand. As soon as I get healed up, I will indeed hit the range with a full report... unless 2020 bites me in the rear again.

Old October 9, 2020, 12:09 AM   #5
stephen426

@10-96,

Congrats on the new gun! I have had mine for a few years already. Once you are able to shoot it, I'm sure you'll love it. I have the original P210 Swiss version as well as the German P210 Legend as well. All of them will drop the hammer from the half-cock position when the trigger is pulled. As for the mag disconnect, only the Swiss version has that "feature". The German and American version of the P210 resolved some of the "issues" of the Swiss version. Both have extended beaver tails so prevent the P210 "hammer bite" issue and both have the "American" mag release rather than the heel mag release. The triggers pulls are pretty similar with three guns, with the Swill being the cleanest of the breaks. The Swiss version has the most rounds through it so the others may loosen up. The guns all all single action only and have a slight take up that moves the hammer slightly before breaking cleanly. The American version is rated at 3.5 lbs if I recall. I don't have a trigger gauge so I cannot confirm. It is very light and crisp though. It is a good thing you went with the Target version. Other than "improved" adjustable sights, you get a fiber optic front sight and nicer grips that have better ergonomics. It is a great shooting gun and I hope you get to shoot your soon. The American version has some short fallings compared to the Swiss and German version according to BAC1023. He is probably the foremost authority on Sig P210s on this forum and has one of the nicest gun collections of anyone on here. Regardless, the American P210 us a great shooter and is highly accurate. Enjoy it!
Old October 9, 2020, 12:19 AM   #6
stephen426

@ StinkeyPete,

The American version of the P210 is highly accurate and the amazing trigger will allow you to get very tight groups. The target version has a adjustable rear sight and fiber optic front sight. It is hard to say how accurate the gun is because it is more accurate than I am capable of shooting. I have not had the chance to run a bunch of different ammo through it, but what I did shoot was very tight.

I bought mine for $1400 a few years ago. As to whether or not it is worth it really depends on your intended use for it. As a target gun, it is certainly accurate enough to hold its own. It is not a race or competition gun since it only holds 8 rounds in the mag. I don't believe it is an ideal carry gun due to the size, weight, and limited ammo capacity. I guess there are people who carry full sized 1911s with 7+1 of .45 ACP, but I wouldn't carry mine.

BAC1023 mentioned that the CZ Tactical Sport Orange will probably shoot as well, if not better than the P210. It could easily be used as a race gun and holds 20 rounds. Going price is about $1700 and I will probably pick one up eventually.

Link to previous thread: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=599306

Last edited by stephen426; October 9, 2020 at 12:38 AM.
Old October 9, 2020, 03:22 AM   #7
rock185

I've been a 210 fan since the '80s, and have owned a few on and off since. Pulling the trigger will cause the hammer to fall on Swiss, German and American versions. As Jim Watson mentions, this is similar to pulling the hammer of a series '80 Colt back to the safety shelf, and pulling the trigger. The hammer will fall, but with insufficient energy to discharge a round. Only my Swiss guns have had the magazine safety/disconnect.

I've had an American 210A for over two years. The trigger as received started out around 3.5# on my digital gauge, but has settled down now to about 3.25#. I believe the negatives about the American 210A chiefly involve concerns about the MIM lockwork. I've had/have guns with MIM components, and while I don't like the idea of MIM, confess I've never had a MIM component fail or cause any issue whatsoever...

And yes, BAC has an incredible collection of SIGs, and about every other high end target pistol on the planet, I think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 210s (8) - Copy.JPG (122.6 KB, 36 views)
Old October 9, 2020, 05:59 PM   #8
10-96

I really appreciate everyones responses thus far- Thanks!

I have to admit, it limited dry firing, seeing it drop from it's first notch- and seeing the hammer cam back during the trigger pull put all kinds of weird thoughts into my head. Normally, when a hammer cams back it usually indicates a tough and unpleasant overall trigger pull. But WOW! A feller could really learn to like this critter! I tried to get a good pull reading with my scale, but with a bum hand, my readings were all over the place from not being able to hold everything steady.

Anybody see any problems with trying 125gr LSWC, Green Dot, and CCI SPP's?

Old October 9, 2020, 10:40 PM   #9
Jim Watson

I loaded 9mm with Green Dot for a while.
Good luck with 9mm SWC. Some will, some won't.
Old October 10, 2020, 05:48 PM   #10
bac1023

They all do that.
Old October 11, 2020, 02:36 PM   #11
rt11002003

I've previously added my comments, in another thread, about the p210, both the Swiss version and the American Target Model. I still own the American Target Model. Most everything I said is covered by the comments from others in this thread.

I want to add the the triggers of both my p210 and my X5 Level 1 seem to perform exactly the same. Makes both of them a dream to shoot accurately.

I haven't tried the CZ Tactical Sport Orange, keep hearing it's great. I've owned an initial Tactical Sport for several years, ever since they came out. I'm using a Venom red dot these days, enables me to use both eyes which I like. A friend worked a bit on springs, the trigger assembly and installed a metal guide rod. Perhaps the Orange model is better. Don't see how. I've had several CZs including a model one step below the Checzmate (spelling); this was several years ago. Can't remember the model name.

The p210 Target seems to me to be the best value around. At least when I bought mine.
Old October 12, 2020, 06:50 AM   #12
PzGren

The early Danish m/47 did not have a safety notch in the hammer for a half cock and many were retrofitted with the hammers with the half cock option.

The mag disconnect was standard in the P210-4 used by the German BGS, it also had a LCI but no lanyard loop. The mag disconnect is easily removed and I have removed them from all my SIG's.
You can see the empty slot in the frame of my P210-6. On the left side is the American version for comparison:

On the range both guns shot pretty much the same for me. My shooting buddy shoots solid master results of 98% and above and the P210A in my photo was bought by him. He shot me P210-4 and P210-6 in direct comparison to the P210A, he now wants a P210-2 (basically the same set up as the -4) but with the optional adjustable sights that I have on my -6.
Old October 12, 2020, 06:58 AM   #13
PzGren

The differences between the service style P210s and the sports versions (-5 and -6) is in the trigger spring weight, the shape of the trigger blade and an adjustable trigger stop as well as a slightly different trigger force transfer system. While the sports version also have the hammer unit screwed in, as the American version does, the fit of the service model hammer units is so tight, that I see no need for that.

And this is a -1, the polished version of the civilian Swiss service pistol. I love the Swiss cross on it! It has grips on it that were marketed by Oschatz, a German custom shop and gunsmith.

Old October 12, 2020, 04:49 PM   #14
10-96

Very interesting. I thought the US versions were the only ones to screw in the trigger pack.

Also, has anyone ordered the DPM recoil reduction system as a result of a broken factory recoil guide rod? I went ahead and ordered one out of Israel, hopefully I won't need it. The comfort of knowing I have a backup on hand will be a bit reassuring. I can't believe Sig hasn't come up with a fix for the end of the guide rod breaking off.

Old October 14, 2020, 07:17 AM   #15
PzGren

10-96,

the recoil rods of SIG P210s do not have any issues that I am aware of. Are you talking SIGs or SIG Sauers? We have to clearly differentiate Swiss, German and American models.
Old October 15, 2020, 06:12 PM   #16
10-96

PzGren, On the SigTalk forum, there seems to be quite a bit of chatter about the US models where the end of the rod breaks off at the screw/bolt near the noisy end.

Old October 16, 2020, 07:33 PM   #17
bbqncigars

I like my US P210, as traditional steel and wood guns are attractive to me. It is accurate with a nice trigger but neither is any better (for me) than my much cheaper Canik TP9SFX. These days I am seriously lusting after an Archon B after watching Flannel Daddy's exhaustive review of one. I realize that a normal shooter will not match his performance, but still...
Old October 22, 2020, 01:19 PM   #18
wild cat mccane

"noisy end" ha!

Nice looking for sure. Very tempted with the $1,200 pricing. But having looked at them for a while.

I agree with the above. My short lived SP-01 Tactical did not live up to the hype in trigger compared to my PPQ.

It's not even "different strokes" kinda observation. The trigger on the CZ just wasn't as good by any measure anyone could throw out. @ 3 times the cost, the Orange better have cleaned up ever aspect of it.
Old October 22, 2020, 04:53 PM   #19
10-96

The CZ Orange trigger I felt was very nice, but I couldn't tell you if it was in the same ballpark as the P210 or that fancy Tanfoglio near-racegun pistol I handled.

Both of my hammered CZ's ended up with good carry triggers, but that was only through quite a bit of range time and break-in. I have the basic 75 BD and the 75 D PCR. I was kind of eyeballing a higher end CZ, but I'd prefer something right to go out of the box without everyone saying to CGW it. No knocks against Cajun, mind you.

Old October 28, 2020, 08:47 AM   #20
Martowski

I've had my P210 Target for maybe a couple years now, hard to remember when I purchased it. Regardless, while I know some of the P210 "purists" will scoff at my American version, it's definitely in the top 3 most accurate centerfire handguns I own. Between it, my Les Baer PII, and Dan Wesson PM9, I'm not sure which is the better shooter. Mechanically they are all pretty darn close, although at around 25 yards it seems I see a marginally more consistent group with the P210.