The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 18, 2021, 05:58 PM   #1
Apsotle13

How much should I pay for these ARs?

At some point I'll be buying a new AR 15, but with the current shortage of everything guns I have no idea when to buy. I know ammo prices are 4 to 5 times what they were a year ago, but I'm not sure about these rifles. I can wait til prices drop, but what would these two cost when things normalize?

Springfield Saint 5.56 NATO

Rock River Arms LAR=15 RRAGE Carbine 5.56 NATO

Thanks!!!
Old January 18, 2021, 06:10 PM   #2
Chipperman

The market today is so crazy.
I'd look at Gunbroker in the completed auctions for those models and see what they are going for now. There are going to be regional differences in the market, but Gunbroker will give you a national average.

If they're <1000, consider picking one up

Out of those two I'd take the Saint
Old January 18, 2021, 07:07 PM   #3
FITASC

What makes you think after the inauguration ARs will even be legal going forward? Point is, if there is one you want today better buy it today - kinda like going to Costco.........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 18, 2021, 09:10 PM   #4
HiBC

I don't even want to know the answer to this question. You don't need to justify anything to me.

But,for yourself,why do you want two AR-15's now instead of 6 months ago?

I suggest you ask yourself in order to know your priorities.

If they stay legal to own,over time the price and availability will moderate/fall. No matter how much you pay now,its probably an $800 to $1000 rifle,new, Used,its less later.

If they are banned,,,What do you want to risk? It might be like owning a pound of heroin.But there may be black market value.Remember you'll fill out paperwork.

This is a bit like the question "When is the best time to plant a tree?"

Twenty years ago!!

Are you proficient with an AR? Will you have the ammo and a place to shoot to get training and develop skill? Do you know when the AR is a bad idea/good idea???

I don't even want to discuss it . Make your own choices,. Having an AR might be priceless.

But paying $2000 for a $800 AR with one or two magazines and no ammo with no training/experience ?

I can't answer the question. Thats up to you.
Old January 21, 2021, 12:26 AM   #5
P Flados

There are a number of in stock "gun kits" at PSA under $600. These include everything but the stripped lower. We went with PSA for a bunch of stuff including lowers, stripped uppers, complete uppers, lower parts kits, and gun kits.

I am very partial to versions with the M lok handguard. Although PSA provides these gun kits at a low price, everything is generally well made and functional.

Our PSA 223 wylde upper shoots just as accurate as any other 223 / 5.56 in the house.

The kits come with a mil spec trigger. It is what it is and will never be great. Good news is that trigger upgrades are no big deal and good one can be had for under $150. If you want to make things easy on yourself & are willing to do the trigger upgrade up front it will make initial assembly easier.

PSA is out of stripped lowers, but Ammoland has an Anderson lower for $50. These need to be shipped to your FFL.

If you really want to get into the AR game "just because" go with the PSA kit plus a stripped lower (from anywhere you want). It you want to shoot an AR, assembling one from a kit is not "too hard".
Old January 21, 2021, 09:13 AM   #6
smee78

If your really concerned then I would focus on getting a stripped lower. The rest could be found as deals or kits present themselves.
Old January 21, 2021, 10:21 AM   #7
baddarryl

I have a locally built rebranded Delton carbine that I bought in the Obama years for over $800. Obviously not going for that under Trump, but now I don't feel so bad about it. There is an ebb and flow to all of it. I am presently looking for a Colt Gold Cup and just going to have to pay the going rate. Who knows what the future will bring.