The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 8, 2020, 08:13 PM   #26
Fishbed77

Quote:
Yes...when they first came out the street price was less than $400.
$400? Not hardly. Someone (PSA if I recall correctly) had them on sale for around $575, but I never saw them for less than than that. I was following prices closely for a while, as I was in the market for a new 1911 at the time (ended up with a Colt and don’t regret it).
Old December 8, 2020, 08:15 PM   #27
JDBerg

AFAIC, the SR1911 is similar to the SW1911, in that they aren’t as popular as the were back when they were the latest & greatest. Well I have one of each, and I think these are two of the best value 1911’s that primarily show up in the used gun case these days. My guess is these have been displaced by the current crop of latest & greatest guns.
Old December 8, 2020, 08:23 PM   #28
Ruger45LC

Nothing wrong with them, I'd rather have a Ruger 1911 than a Kimber.
Old December 8, 2020, 08:32 PM   #29
Forte S+W

Because Ruger isn't a fancy brand, nor are their 1911s particularly snazzy-looking, and lastly nobody likes how they have that ugly safety warning etched into the underside of the frame.

Other than that, they're fine 1911s.
Old December 8, 2020, 08:40 PM   #30
Brian48

Earlier guns had a problem with the front sight shearing off under even moderate use. It happened twice to my CMD. After the second time, Ruger replaced it with a fiber optic one and its held up ever since. I think they've long since corrected this issue as the newer guns seem to come with a slightly different sight now.

Other than that, the gun's been a great shooter. I actually like the integrated plunger tube.
Old December 8, 2020, 09:21 PM   #31
Doyle

Could it be that the OP has confused the Ruger 1911 with the Remington R1 (which has had its share of quality issues)?
Old December 8, 2020, 09:56 PM   #32
KyJim

Quote:
Could it be that the OP has confused the Ruger 1911 with the Remington R1 (which has had its share of quality issues)?
I very much doubt it.

I did not take his opening post to suggest the gun was not mechanically sound, but took it to be questioning why it was not more popular.
Old December 8, 2020, 09:59 PM   #33
Doyle

Thanks Jim. Yes, you're right - the Ruger 1911 gets no press. Thanks for making your inquiry clearer.
Old December 8, 2020, 10:58 PM   #34
Screwball

I love mine... Series 70 was the big selling point. I did wish they offered a regular ran railed model, especially in stainless, but I do like the lines of a traditional Government model. Worst case, I’ll toss that Recover Tactical railed grip on... if I really need to run a light.

It shoots good, and fills the niche (I’m not necessarily a 1911 guy... definitely not a $2,000+ 1911 guy). Personally, when I get all my other “scary” gun purchases squared away, I plan on rebuilding that SR1911 into something different. Mainly, I’m going to yank all the MIM parts and install stainless. Not that I don’t trust MIM, granted if done right... but that I just like a full stainless gun.
Old December 8, 2020, 11:04 PM   #35
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
No, the O.P. is not confused.
Old December 8, 2020, 11:05 PM   #36
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim View Post
I very much doubt it.

I did not take his opening post to suggest the gun was not mechanically sound, but took it to be questioning why it was not more popular.
Exactly.
Old December 8, 2020, 11:07 PM   #37
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
I love mine... Series 70 was the big selling point. I did wish they offered a regular ran railed model, especially in stainless, but I do like the lines of a traditional Government model. Worst case, I’ll toss that Recover Tactical railed grip on... if I really need to run a light.

It shoots good, and fills the niche (I’m not necessarily a 1911 guy... definitely not a $2,000+ 1911 guy). Personally, when I get all my other “scary” gun purchases squared away, I plan on rebuilding that SR1911 into something different. Mainly, I’m going to yank all the MIM parts and install stainless. Not that I don’t trust MIM, granted if done right... but that I just like a full stainless gun.
They don't make any stainless MIM parts?
Old December 9, 2020, 12:15 AM   #38
Polinese

I love mine, I don't have the round count as some of the others in this thread but it's never given me any sort of problems which is more than I can say for my Sig Sauer 1911.

If and when I get another 1911 I'm gonna get another Ruger. Though I wish they still had their earlier prices...
Old December 9, 2020, 05:23 AM   #39
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
They don't make any stainless MIM parts?

Correct... which is why I’m going to swap those parts out for stainless.

Reread my post.
Old December 9, 2020, 05:34 AM   #40
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwball
Correct... which is why I’m going to swap those parts out for stainless.
I beg ti differ. They do, indeed, make stainless MIM parts.
Jeepaholic
Old December 9, 2020, 05:40 AM   #41
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
I beg ti differ. They do, indeed, make stainless MIM parts.

I stand corrected...

Yet, still unsure why this is even coming up (not you, but dahermit’s post). Sometimes I wonder why I even post here.
Old December 9, 2020, 10:24 AM   #42
pete2

I bought the CMD a few years ago, Ruger replaced the first one, mismachined slide. I returned the replacement because, too much movement at rear of bbl(loosey goosey lockup). shot low, threw brass in my face. Ruger installed a long link(not really a repair), corrected ejection, told me they don't care if it shoots low as long as it groups they don't care where it shoots. I had them install a black sight so I could file it down. Surprisingly it's a good shooter and the long link hasn't caused a problem so far. I did install a Colt seat spring and boosted the hammer, has a good 3-1/2# pull now and I replaced the bat wing safety with a small Colt safety. I really like it in spite of the problems. Stuff like this usually spoils a gun(or other item) for me and I get rid of it.
Old December 9, 2020, 10:53 AM   #43
wild cat mccane

While a great price, for just a bit more you get more known and better options.

I also wonder as well, before the SR1911 Ruger really didn't have a high level firearm in its whole inventory. People who want a 1911 probably notice that more than other buyers of a specific gun type.
Old December 9, 2020, 12:08 PM   #44
L-2

As with Post 30, I had two front sights fracture while shooting. Ruger replaced both broken front sights. This earlier production Ruger 1911 wasn't sighted in well. I believe the later/current Ruger 1911s now have a different height front sight (hopefully doesn't break) and are sighted in better (I don't recall whether my POIs (points of impact) were too high or too low). Ruger uses its own dovetail dimensions and aftermarket front sights don't readily fit.

My slide stop lobe also broke off (@~10,000 rounds). I had another in my parts box (Kimber brand I think) which worked without additional fitting.

I replaced the rear sight with an adjustable Novak sight to dial in the POI. Not Ruger's fault, but this adjustable sight's adjustment screw later fractured while shooting sending its parts flying. I bought another.

My groups were just not as tight as I wanted. I replaced and fitted a new front bushing which tightened up my group a bit more, but still weren't to my liking. I later sold this 1911, but do miss the "Commander" size as I now only have three 5" 1911s left to use.

The parts breakages were inconvenient as it was ~month between each front sight breaking and getting the slide back from Ruger with a new front sight. I liked the integral plunger tube as I've had a plunger tube break on another brand of 1911 (again, very inconvenient with a 3 month turnaround for that one [Guncrafter Ind.]).

The main reason for selling it off was it was just not accurate enough for my expectation. I just couldn't keep it within 6" at 15 yards. I just decided I might as well carry my 5" 1911s for just an extra .75" of barrel length but with more confidence with my accuracy potential. Otherwise, the Ruger's feeding-reliability was fine as long as recoil spring were changed ~every 2000 to 2500 rounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0663.jpeg (993.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0520.jpeg (798.6 KB, 34 views)
Old December 10, 2020, 01:34 PM   #45
T. O'Heir

"...cast frames..." Your vehicle's engine block is cast too. Ruger built their entire business on investment cast parts.
It most like due to nobody thinking of Ruger when they hear 1911/A1. Might have to do with the "most standard, aftermarket 1911 parts and accessories." though.
Old December 10, 2020, 05:08 PM   #46
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...cast frames..." Your vehicle's engine block is cast too. Ruger built their entire business on investment cast parts.
It most like due to nobody thinking of Ruger when they hear 1911/A1. Might have to do with the "most standard, aftermarket 1911 parts and accessories." though.
Ruger's first firearm was his .22 pistol (its shape was based on his earlier enterprise...an electric drill), with no investment cast parts. Also, his original .44 Carbine receiver was not an investment casting. So your statement that his whole "...business was built on investment casting..." is not totally correct. However, in latter years your statement would be more or less accurate.
Old December 11, 2020, 09:35 AM   #47
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
As with Post 30, I had two front sights fracture while shooting. Ruger replaced both broken front sights. This earlier production Ruger 1911 wasn't sighted in well. I believe the later/current Ruger 1911s now have a different height front sight (hopefully doesn't break) and are sighted in better (I don't recall whether my POIs (points of impact) were too high or too low). Ruger uses its own dovetail dimensions and aftermarket front sights don't readily fit.

My slide stop lobe also broke off (@~10,000 rounds). I had another in my parts box (Kimber brand I think) which worked without additional fitting.

I replaced the rear sight with an adjustable Novak sight to dial in the POI. Not Ruger's fault, but this adjustable sight's adjustment screw later fractured while shooting sending its parts flying. I bought another.

My groups were just not as tight as I wanted. I replaced and fitted a new front bushing which tightened up my group a bit more, but still weren't to my liking. I later sold this 1911, but do miss the "Commander" size as I now only have three 5" 1911s left to use.

The parts breakages were inconvenient as it was ~month between each front sight breaking and getting the slide back from Ruger with a new front sight. I liked the integral plunger tube as I've had a plunger tube break on another brand of 1911 (again, very inconvenient with a 3 month turnaround for that one [Guncrafter Ind.]).

The main reason for selling it off was it was just not accurate enough for my expectation. I just couldn't keep it within 6" at 15 yards. I just decided I might as well carry my 5" 1911s for just an extra .75" of barrel length but with more confidence with my accuracy potential. Otherwise, the Ruger's feeding-reliability was fine as long as recoil spring were changed ~every 2000 to 2500 rounds.
I know that Ruger does not make the MIM sights on the SR1911, but your post begs the question: Was that slide stop a MIM part as are the sights?

Other than that...wow! That was a whole lot of failures for one gun. One would hope that Ruger has addressed the problem of brittle MIM parts from their sight provider. Anyone have any current info on that issue?
Old December 11, 2020, 01:02 PM   #48
stinkeypete

What’s wrong with it? Same thing as with their AR-15.

Some may call it “snobbery” and others may call it “tradition” and others may call it whatever the marketing strategy is where Ford is making GT40 race cars...

To me, a good 1911 should have a foundation that is “1911 mil-spec” out of tradition and because there is 100 plus years of built up craftsmanship working on that platform.

When I was buying a bullseye custom 1911, my pistolsmith emphasized the metallurgy of the frame and slide- like wood, some alloys of steel are simply easier to machine and work. Forged frames are a known foundation without possibility of porosity. It used to be Caspian, Colt, Springfield were known to have “good steel” and Norinco was a budget choice. Stainless is right out, as it tends to gall. These were the frames every guy at Camp Perry was shooting.

Ford spends a fortune to make the GT40 race car to beat Ferrari. Why? Ford makes its money selling every day cars and trucks. Then they go and make a NEW GT supercar. Why? Marketing. Stupid as it sounds when buying a minivan, people are thinking they are buying a little bit of supercar.

It’s tough to sell a gun that is “almost a 1911” even though it shoots fine and costs less. No one is sending their SR1911 to have $3,000 worth of tuning, accurizing and customization done to it, so the primitive brand oriented brain assumes they are “not good.” Stupid marketing brains. Branding.

Hunting single actions? Ruger.
.22 rifle? Ruger.
Little pocket pistol? Ruger.
Over and under shotgun??? Nope. To compete against “the Europeans” one can’t be “just as good” at the mid level, you need to be stunning. Or really inexpensive. Look on gunbroker for over and unders, sort by price to see a wide array of scatter guns that cost more than my car. My primitive brain says “yeah, you can’t go wrong with a Beretta. Look at that $30,000 one!”

AR-15? Heck no. Ranch Rifle? Yes! Don’t try to compete with Colt for snobbery or a bunch of guys bolting together parts in the shed for low price. Someone decided that they needed to offer one though, so they make em.

What’s wrong with the SR1911? Nothing except a marketing problem. If they made a 2011 version (double stack race gun) and sponsored a pack of shooters to clean up all the championships, suddenly it’s good. Same gun.
Old December 12, 2020, 08:18 AM   #49
Cowboyfromhell

I had a cmd about 6 yrs ago, my first 1911. It would not get through a box of 50 without a ftf or other malfunction. Sent it back to ruger but the confidence just wasn't there so I sold it off. It also seemed to have rust spots under the grips. Ymmv...
Old December 12, 2020, 09:48 AM   #50
COSteve

Back when they first came out I was looking for a 1911 myself and at that time both the Springfield Mil-Spec and Ruger were about the same price. I chose the Springfield over the Ruger because it had a forged frame and slide. It turned out to be a great choice as it's never failed to feed, never.

When my son 'liberated' my Mil-Spec, I got another Springfield for myself, a Range Officer, and that too is a great shooter. Both of them are 'NM' s/n and both are very accurate, smooth, and solid. If you want to call the fact that Ruger's aren't forged a 'problem' then that's the one that I took issue with.