The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 19, 2021, 03:09 PM   #1
Classic12

Amt small game hunter ii

A few months ago I stumbled on a nice AMT LIGHTNING pistol at an LGS. They told me they had it for years so they were happy to sell it to me at a discount. Gun has been reliable, flawless even and accurate

End of last year I was discussing this with another LGS, and he quickly told me : can I interest you in the rifle from the same maker (and the same shameless copy of a very successful Ruger design).

As an intriguing coincidence, this weapon had also sat there for years, in fact since this LGS opened many years ago. So again I got a discount, and paid exactly the same for both, $ 440.-

I now have a nice pair of AMT weapons.

Hoping the rifle will be as reliable and accurate as the pistol.

Old January 19, 2021, 03:58 PM   #2
GarandTd

Interesting. Were they used or new old stock? Does the AMT(rifle) have any advantages over a Ruger?
Old January 19, 2021, 04:17 PM   #3
Pahoo

Interesting !!!

Unless my "Salty" old eye are deceiving me. I'm seeing another Ruger 10/22 clone. Not disrespectful; just saying. One improvement that I see, is the built in rail. Let us know how what kind of performance, Very interesting !!! ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 19, 2021, 04:35 PM   #4
rc

Good find. I think these are more rare than the lightning with the folding stock. If it's not reliable, sand the inside of the receiver rough spots, check the guide rod and the bolt. 10/22 parts will fit. It is a clone with an integral rail instead of a screwed on base.
Old January 19, 2021, 09:58 PM   #5
GarandTd

An integral rail doubles the price?.......... Ouch. Sorry Classic12. I guess if you are a collector...., I don't see any value there.
Old January 19, 2021, 10:17 PM   #6
rc

GarandTd an all steel 10/22 receiver by Volquartsen is $450.
https://volquartsen.com/products/887...ement-receiver
Nobody is making a stainless trigger or trigger housing these days. How much stronger is that than aluminum?
No amount of stingers is going to crack that receiver or wear out that gun!

The AMT rifles have gone from $250ish used to 600 plus due to their scarcity as time goes on. I think he did good with a rare hunter model even in the 400s. The current cheap 10/22s are near 300 and made with lots of plastic that isn't so fantastic.
Old January 20, 2021, 03:14 AM   #7
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
Interesting. Were they used or new old stock? Does the AMT(rifle) have any advantages over a Ruger?

They were (lightly) used, especially the pistol.

I believe the main advantage would be the scarcity of the brand.
Old January 20, 2021, 03:15 AM   #8
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
Unless my "Salty" old eye are deceiving me. I'm seeing another Ruger 10/22 clone. Not disrespectful; just saying. One improvement that I see, is the built in rail. Let us know how what kind of performance, Very interesting !!! ...

Be Safe !!!

So much so that Ruger sued AMT out of existence.
Old January 20, 2021, 03:16 AM   #9
Classic12

Amt small game hunter ii

Quote:
An integral rail doubles the price?.......... Ouch. Sorry Classic12. I guess if you are a collector...., I don't see any value there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc View Post
GarandTd an all steel 10/22 receiver by Volquartsen is $450.
https://volquartsen.com/products/887...ement-receiver
Nobody is making a stainless trigger or trigger housing these days. How much stronger is that than aluminum?
No amount of stingers is going to crack that receiver or wear out that gun!

The AMT rifles have gone from $250ish used to 600 plus due to their scarcity as time goes on. I think he did good with a rare hunter model even in the 400s. The current cheap 10/22s are near 300 and made with lots of plastic that isn't so fantastic.

I live in Switzerland, prices are different. Rugers would be the same price here.
Old January 20, 2021, 03:19 AM   #10
Classic12

Quote:
Good find. I think these are more rare than the lightning with the folding stock. If it's not reliable, sand the inside of the receiver rough spots, check the guide rod and the bolt. 10/22 parts will fit. It is a clone with an integral rail instead of a screwed on base.

Thanks for the tip
Old January 20, 2021, 04:51 PM   #11
GarandTd

I wasn't trying to insult. I didn't know the AMT existed so not familiar with it's features other than it looks like a 10/22. I'm cheap, too. My collection would probably make you sick to your stomach. Nothing classy like yours.
Old January 20, 2021, 05:46 PM   #12
Scorch

You have there two excellent reasons not to copy someone else's work. Those were launched by AMT when Ruger's original patents expired. Unfortunately, Ruger had already renewed their patents. AMT launched them, and Ruger slapped them with a lawsuit that ended up shutting AMT down. I liked the stainless reeivers over a cast aluminum receiver on the rifle. Gotta do your homework better, I guess. Good guns, poor management of AMT.
Old January 20, 2021, 09:48 PM   #13
rc

If the gun doesn't shoot very well with the factory AMT barrel it would be well worth putting an aftermarket barrel on it even if you have to replace the stock too. Keep the parts for collector interest. Also, check your disconnector, hammer and sear. I saw one from an AMT that was not cut evenly so those small parts may be good parts to replace if you like the gun and want an improved trigger pull. I like the power custom hammer, disconnect and sear. You can also thin brass washers and use them to shim the trigger but it's not really needed and it's a lot of trouble.
Old January 21, 2021, 03:00 AM   #14
Classic12

Amt small game hunter ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post

Be Safe !!!

Quote:
I wasn't trying to insult. I didn't know the AMT existed so not familiar with it's features other than it looks like a 10/22. I'm cheap, too. My collection would probably make you sick to your stomach. Nothing classy like yours.

No disrespect or insult taken; it’s not like I had shares in AMT. I knew the brand from the Auto Mag days (I have one), and their various guns after that such as the Hardballer and Javelina.

When I first saw the Lightning, I thought they just purchased Rugers and customised them. Then I learned from forum members that they copied both designs (Mark II and 10/22) shamelessly and Ruger sued them, putting them in bankruptcy.

That alone makes them interesting. And the Lightning is a very high quality gun, reliable and accurate so far. I will try out the rifle later today.

Old January 21, 2021, 03:04 AM   #15
Classic12

Quote:
If the gun doesn't shoot very well with the factory AMT barrel it would be well worth putting an aftermarket barrel on it even if you have to replace the stock too. Keep the parts for collector interest. Also, check your disconnector, hammer and sear. I saw one from an AMT that was not cut evenly so those small parts may be good parts to replace if you like the gun and want an improved trigger pull. I like the power custom hammer, disconnect and sear. You can also thin brass washers and use them to shim the trigger but it's not really needed and it's a lot of trouble.

I really hope it performs well as the Lightning does. The heavy 22” barrel seems well made. Changing the barrel would be complicated and costly here in Switzerland, certainly not worth the trouble. I’ll know later today, but I dry fired it a couple of times and the trigger seems very smooth, much better than my 10/22.

Old January 21, 2021, 12:19 PM   #16
rc

Nice 25/22 Lighting! Here any rifle with less than 16 inch barrels and silencers need special federal paperwork and some states are more restrictive. There was some special purpose built 10/22s some time ago called "Pocket Rifles" that were very cool.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...RST&ajaxhist=0
Old January 21, 2021, 05:40 PM   #17
Classic12

Quote:
Nice 25/22 Lighting! Here any rifle with less than 16 inch barrels and silencers need special federal paperwork and some states are more restrictive. There was some special purpose built 10/22s some time ago called "Pocket Rifles" that were very cool.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...RST&ajaxhist=0

Thanks, but that is a Ruger 10/22 shorty with a Parker-Hale silencer.
Old January 22, 2021, 01:52 AM   #18
rc

OOPS, my mistake. That one is set up a lot like a lightning with folding stock. The gunsmith did a nice job on that barrel.
Old January 22, 2021, 07:59 AM   #19
Warhammer

Funny how the worm turns... AMT died due to bad timing. Now that the patents on the 10/22 have expired, everybody and their dog manufactures a 10/22 clone. Many of them arguably do it better than Ruger. I recently bought a T/CR-22, which is a T/C clone of the 10/22 with many of the popular 10/22 upgrades built right in. I paid $315 for my T/CR-22 and I calculated that buying a stock 10/22 and adding all the same upgrades would have cost me $966.

That's a darn nice set of AMTs you have there, OP!

Last edited by Warhammer; January 22, 2021 at 08:10 AM.
Old February 12, 2021, 06:12 AM   #20
Classic12

Finally spent some time shooting it after a good check / clean / oil.

Glad to say it worked flawlessly, trigger is great and it was accurate.

Shot at 50 meters

Old May 1, 2021, 10:44 AM   #21
Classic12

I had some issues with some of the mags I possess, and I suspect it came from the stock. Plus I felt like pimping it a little so I bought an Archangel AAP1022 stock. I like the new look and the ergonomics suit me well, I have the same stock on my Norinco M 305 (M14 clone).

I’ll try it at the range on Tuesday
Old May 1, 2021, 09:10 PM   #22
zukiphile

I remember lusting after the heavy barrelled version.

Quote:
I like the new look and the ergonomics suit me well, I have the same stock on my Norinco M 305 (M14 clone).
That's a great stock.

Just a note: Some have found in Rugers that the very long magazine release is not dimensionally correct and can allow one of the other trigger group parts to slip past it and cause binding. In those cases the binding is easily fixed by replacing the original magazine release.

You don't need the very long Archangel magazine release anyway. The shorter current production Ruger release is long enough for that stock.