The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 3, 2021, 03:29 PM   #1
bamaranger

Leupold Micro-Dot

Leupold has announced a new, ultra compact dot sight, made specifically it seems to fit the dovetail on the Glock family of pistols. I've seen just one simple video. The sight looks interesting. I'm curious if it will hold up to Glock 20/10mm slide velocities.

Can anybody provide any further info on the new Glock Micro-Dot?
Old January 3, 2021, 03:55 PM   #2
TunnelRat

You can read more here:

https://www.recoilweb.com/leupold-de...ts-164637.html

Given it’s not available for purchase yet (afaik) I’m not sure how much information you’ll find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 3, 2021, 04:02 PM   #3
Sanch

Hi bamaranger.

What is the intended use of the handgun that you're considering attaching an optical sight?
Old January 3, 2021, 04:11 PM   #4
eastbank

i have a burris fast fire three that i use and like, it takes the recoil of a 3.5 inch 12 ga mag with out a wimper. it weights about one oz. it has a no bullcrap
lifetime warranty.
Old January 3, 2021, 07:43 PM   #5
DMK

That's an interesting sight system. I like how it is so low and integrates the "irons".

Boy, hand gun optics have made major strides in the last three years.
Old January 3, 2021, 08:07 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Leupold Micro-Dot

My only gripe is it seems like a pretty small window with a relatively thick housing. The rear aperture seems like it would obscure the target. Part of the advantage of red dots is target focused shooting.

Old January 4, 2021, 01:30 PM   #7
ejb69

I have a Leupold red dot on a Glock 40. It seems to be holding up fine. This new one is more than likely very similar . Its just made for the non MOS models.
Old January 4, 2021, 01:32 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
I have a Leupold red dot on a Glock 40. It seems to be holding up fine. This new one is more than likely very similar . Its just made for the non MOS models.

This is actually fairly different from say a Deltapoint. An enclosed emitter as well as a much smaller window and the electronics hang off the end of the slide.

Old January 4, 2021, 07:34 PM   #9
DMK

Quote:
My only gripe is it seems like a pretty small window with a relatively thick housing. The rear aperture seems like it would obscure the target. Part of the advantage of red dots is target focused shooting.
That's a good point. I'd be interested to get my hands on one. It looks like it has a good bit of a tunnel. If so, proper grip and index would be important so you aren't hunting for alignment. Maybe sort of an electronic version of the sight on the Sig P365 SAS or the 9mm ASP from the 70s.

I don't think obscuring the target is an issue if you have both eyes open and a target focus. Bindon Aiming concept would come into play even if the target was partly obscured by the sight.

You'd certainly have to train with it. It's not something you take to the range once, call it good and throw it in the nightstand drawer "just in case".
Old January 4, 2021, 07:57 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Leupold Micro-Dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
That's a good point. I'd be interested to get my hands on one. It looks like it has a good bit of a tunnel. If so, proper grip and index would be important so you aren't hunting for alignment. Maybe sort of an electronic version of the sight on the Sig P365 SAS or the 9mm ASP from the 70s.

I don't think obscuring the target is an issue if you have both eyes open and a target focus. Bindon Aiming concept would come into play even if the target was partly obscured by the sight.

You'd certainly have to train with it. It's not something you take to the range once, call it good and throw it in the nightstand drawer "just in case".

The author of the article I linked mentioned similarities to the P365 SAS.

That’s a fair point about both eyes open shooting. That should compensate for any obscuration. I do wonder how tolerant it is of alignment like you say. Being an enclosed emitter I would think it might be easier to align, but at the same time it is a smaller window. Like all things it would be interesting to try it in person.

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 4, 2021 at 08:02 PM.
Old January 5, 2021, 01:23 PM   #11
bamaranger

intended use

My interest is to hunt whitetails with the G20, as my ability to run iron sights is getting a wee bit worse every year. If I could fit a red dot sight to my existing pistol, with out having to have the slide milled, that would be a more affordable option, and certainly more affordable than a MOS G40 and a new dot.

It would seem that some dovetail mounts cannot hold up to the 10mm slide velocity.
Old January 5, 2021, 01:43 PM   #12
Sanch

Hi bamaranger,

I feel ya. My eyesight's fading faster than the 2nd Amendment.

The 10MM is an excellent cartridge for all deer within its range limitations.

Hence, your choice appears to be wise. My only advice is to shoot as many guns as possible with optics attached to determine which one is best for you.

Post pics of your hunting success.
Old January 7, 2021, 03:53 AM   #13
Sgt127

I’m guessing not compatible with my 1911 with that whole hammer hitting the battery thing.

Still, working our way towards a truly compact red dot. Good thing.
Old January 7, 2021, 03:50 PM   #14
DMK

Quote:
I’m guessing not compatible with my 1911 with that whole hammer hitting the battery thing.

Still, working our way towards a truly compact red dot. Good thing.
Yeah, that's a striker fired only thing.

For a 1911 though, the little Holosun 507k or a Swampfox Sentinel would do nicely.
Old January 9, 2021, 06:26 AM   #15
WESHOOT2

I can't see you....

Adding complexity to an EDC gun is always advisable, particularly when it rains.....
Old January 9, 2021, 07:12 AM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESHOOT2 View Post
Adding complexity to an EDC gun is always advisable, particularly when it rains.....

This has an enclosed emitter, so it doesn’t face the same issues as a typical reflex sight. As for wetness in general, most of these sights are rated to be submerged fully. We’ll have to see what rating IPX rating this gets.

Old January 9, 2021, 10:02 AM   #17
WESHOOT2

since the nineties

I have been electro-sights for many years, and am aware of many of their attributes.
And deficiencies.......

Both of my EDC P320 X5's were purposely bought to at some point add sighting aids, but so far I'd have to admit none make the cut (okay, I'd definitely use goon-gear if forced coughs in RMR).
Old January 9, 2021, 12:20 PM   #18
DaleA

Bamaranger---for 10mm hunting have you considered the Glock 40?

The Glock 40 has the long slide (about a 6 inch barrel) and is already set up to receive reflex sights.

I've got the Glock 20 and have been very pleased with it but shortly after I got mine I got to shoot a long slide Remington R1 1911 style 10mm. I liked the longer sight radius (iron sights) and the long slide seemed to noticiably tame the 10mm more than my Glock 20 (which is not at all bad to shoot recoil-wise).

The guy who owned the R1 and I both had the same thought after shooting each others guns..."just maybe the Glock 40 is the gun I should have bought..."

Like I said in another post, the grass is always greener...
Good luck.
Old January 9, 2021, 12:25 PM   #19
TunnelRat

Leupold Micro-Dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESHOOT2 View Post
I have been electro-sights for many years, and am aware of many of their attributes.
And deficiencies.......

Both of my EDC P320 X5's were purposely bought to at some point add sighting aids, but so far I'd have to admit none make the cut (okay, I'd definitely use goon-gear if forced coughs in RMR).

I’ve had RMRs on two carry pistols for a year now, a Holosun 507c V2 on another pistol, and a Romeo Zero on an XL for a month or so. I’ve put somewhere around 5000 rds through those pistols with the dots equipped and done one day and one two day course with the larger sights. I’ve shot them in hot, cold, rain, and snow. Are there technical limitations? Yes. I personally still think they’re worth it. I’d be curious to see and handle a pistol with the Leupold equipped.

Old January 10, 2021, 09:28 AM   #20
DMK

Good range review of this sight by Jeremy S:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K_zQautu2o

Getting a shooter's eye view of this, it doesn't look bad at all. He compares getting alignment to using a ghost ring.

I like that the emitter is completely enclosed as well (like an Aimpoint Acro). That prevents dust, rain, etc from interfering with the emitter.