The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 24, 2018, 11:37 AM   #1
GorillaGunworks

How to Properly Clean a Firearm

Hey Guys, so i made this video to demonstrate how to field clean a firearm, after going to the range or monthly maintenance. this is the most asked question i had in my shop. how do i clean my firearm and what products and procedure should i use. so i figured id make this video to help some of you out. now this is a basic cleaning, i still recommend you do a detail cleaning once a year where the firearms is completely disassembled to the last spring and cleaned thoroughly, lubricate, and inspected for wear. if you are not comfortable tearing your firearm apart to that extent. take it to your local gunsmith to have it done, the service is not that expensive. I hope you guys enjoy the video, and please hit the subscribe button to keep up to date on all new videos i put out. Thank You guys for all the support.

https://youtu.be/wfXgkbuOF4c
Old August 24, 2018, 07:25 PM   #2
Rangerrich99

Nice.

I do just about the same exact thing for field cleaning. The exception is that instead of using a patch/towel/q-tip, I've gotten lazy recently and just hit the frame with a 5-7 second shot of canned air to blow all the excess solvent/lube debris/brass/copper shavings out of the "nooks and crannies." Then a quick wipe with a microfiber towel/patch spritzed with Hornady OneShot w/ DriLube and done.

I know, cheaper in the long run if I don't use canned air, but canned air is so much faster most of the time.
Old August 27, 2018, 09:05 AM   #3
GorillaGunworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerrich99 View Post
Nice.

I do just about the same exact thing for field cleaning. The exception is that instead of using a patch/towel/q-tip, I've gotten lazy recently and just hit the frame with a 5-7 second shot of canned air to blow all the excess solvent/lube debris/brass/copper shavings out of the "nooks and crannies." Then a quick wipe with a microfiber towel/patch spritzed with Hornady OneShot w/ DriLube and done.

I know, cheaper in the long run if I don't use canned air, but canned air is so much faster most of the time.
hahahaha yea its faster but a little agitation with a nylon brush will get it cleaner.
Old August 29, 2018, 12:40 PM   #4
SGW Gunsmith

Didn't realize there was a "proper way" to clean a firearm. The end result of any cleaning process usually involves whether the owner was successful..........or not.
No doubt a "clean firearm is a happy firearm" and will give you years of good service if it's maintained well enough. Common sense should tell every owner how well they did during the cleaning process, if the gun is CLEAN afterward. Most all the owners I know learned that years ago.
Old August 29, 2018, 12:50 PM   #5
GorillaGunworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
Didn't realize there was a "proper way" to clean a firearm. The end result of any cleaning process usually involves whether the owner was successful..........or not.
No doubt a "clean firearm is a happy firearm" and will give you years of good service if it's maintained well enough. Common sense should tell every owner how well they did during the cleaning process, if the gun is CLEAN afterward. Most all the owners I know learned that years ago.
Should have named the video Tips for cleaning your firearm SGW jajajajaja, dont take it so serious, just trying to help out the gun community and have fun making the videos at the same time.
Old August 31, 2018, 11:29 AM   #6
Don Fischer

Not sure I know how you gt the slide off the frame. I carry that same gun and I cannot slide the slide forward and then unlock it. I have to unlock it with the slide locked back! How did you do that?
Old August 31, 2018, 11:54 AM   #7
GorillaGunworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
Not sure I know how you gt the slide off the frame. I carry that same gun and I cannot slide the slide forward and then unlock it. I have to unlock it with the slide locked back! How did you do that?
you need to bull the slide back slightly to rotate the lever down, then to release the side you will need to pull the trigger. (ALWAYS REMEMBER TO MAKE SURE YOUR FIREARM IS CLEAR WITH NO AMMO INSIDE THE CHAMBER OR INSIDE THE FIREARM) VERY IMPORTANT.