The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 12, 2018, 06:57 PM   #26
Wigwam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
I have shot over fifty deer with the .357mag using several different revolvers and one Contender over the last forty years. I have yet to lose even one deer with that caliber. I have dozens of recovered bullets from deer shot at various ranges and it is very apparent that the .357mag loses steam pretty quick even out of a six inch barrel revolver. I would suggest you use full power loads that have a 158g jacketed hollow point bullet, and keep all your shots under fifty yards.....if you're even capable of keeping them grouped inside six inches at that distance. I use Hornady XTP 158g JHP bullets almost exclusively now days. Trial and error has show them to work the best for me with the revolver. Second choice would be Nosler 158g JHP bullets with the same powder (WW296/H119). You don't really gain much on penetration using a 180g bullet due to decreased MV with the heavier bullet. You gain some on expansion with the lighter 158g bullet and still have adequate penetration. I'd ditch the scope and get a red dot if I were you. A scope adds a whole different level of problems trying to shoot at a possibly moving target and not lose the target due to "blackout" due to not being centered. Put a "tin can" type of red dot on it like the UltraDot....which has a lifetime guarantee and will withstand recoil even from a 45-70 rifle. If you need further info, PM me. Good luck and have fun.
Thanks!! I might just try out the Hornady XTP. Eventually I may go to a red dot. But I want to try this BSA out first. I just ordered one of those laser bullets that go into the chamber so I hope this will get me close on sighting in.