The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 25, 2017, 07:34 PM   #1
thallub

State Summaries Of Hunting Accidents/Incidents

Some states summaries of hunting accidents and incidents are available online. This is the Wisconsin hunting incident summary for 2017:

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/Inciden...ntCurrent.html
Old November 26, 2017, 01:07 PM   #2
buck460XVR

Funny....as rare as pheasants are in the state, how dangerous it is to hunt them, especially compared to deer hunting, which everyone thinks is the most dangerous.
Old November 26, 2017, 01:19 PM   #3
TXAZ

Thanks Thalub.
Interesting the only fatality was from tossing a .22 cal handgun that fired when it hit the car console.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 26, 2017, 01:26 PM   #4
TXAZ

Here's the Texas link. Also pretty informative:
Texas Parks and Wildlife Hunting Fatalities report 2016

It's also interesting that since hunting safety classes were required, the # of accidents and fatalities has dropped to about 20% of what it was about 50 years ago.
And 14 of the 23 fatalities were from shotguns (and 1 from an air gun.)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 26, 2017, 02:48 PM   #5
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
It's also interesting that since hunting safety classes were required, the # of accidents and fatalities has dropped to about 20% of what it was about 50 years ago.
Probably why most states require one to complete a hunter safety class before they can buy a license, eh?
Old November 26, 2017, 06:54 PM   #6
reynolds357

Always good to read these things. Makes us more safety aware.
Old November 26, 2017, 07:01 PM   #7
Mavrik

For Missouri firearm incidents for deer season are included in the final deer season reports (I'm not sure about other seasons).

https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/mdc-repo...ds-185000-plus

Last year (2016) they were three reported

Quote:
MDC reported three firearms-related hunting incidents during the fall firearms November portion. Two of the three incidents involved self-inflicted firearm wounds and occurred in Barry and Camden counties. The third involved one hunter in a party in Grundy County wounding another while shooting at a deer.
Old December 3, 2017, 07:47 PM   #8
sourdough44

Yes, informative. It's usually someone in your own party, or to oneself, loading or unloading.

I did a fair amount of grouse hunting with the 13 y/o Son this Fall. I went over a good bit of the directions one can shoot should a bird flush. Many get caught up with a flush, swing, and forget about any partners or dogs nearby. One these hunts I usually walked close & somewhat behind to give away most opportunities anyway.

I noticed there were plenty of older, likely experienced hunters involved. It just goes to show one should never let their guard down or think it can't happen to them. A good number of the accidents stemmed from outright carelessness.
Old December 3, 2017, 07:56 PM   #9
VoodooMountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
Thanks Thalub.
Interesting the only fatality was from tossing a .22 cal handgun that fired when it hit the car console.
That one kind of makes me wonder
Old December 3, 2017, 07:58 PM   #10
Pahoo

In Iowa;

Every late winter of the new year, we have state-wide Hunter instructors Workshops. We all receive this report and it's really well done and very detailed. The DNR conducts a CSI type investigations. This year it looks like we are going to have one that started out initially as a hunting accident and switched over to a homicide. If it turns out to be so, It is not counted as a hunting accident. I'm sure that all stated have a similar process and documentation. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 3, 2017, 08:53 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Always good to read these things. Makes us more safety aware.
I have a Google Alert set up on "hunting accident" and receive news of incidents pretty much every day during deer season and sporadically throughout the year. It doesn't cover all the incidents, pretty much only those making the news, but it is a lot and does a lot to "make us more safety aware" as you say.