The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 20, 2020, 08:04 PM   #1
GatlinJohn

20mm Gatling Gun Barrel assembly restoration

I have a complete Vulcan 20mm 6 barrel assembly and I'm in the process of restoring it. I have just picked it up from the blasters who did an excellent job of cleaning them. Now I'm not sure how to proceed. What should I do to prep the barrels for the correct paint and or primer? Any help here would be appreciated. Not sure why my pics won't load but if you'd like to see them please PM me.
Old January 20, 2020, 11:13 PM   #2
50 shooter

You should have the barrels parkerized, that way they'll look like the military's. Same with any other components that will be exposed to the elements.

Is this going to be a static display or...? The M61 gatling gun is pretty big, then there's the whole legal side of restoring a fully automatic firearm.
No time for rearranging.
Old January 20, 2020, 11:38 PM   #3
kenny53

I have a 20mm barrel mounted on a plaque from when I retired. Mine is Nickle plated and looks very good. For prep I would do a light sand blast.
Old January 21, 2020, 12:15 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
, then there's the whole legal side of restoring a fully automatic firearm.
The legal side is simple. If the gun was not in the civilian registry as of May 18, 1986 there is no legal way to restore it to a functional firearm. Period.

To restore it as a nonfunctional (non firing) display is fine, legal and its technically not a gun. (you may want some kind of official DEWAT paper though just to prevent foolish misunderstandings)

You could even "restore" it to a gas gun, "firing" propane to simulate muzzle flash. Also legal, as far as I know.
Old January 21, 2020, 03:51 PM   #5
TXAZ

Pictures from the restoration (forwarded from OP who doesn't have a picture posting account)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 21, 2020, 05:00 PM   #6
GatlinJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 shooter View Post
You should have the barrels parkerized, that way they'll look like the military's. Same with any other components that will be exposed to the elements.

Is this going to be a static display or...? The M61 gatling gun is pretty big, then there's the whole legal side of restoring a fully automatic firearm.
That sounds like a great idea. I need to get them done ASAP! Not sure what I want to do with them yet. They are a great conversation piece....LOL!!!
Old January 21, 2020, 05:44 PM   #7
50 shooter

Hell, just the barrels set up like they were installed in the gun would be a cool display. And yeah, you need to get them covered quickly or they will start to rust.
No time for rearranging.
Old January 23, 2020, 02:06 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

I know they are big barrels but smaller format pictures would be better on the forum.

and, no, I don't know how to do that. Neo-luddite, class of 75,