The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 30, 2019, 10:42 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Nebraska mule deer hunt

I have a relative that owns some farm land in Nebraska in the Mule Deer Conservation Area. The mule deer are chomping his corn crop all summer and fall, plus they like to eat his trees and tear them up. So he invited me to do a hunt this year, and so beings I love to hunt, it was a no brainer for me. I drew a tag for any buck in his area, and he got a land owner tag so we were hoping to harvest a couple of nice ones. Opening morning we were situated near the top of a hill, and a bunch of mulies ran a hundred fifty yards or so from us and stopped. There were several does, and small two by two, and a nice big bodied four by four. My shot spined the big buck, and he went down with feet in the air. He was the fattest wild game animal I have ever seen, and was a lot of work to dress out and skin. The next morning my relative got a nice little two by two about 300 yards from where I got the bigger buck. Fun time. This guy is my nephew and we have been best buds ever since he was born.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nebraska Buck.jpg (171.7 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by Colorado Redneck; December 1, 2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old December 2, 2019, 06:10 PM   #2
NHSHOOTER

What a great opportunity for a hunt with someone your close too and a real nice buck you shot..Congrats
Old December 2, 2019, 08:42 PM   #3
CD1

That's awesome!
Old December 4, 2019, 07:07 PM   #4
huntinaz

Good job!
Old December 4, 2019, 07:24 PM   #5
lefteye

Nice buck. Its been many years since I hunted Mule Deer and most of that hunting was in Wyoming. Only one earned a place on my wall.
Old December 5, 2019, 09:19 PM   #6
Colorado Redneck

Thanks!

My nephew has a full head mount whitetail buck on his livingroom wall, so we are splitting the cost of an identical mount for this 4x4 mulie. I always do something to give back to landowners that let me hunt, and it makes the hunt even more special for him. He has had various friends come stay with him and hunt, and none of them ever even offered to buy him and his wife supper or do anything to return the gratitude. Needless to say, none of them get to hunt there anymore.
Old December 6, 2019, 08:14 AM   #7
taylorce1

That buck will eat very well, I've eaten some grain fed deer before and they are awesome. That is a nice buck!
Old December 7, 2019, 12:49 AM   #8
Colorado Redneck

How has your season gone Taylorce? Are you through for the year or are you out for more?
Old December 7, 2019, 02:23 PM   #9
taylorce1

Daughter had a great season again, 1 muzzle loader spike elk, 1 pronghorn buck, and OK rifle season she got 1 buck, and 2 doe whitetail. She got skunked for muzzle loader plains buck, but was only able to hunt one day of the season. 0 on everything for me, but I didn't try very hard. She graduates HS next year so I've focused on her hunting first, plus I have a job that doesn't have a schedule that meshes with hers very well.

Last edited by taylorce1; December 7, 2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old January 2, 2020, 02:54 PM   #10
The Big Game Hunter

Nice work!