The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 12, 2001, 02:22 AM   #1
NikonShooter

Helped Nab an Armed Robber

Sorry this Thread is so long....

I work for a high end electronics store here in San Diego Ca. We had a customer who came in and tried to use a govt credit card, and used a D.O.J. ID, (claimed he was D.E.A.) without a photo on it. The card got denied, and we asked to see an ID. The customer showed an ID, but wouldnt take his finger off the picture.

When the customer left, i followed him and got his license plates (just in case). We called the credit card company and they said the card was definitly stolen.

After thinking a bit, we figured the police might find this intresting, (posing as a D.E.A. agent, Carrying a concealed and loaded weapon ((figured he would have one on him, seeing as he claimed to be DEA, plus we saw a bulge)), stolen card ect ect).

The police came, and we called the guy on his cell phone # that he had given us. Told him that we had cleared his card and that he could come right in and get the stuff.

The police waited till after closing but he didn't show up. Soon as they left, he called, said he would be in in 20 min. Police showed back up, and waited in the back of the store.

The "alleged" perp, went to front counter, and started a conversation with our manager, which included a statement about not being able to see his weopons through his jacket, (one of those blue jackets with lettering that the feds use, i think this one said ------- agent.)

Police came in, and yelled at him to put hands up, ect. Took several warnings before he did so, but finally he gave up.

The police searched him, found the stolen credit card, (actually, his dead dads), DOJ id, gun range cards, and such.

Turns out he is on probation.

Oh, did i forget to mention the two glocks, one .45 cal, loaded, 2 extra mags, hollowpoints in all three, including black talons in one. One of the glocks turned out to be a fake (although it wasn't one of GLocks red or blue training guns). Also had a very large knife (anything larger than my Emerson/Benchmade CQC7 is large), two tac lights, cuffs and other fun toys.

Cops figure he was going to rob our store as it was after hours.

Not a bad ending considering no of us can carry. And fortunatly we didn't have to clean up a bloody corpse off the new carpets.
Old December 12, 2001, 03:21 AM   #2
Seeker

Congradulations!

and

Good Work!

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old December 12, 2001, 09:20 AM   #3
C.R.Sam

Very nicely done.

Sam
Old December 12, 2001, 10:17 AM   #4
LBC

Excellent intelligence and tactics. BTW, what was the pucker factor when the perp was talking to your staff and the PD were hidden several dozen feet away?
Old December 12, 2001, 11:14 AM   #5
Coronach

From a LEO point of view, this was an odd way to do the takedown. As a cop on the scene, my main concern would be that once perp came into store and gotten up to the counter a challenge from the police could result in badguy pulling gun and taking an employee hostage.

I think I'd have wanted to hit him sooner, either as soon as he walked through the doors or, preferably, as he exited his vehicle.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old December 12, 2001, 02:27 PM   #6
krept

Maybe they wanted to verify or get additional charges on him?

Good job, by the way...
Old December 12, 2001, 09:31 PM   #7
Coronach

Dunno. This is armchair QBing all the way, of course. It could be that the cops at scene were confused about when they were going to approach him, everyone thought that someone else was going to lead, stuff like that. Verifying is always good, of course, but IMO it is better to snatch the wrong guy and maybe have to dust him off afterwards than to expose an innocent to an armed and desperate guy.

I dunno, I wasn't there. Just struck me as odd.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old December 12, 2001, 10:07 PM   #8
IamNOTaNUT

An unusual scenario, but a good example of how significant a sharp citizen is in detecting and preventing crime. Way to go, man!

I didn't do it, but I thought about it. Next time I might.

NRA
Old December 12, 2001, 10:16 PM   #9
NikonShooter

Unfortunatly, the plan got a little screwed up along the way, so it wasn't as smooth as we would have liked. Originally, the so called "agent" was going to come in at about 10pm, but he didn't show up, so the cops left. When he called, we barely had enough time to get the cops back to the store. The officers also wanted to make sure it was the right guy before they pulled a gun on him (of course, the blue jacket saying "agent" made ID very easy).

The pucker factor wasnt too bad, at least for me, since i wasn't standing next to him when they took him down. One of our managers though was talking to him when they took him down. She was the one who convinced him to come back to the store in the end. The only time we were worried was when we werent sure if the cops would make it in time.

Watching the security video was entertaining this morning though.
Old December 12, 2001, 10:36 PM   #10
IamNOTaNUT

That's the problem with low-grades, they all run on "doper time." Doper time means they never make their meet when they say they will, they make it about 20 minutes after the cops decide the bust isn't going to happen. Then everyone has to scramble to put it back together at the last second. It can be very entertaining. Just once I wish one of these SOB's would learn how to tell time with a standard watch!

I didn't do it, but I thought about it. Next time I might.

NRA
Old December 13, 2001, 09:50 AM   #11
CMichael

Excellent Work Nikon

Michael
Old December 13, 2001, 10:17 AM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Sometimes the best thing you can do, sometimes the safest, and sometimes the only thing you can do is to be a good witness. Very well done!
Old December 15, 2001, 02:18 AM   #13
SamH

Well done!
Old December 19, 2001, 02:38 PM   #14
Kirk Keller

Nikon

Nicely done! If more people took the initiative like you and your comrades, the world would be a better place.
Old December 19, 2001, 03:43 PM   #15
Zundfolge

Quote:
Just once I wish one of these SOB's would learn how to tell time with a standard watch!
Yeah, but then he would be able to hold down a real job ... maybe it's their inability (or unwillingness) to get off "doper time" that keeps them on the low-life side.
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt."
Ayn Rand
Old December 22, 2001, 12:55 AM   #16
nbk2000

Question:

Where did the "armed robber" come from?

Is this something that the cops are assuming? Or was the man on probation for priors?

Sounds (to me) like the guy was a "wannabe" cop carrying the cop "toys", trying to get free stuff with his dead dads credit card.

While certainly not kosher, it doesn't automatically lead to being an armed robber. Just being foolish.

Anyways, kudos for being alert.
Old December 24, 2001, 02:42 PM   #17
7th Fleet

Very nice piece of work, maybe the courts will see to it that he stays off of probabtion for a lot longer this time.

7th