The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 24, 2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Oldjarhead

Gun reviews on Youtube

I have been thinking of buying a camcorder, so I can make gun review videos on Youtube. I have not bought a camcorder since the VHS days. Can anyone recommend one that records in HD, without costing a fortune. Thanks.
Old November 24, 2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Spammy_H

Flip HD:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...a-001b2166c2c0
Old November 24, 2010, 02:32 PM   #3
thesheepdog

Portable HD models are pretty cheap and some are even waterproof.
Old November 24, 2010, 02:39 PM   #4
mrgoodwrench76

Gonna give nutnfancy some competition eh? Sony handycams are HD and have been very reliable for me. I would suggest getting one with a built in hard drive. Much easier to use than the others.
Old November 24, 2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Drummer101

How much do you want to spend?

But if there is one with an option of getting a little baffle for the wind (if outdoors) that is very nice to have.

Anything with 720p video will do.

Make sure to get a tripod (a cheap one will do)
The smaller it is the harder to hold steady.

720p=HD
900p=HD+
1080p=Full HD
Old November 24, 2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Cindyann

Haven't had any problems out of my Sony camcorder (after returning it twice that is) but I have had a lot of trouble with other sony products lately so I don't know that I would recommend them. You ought to be able to get a good deal Friday or Monday (online) with all the holiday sales.
Old November 26, 2010, 10:56 AM   #7
booker_t

A $60 Canon point & shoot will take 1080P video that's fine for the web, so long as you sufficiently light the subject, or use natural light, and properly set the white balance. With a bit of creativity and photography/cinemagraphic know-how, you can produce some rather stunning video with such an inexpensive camera, and see if it's what you really want to do.

If you're looking to do videos where you are demonstrating things at a distance, outdoors or at the range, make sure the camera has an external mic input, so you can use a wireless lavalier (there are cheapies from Audiotechnica that are decent, but a $150-250 set from Sennheiser is my recommendation). Otherwise the wind and ambient noise will be overwhelming. You'll likely find that quality audio is harder to get than quality video, and for web, sets apart the amateurs from the "pros."

Sony and Canon are probably your best best for 1080P HD video cameras under $1000. Get a cheap tripod to go with it (Manfrotto/Bogen makes some very nice metal & composite models with removeable baseplates for under $125, although you could get a generic plastic one for under $25, also check out Vanguard), and some fast memory. Check them out at Fry's or Best Buy or hhgegg, and then check out b&hphotovideo online, you'll probably get the best price there, and free shipping on nearly everything.

I wouldn't get one with a hard drive built in, get one that takes high-density SD cards for fastest write/read times. Pick up a 16GB or 32GB card, any brand will do but Sandisk and Lexar are generally the best, 300x or faster if you can afford it.

The other approach is using a DSLR (inexpensive ones like the Rebel T1i) that also shoots video. This allows you to switch lenses for various scenes, and the video quality is outstanding. Again, external audio input is important, unless everything you do is on the bench. Even then, a $20 plastic Shure stick mic will do you better than using the built in microphone.

You might also think about software, unless you plan to get everything in one take. Final Cut Pro is the benchmark, but there are more affordable options available.

And if you haven't already, do some research to see what is already out there. Nutnfancy is one; millerusaftactical, hickok45, humans4targets, weaponcollector, cutlerylover, lord the list goes on and on, there's probably 50 or more popular ones and another 100 or 200 not-so-popular ones. Not to be condescening, but how are you going to make yourself any different than them? Nearly every gun ever produced has been reviewed, stripped, smithed, cleaned, shot, dirt/water tested, compared, and otherwise demonstrated by somebody, usually more than once. Some of the bigger names are in on the game now... James Yeager, Rob Pincus, and do I even have to mention Larry Vickers.. that's tough competition.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by booker_t; November 26, 2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old November 26, 2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Ballenxj

Don't rule out digital SLR's either. As the models get a bit older they can be had more reasonably on the used market. You can also take photos of the family on holidays.
Here's an example of a video shot with a Canon 7D.
-Bruce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFqQj0puris