The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 10, 1999, 04:35 PM   #1
AKrob

I'm looking for a good range bag that will accomodate 2-3 pistols, mags, ammo, eyes and ears, etc. I've seen a few at the local shops - none seem to quite fit the bill. I've seen even more online, but with inadequate descriptions and/or pictures.

Anyone have any particular favorites? I'd like to know why - what features make it appealing, etc.

Thanks in advance.

AKrob
Old November 10, 1999, 04:47 PM   #2
JoeHatley

AKrob,
I've been using a couple of Bagmaster range bags for a few years now. They have held up well, and were not very expensive.
www.bagmaster.com

I really like the mini-range bag. Just large enough for two pistols, mags, and ammo. Not so large it weighs too much to carry.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old November 10, 1999, 07:55 PM   #3
Arnistador

Be sure to check out the Shooting Systems bag before you purchase. It is made of ballistic nylon and has some of the best reinforced corners and stitching I have seen when it comes to weapons cases.

Check them out at http://www.shootingsystems.com

Tim
http://www.streetpro.com
Street Smart Professional Equipment
Old November 10, 1999, 09:37 PM   #4
Mikey

I know you said "bag" - and I don't know your range visit frequency or distance - but several of us in our local IDPA club have gone to a little different solution and find it works for us.

We have collectively acquired several different makes of the plastic toolboxes that are made to be stackable and usable as a step or seat. They are QUITE sturdy, although a little large, but no more cumbersome to carry than a large range bag made for two or more pistols.

Mine will hold 2 pistols in gun rugs, 400 rounds in plastic ammo boxes (100 rnd boxes), 1 or 2 plastic mag boxes with 6 to 8 mags each, holster and ears (sometimes if I can get away with one mag box) - all in the bottom. In the upper tray I keep 3 pairs of eyes (dark, yellow and clear), ear plugs, bottle of ibuprofin, ink pen, calculator and a few emercency tools. I think that's all.

Best of all it's sturdy and has excellent hardware - lockable for airline acceptance when travelling to far away matches - and serves as a seat while waiting your turn to shoot. All for less than $30! Got mine at K-Mart.

Mikey
Old November 12, 1999, 02:14 AM   #5
mib61

Ah, I shopped around on this same topic.. A quality bag sure makes life more pleasant at the range, especially during matches.

Settled on the "Todd Jarrett Signature Range Bag" by Green Mountain. Don't believe they have a website. I bought it mail order; they usually advertise in the major gun magazines. Been using it hard for the past year.

Extremely well made. Ballistic nylon; super-tough stitching and attention to construction detail throughout. I especially like the water bottle bag on one end; on the opposite end is a zippered pouch for little loose stuff, plus quick access to stapler, keys and wallet. Long zippered pouch along the front of the bag; has elastic loops for mags and tac light there as well as on the underside of the zippered lid. Also, has rigid dividers in the main compartment which you can reposition to your liking with Velcro. Has a rigid panel sewn into the bottom to prevent sagging when packing ammo. These are the details that make the difference between a quality bag that will last years of hard use being dragged to the range, and one that will fall apart pretty quick.

Lots of room: Holds two full-sized handguns in the front and back gun pockets; these are sealed with Velcro flaps. And you could put a smaller handgun on either end. (I've carried my G19 and 19ll in the former pouches and a S&W .22 revolver and a G26 in those two end spots.) In addition to, in the main divided compartment of the bag: ear muffs; cased shooting glasses; holster, belt, mag pouch, timer, Leatherman, mini cleaning kit, spare parts baggie for range emergencies, mini first-aid kit.

That's the lot of it. And it all fits well in this top-of-the-line bag, and well-organized, too. Saves time searching for items, such as in between stages at a match.

Cost about $125. Well worth it. This is made like a piece of high-quality soft luggage. Green Mountain makes a smaller version with similar features for slightly cheaper. My advice would be to buy a slightly bigger bag than you think you need now. You'll appreciate the "growing room" later when you keep adding more crap for the range...

By the way, I've got my eye on the Dillon "Range Pack." Thinking about it for my long gun gear. Handy to have it on the back trudging to the next stage during those three-gun matches, when I've already got my hands full with a cased rifle and a cased shotgun. Even comes with a water bottle and folding stool.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/

Bagmaster also makes nice stuff, and has a pretty broad product range with lots of sizes of range bags. I've examined their wares at the gunshop and it's well made. Good value. Have one of their spring clip pistol pouches for carrying while backpacking and like it a lot.
www.bagmaster.com

Hope this helps,

------------------
mib61

Old November 12, 1999, 09:40 AM   #6
DDS

I prefer the WALLER range bags. They are pricey but are of very high quality. I use my large bag for other purposes than for shooting.

I think they have a website.

For a very inexpensive option I use a canvas "GATEMOUTH" tool bag to carry my ammo and accessories separately. I purchased mine at HOMEDEPOT for about $20.

Good Luck!

Dave
Old November 15, 1999, 06:59 AM   #7
Joe D

I found a bag at Target the other day that works great. I can get several pistols,mags,
ammo,earmuffs and holsters in. It was only $25 dollars. The bag is heavy nylon with a hard plastic bottom. I found it in the hand tool area. I did have to remove the Rubbermaid tags though - did not want the guys to think I had been out scrubbing floors!
Old November 15, 1999, 06:40 PM   #8
macondas

I once saw a bag that was Military surplus, it had a few (4?) snapped pockets along one side and the center of the bag was one large zipped pocket.
The guy that had it has moved away and I was thinking that something like that would be an excellent choice for a shooters bag (that was what he used it for). He called it an assault bag, but I got the impression that it had another real name. Anyone know of what I mutter?

[This message has been edited by macondas (edited November 15, 1999).]