The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 25, 2001, 09:49 AM   #1
esims

Remington Model 12

I recently acquired my deceased grandfather's gun collection. Among them is a Remington Model 12.

I went to shoot it last Saturday and everything wnet well until I pulled the trigger. Nothing happened except the hammer fell. No bang!.

I took it apart and there seems to be a piece or assembly missing. It has a block which contains a firing pin and extractor. It has a hammer. After looking at it closely, I can't see that the hammer has any chance whatsoever of hitting the firing pin.

I've found an online source for parts, but I don't know what parts, if any, I need. Does anyone have any ideas about this rifle. An exploded view of the rifle would be a big help.

Thanks
Old October 25, 2001, 04:32 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have not worked on one of those for years, but my recollection plus the illustrated parts (not a real "blowup") in Gun Parts Corp. catalog indicate that there is a bolt and a hammer, driven by a coil spring and a guide. Both parts are masterpieces of the gun maker's art and complicated, but the principle is pretty conventional. I don't know what other part there is or why the hammer would not reach the firing pin. I do know the firing pins on those guns were fairly fragile and breakage was common.

I can't tell you long distance what might be wrong, but I suggest taking the rifle to a gunsmith for a checkover.

Jim
Old October 26, 2001, 09:21 AM   #3
LIProgun

Contact Remington. For the Model 12 they can provide you with the original instruction sheet (including exploded parts diagram) and some really nifty other original product literature. I just got my own copy from Remington a couple of weeks ago for the Model 12 series.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old October 26, 2001, 09:33 AM   #4
esims

Thanks

Thanks to both for your replies. It turns out the firing pin is broken and there is also a severly damaged spring. I ordered the parts from Numrich this morning.

I'll contact Remington about the literature.

Thanks again