The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 30, 2013, 08:27 PM   #1
kdemers58

Weatherby Orion

I have been having some problems with my 20 ga Weatherby O/U the origan forearm was 16 years old and it split down the middle so i went on line last week and found only one on gunbroker.com i had to fit the steel connecter being all that came was a wood forearm i fit everything fine put the gun back into the gun rack and waited till mid week before going to the range when i got to the range i pulled out the gun to find the new forearm now had a hair line crack . ugg!! now what any help ? Please !
Old May 30, 2013, 09:11 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

IF you shoot guns like that with loose screws in the forearms, they will split. If it split before shooting it, it sounds like it needed to be fitted better - it might have been a touch too long, resulting in the wood being under pressure.

I would find a good gunsmith who knows stocks (not some Glock parts changer). I had a stock crack through the wrist - my gunsmith used some pins and some industrial uber glue to make that area stronger than the surrounding area (think like a metal weld)
Old May 31, 2013, 11:44 AM   #3
BigJimP

Cracks in wood ...come from the wood relieving stress...( drying causing expansion and contraction, pressure expansion and contracting, could be heat expansion, etc../ depends on where you had this rack .....like in a pickup - where inside the vehicle the temp swings 50 degrees or more between day and night is a really bad idea - especially if its humid or real dry ....!!)....but you need to have someone evaluate what is causing this / and determine if its worth figuring out...

Fixing the crack is one thing ....maybe all it needs is a high quality wood glue (not elmers), maybe it needs some type of a mechanical fastener to make it tight ...??? / ...but the real craftsmanship comes in hiding the repair ( ideally by creating dust from the piece itself when its refinished...and then taking that dust and mixing it with just the right amout of glue - to create a custom wood filler, so it will accept the stain the same as the surrounding wood ). Now if you're really lucky - when its taken apart ....the crack will "dry fit" together...and disappear ( but that's like hitting the mega lotto if it happens that way )...

With even the best woodworkers, stock fitters, cabinet makers ....making an invisible repair depends on how visible the crack is now, where it occurs in the wood piece, etc....and even then, its probably a 50-50 proposition.

All of which costs money ....and it may not be worth doing ...vs just fixing it to make it stronger ( and a good high quality wood glue will do that - like TiteBond ) - if you can figure out what is causing the stress.

But we can't diagnose it over the internet either...find a good woodworker or stock maker to evaluate it.../ somebody who can put it under good light and look at it closely in person / and can discuss what happened while it was in this rack ...( temp range, humidity, etc).