The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 6, 2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Cain

Heads-up red dot sight for a 10/22?

I'm looking for a heads-up red dot sight for my 10/22. I would want something that lasts, and works well, but is $50 or under(preferably the later). I've seen dozens of sights, but could y'all give me some suggestions of the good ones? Note that this doesn't have to be an amazing sight, just something for some fun, safe fun.

Thanks!
Old March 14, 2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Cain

No help?
Old March 14, 2010, 02:16 PM   #3
LukeA

There aren't really any outstanding ones under $50 is why you haven't gotten any responses. 10/22s aren't really hard on optics so if you want to buy a $50 one you can get just about any one.
Old March 16, 2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Cain

Oh, okay, thanks.
Old March 16, 2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Pahoo

There are more than one that will give you good performance and still stay within your budget. I might suggest Tasco Pro-Point or Simmons. Try to stay away from those that have an integrated clamps, like Tasco's RedDot.

Be Safe !!!
Old March 16, 2010, 04:21 PM   #6
mykeal

I just put a Simmons $40 crossbow RedDot on my Winchester 140. Had to spend $13 for an adapter to go from the Winchester grooved receiver to the Simmons 7/8" Weaver mount. Works ok.

A friend put a BSA on a 10-22 last summer and it gave intermittent service. He switched to the Simmons and has good luck SO FAR. We have a special rimfire bowling pin league (pins set on target frame rails rather than a table) and he's got the record of 5 pins in 1.98 sec with that rig. I'm gonna beat him this year.
Old March 16, 2010, 04:32 PM   #7
Dustin0

I have one of those NCstars on mine. But I dont know how long it will hold up.
Old April 3, 2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Cain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahoo
There are more than one that will give you good performance and still stay within your budget. I might suggest Tasco Pro-Point or Simmons. Try to stay away from those that have an integrated clamps, like Tasco's RedDot.
Why? Even EOTech sights have clamps.
Old April 3, 2010, 05:06 PM   #9
Pahoo

Quote:
Why? Even EOTech sights have clamps.
Some RedDots have machine screws on the clamps, that may not fit into a slot in the base. The problem is not in the RedDot but the dedicated location of slots, in your base. One one occasion I had to cut an extra slot into the base. Just make sure it will fit your base, that's all. By the way, last week there was a customer that did not like the excess amount of base showing because of his short Panaramic. I told him that as long as he still had a good anchor on the base, just cut it off and dress it up. He did just that and thanked me.

Be Safe !!!
Old April 3, 2010, 06:46 PM   #10
armoredman

Ok, here is one answer - I bought the Daisy Electronic Sight, a very cheap red dot, ($12 at WalMart), made for air guns and 22 rifles. I mounted it with the Ruger rail that came with the carbine. It works. Seriously, it works just fine. It's on the 10/22 my wife is trying to sell right now.
It's cheesy, plastic "glass", but it still works just fine, over 3 years now, IIRC.
Old April 4, 2010, 03:32 PM   #11
Cain

^I don't really care how it looks, or what others think, as long as it works thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahoo
Some RedDots have machine screws on the clamps, that may not fit into a slot in the base. The problem is not in the RedDot but the dedicated location of slots, in your base. One one occasion I had to cut an extra slot into the base. Just make sure it will fit your base, that's all. By the way, last week there was a customer that did not like the excess amount of base showing because of his short Panaramic. I told him that as long as he still had a good anchor on the base, just cut it off and dress it up. He did just that and thanked me.
Alright, I'll keep that in mind, thanks.
Old April 29, 2010, 09:22 AM   #12
RimfireChris

Seriously, it's held up that long? I might get one, for my "just for fun gun".