The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 8, 2005, 07:44 PM   #1
Psalm 144:1

Opinions please!

The handgun/tactical folder combo has become almost ubiquitous among the CCW community. My questions are simple:1.) Since I (assume I) know more about shooting handguns than I do about knife fighting and since any knife is by nature a contact weapon, wouldn`t I be better served by a small BUG instead of a folding knife? A small handgun like,say a derringer or mousegun can be deployed just as quickly and can extend the engagement envelope from contact range out to at least a few feet. I know blades have other uses, but I`ve always been scrupulous not to use my "tactical" folder for anything but a dedicated defense knife(ie: I don`t cut ANYTHING with it). Instead, I use a smaller cheapo pocketknife for everyday chores. And 2.) Just what do you think the average LEO thinks about the carrying of multiple firearms? I of course mean in the purely legal sense. Around here, if you happen to get "made" by LE, they`re gonna ask to see licensing and the weapon(s) as well. Seems to me they could get kinda leery. What says the general consensus?
Old August 8, 2005, 07:46 PM   #2
powderedonuts

Hey, If I could carry a 3 foot sword instead of a gun, I would do it. It would be much more intimidating and I like the idea of cutting up bad guys instead of putting holes in them.

But hey, law is law.

And what does this have to do with your topic???
Not much.

my appologies.
Old August 8, 2005, 08:03 PM   #3
S.E.R.T.SGT

Psalm144:1
1.) I say, do it all. (Legally that is) Nothing wrong with having your primary, bug, and a knife.
2.) As a LEO, as per your original post, if the individual is toting these firearms in a legal manner, than I see no problems with it. Having said that, should you get "made" the LEO should check to make sure you are carrying that firearm in a legal manner. He/she cannot by ESP know that you are carrying the firearm legally unless he asks to see your permit, etc. Not sure if this is as much a case of being "leary" but more of doing his/her job. Once that is established (they are legal) send them on their merry way, or you can sit around and chew the fat a while about their favorite handguns... No need to hassle someone if they are law abiding citizens.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lighting they
Do not go gently into that good night.

Dylan Thomas

S.E.R.T.SGT
Old August 8, 2005, 08:27 PM   #4
ATW525

A knife is more than a weapon... it's utility tool that can be handy in many more situations than just self defense. If you you need to cut a seatbelt strap after a car accident, a BUG isn't going to do you much good.
Old August 8, 2005, 10:02 PM   #5
Dwight55

I guess I would never have made a good Viking or Roman soldier, . . . just can not do that knife/sword/stickem and make em bleed thing. Gotta get too close for my comfort.

Besides that, . . . being 60, . . . a bit arthritic, . . . ticker not perfect, . . . and a wheeze or two in the old air bags, . . . my 1911 will have to suffice if I get into a knife fight. Just hope the other guy doesn't mind that my FMJ rounds are pretty dull and rounded.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old August 8, 2005, 11:14 PM   #6
Limeyfellow

As long as the knife is 4 inches or shorter blade and can fold into the handle its easy enough to carry both. Knives in alot of states aren't covered as ccw so if you carry anything larger, a fixed blade and so on you are breaking the law so you need to check the state laws on them. Its also much harder to explain the use of a knife in self defense. They do have alot of handy uses though which is why I carry knives. They are useful.
Old August 9, 2005, 12:05 AM   #7
Wraith

Heh heh heh... whem you say "tatical folder" I think KREBS.

I like the idea of a bug. To cover all the bases, it would be:

Full size auto
Snubbie
Folder

As has been said before, out of the three, the auto is the most prone to failure. It makes sense to carry a back up for your primary.

To be honest, a good .38 IMHO is much better than a knife in SD... Although a knife is much more practical in everyday use. It boils down to how much you are willing to carry, and how much is "enough". My SO's father, to my knowledge, carries a usual of THREE guns on his person almost all of the time. I think he also keeps one in the car.

Of course he also served in Vietnam and sleeps with an auto under the pillow.

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old August 9, 2005, 02:44 AM   #8
LAK

Whether you elect to carry a BUG or not, I would carry a knife providing it is within your State and local law.

Preferably a short fixed blade, but an easy to open one-handed folder is OK too. Fixed blades are stronger and faster (at least not as likely to fumble) and can be accessed and employed by either hand.

A knife might also be very useful - even a lifesaver - in any non-confrontation circumstance a cutting tool is needed.