The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 20, 2019, 02:03 PM   #26
T. O'Heir

It'd be an over priced, inaccurate, big kid's toy in a different chambering. The .350 Legend looks like a .35 calibre .30 Carbine. Legend's case length is a bit shorter. Yet another answer to an unasked question.
And 1280 pixels is too big.
Old February 21, 2019, 01:01 AM   #27
Backwoods Bastard

I've been pondering an AR build for a lightweight hunting rig.

Lately I've been eyeing the 300 HAM'R or maybe the 6.5 Grendel. This 350 Legend looks promising, I like my Ruger M77/357, but a semi auto would is nice for a quick follow up shot.

Guess I'll just have to wait to see who will be making barrels for it.
Old February 21, 2019, 01:15 AM   #28
FrankenMauser

Meh.
9mm bore.
.357 throat.
Handgun bullets at rifle velocities.

We've been down these roads.
They're dead ends.
Old February 21, 2019, 11:03 AM   #29
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Meh.
Handgun bullets at rifle velocities. We've been down these roads. They're dead ends.
Guess you never heard of the 35 Remington before then have you? Hornady makes 200grn LEVERevolution rifle bullets and ammo for it so no, the 350 Legend wouldn't use only pistol bullets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.35_Remington

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
Old February 21, 2019, 11:47 AM   #30
FrankenMauser

Oh... I am well aware of what .35 Remington is, and what components it uses. As a matter of fact, I have to avoid bullets designed for .35 Rem when loading for my .35 Whelen, because some of them are too fragile at Whelen velocities.

I suggest you dig a little deeper for details about the .350 Legend. It does NOT use .358" groove diameter barrels, and .358" diameter rifle bullets are NOT recommended for use in the cartridge.

Bore diameter: .346"
Groove diameter: .355"
Throat diameter: Tapered, .357" to .355"

It was specifically designed to preclude the use of .358" rifle bullets, because the longer ogives would require shortening the case to be able to crimp, in addition to reducing case capacity due to AR magazine COAL restrictions (which would ruin all of their marketing points based on velocity and energy).
Old February 22, 2019, 09:33 AM   #31
BBarn

For those in straight wall cartridge deer hunting states, the 350 Legend represents a good option. It adds range over the 357 and 44 Mags with less recoil than the 45-70. But survival of the round will require more factory rifles than a Winchester bolt action. If others like Savage, Ruger, and CZ offer rifles so chambered, the survival chances improve. Likewise if MSR rifles or uppers in 350 Legend become popular.

Some new component bullets may also be needed for success. Many, if not all, .357" diameter bullets won't perform well on deer at Legend velocities. If .358" bullets prove suitable for the Legend, that too will help the viability of the cartridge.

The 357 Max. would have done the job as well, but it seems nobody chambers factory repeating rifles for it. It was common to see reloading data for .358" diameter bullets in the 357 Max., so it's possible that suitable Legend loads will be developed using .358" diameter bullets.

Such a cartridge has been needed for some time for hunting in certain states. I am considering buying a bolt action chambered for the cartridge myself, IF suitable deer hunting handloads can be assembled. Otherwise I'll stick with the 44 Mag.
Old February 22, 2019, 01:14 PM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I've been pondering an AR build for a lightweight hunting rig.
Keep pondering, the use of an AR precludes a "light weight hunting rig".

You can build it light weight for an AR, but tis still going to be heavier (and "taller" or "deeper") than a light weight hunting rig built on a bolt or single shot action.

As far as the .350 Legend, if you're looking for a deer class round that fits in an AR15 size class action, and meets hunting regulation requirements, it should fill the bill.

If you can't use .358" bullets, that cuts out about all the deer suitable .35 caliber bullets currently available. I can understand the mechanical reason for the choice of .355" but its a stupid move for marketing.

Put it in a Mini-14? Again, mechanically possible, but not something I expect to be a sustainable commercial success. IF you love the mini-14 that much, enjoy the project. I'd read your results. If you aren't bound by hunting regs requiring a straight case, I don't see where one wouldn't be better off with a .35Rem Marlin 336, but, that's just me...

Good Luck!
Old February 22, 2019, 05:13 PM   #33
9x19

But you can fit a lot more .350 Legend rounds in your pocket that you can .35 Rem.....
Old February 22, 2019, 07:16 PM   #34
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
But you can fit a lot more .350 Legend rounds in your pocket that you can .35 Rem.....

That might be important, if I'm ever in a firefight with a deer...