The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 3, 2018, 12:40 PM   #1
TruthTellers

I need scope options for 10/22 Charger

I have a Ruger Charger pistol with a brace on it that I shoot off the shoulder. I went to the range yesterday to shoot it for the first time and it is extraordinarily accurate, probably the most accurate .22 I have and it has the potential to be even more accurate than 1 inch at 50 yards; I firmly believe with a BX trigger, match ammo, and a better scope setup it can group 1 inch at 100 yards.

The biggest issue I have with the setup now is that the scope I have (Mueller APV with Adj. Objective) is large, heavy, and has a terrible sight axis. Given that the brace I'm using has no cheek rest to speak of, it's impossible to get into a comfortable position that's copacetic with the eyebox of the scope.

I had been looking at the Primary Arms Fixed 6x ACSS .22 scope, but the Mueller's magnification is adjustable from 4.5-14x and I shot so well at 12x that I think I need a scope that's higher power than 6x magnification.

What's out there for a decent 3-9x or 4-12x scope that's not big and heavy and has a better eyebox that doesn't require me to have to spend 10 seconds trying to find the best position to see the picture?
Old May 3, 2018, 01:38 PM   #2
DaleA

Sounds cool.

Got pictures?
Old May 4, 2018, 01:47 AM   #3
BigBL87

I feel like the UTG Bug Buster would be a good fit size wise and magnification wise. It is a UTG, I know, but it does get surprisingly good reviews. Really compact, not really much competes with it for its size, as it is just over 8 inches long and 13.9 oz, so about 3 oz lighter than the APV.

I have an APV on my Savage Mark II. Good scope at a great price, but like you I too find the eyebox a little finicky.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:11 AM   #4
TruthTellers

I found this Simmons ProSport 4-12x scope and it weighs less than the Mueller I currently have does, yet still retains the adjustable objective. I have a Simmons on another .22 and have had good results with it, so I think I'm going to give this higher end one a try.

https://www.amazon.com/Simmons-Adjus...ons+prosport+4
Old May 5, 2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Onward Allusion

You may want to delete that part about the brace.
Old May 5, 2018, 03:35 PM   #6
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
I'm not going to bother with the legal aspects of it, so far as I know the ATF said a pistol that has a brace attached to it is not a buttstock and isn't making it an SBR. I don't know how you turn a pistol into a rifle in any capacity, short barrel or not short barrel.
Old May 7, 2018, 07:31 AM   #7
gshayd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoC8Q40NVRY

Vortex makes a 2-7x scope that I would use on the Charger

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...ex-moa-reticle

If you want to keep it as a pistol they also have a scout model.

it has a 9.45" eye relief.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:28 AM   #8
Sharkbite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
There is nothing wrong with having a brace on the pistol. BATFE has said they are ok. Their official position is that its GTG as long as your intent is not to make a shoulder fired firearm.

“Incidental contact” with the shoulder does not make it an SBR.

Now, putting a short eye relief scope that can really only be used with the gun shouldered MAY show your intent to shoulder. IDK

I put a reddot sight on my charger. That can be used regardless of position.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:04 PM   #9
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
There is nothing wrong with having a brace on the pistol. BATFE has said they are ok. Their official position is that its GTG as long as your intent is not to make a shoulder fired firearm.

“Incidental contact” with the shoulder does not make it an SBR.

Now, putting a short eye relief scope that can really only be used with the gun shouldered MAY show your intent to shoulder. IDK

I put a reddot sight on my charger. That can be used regardless of position.
I put the scope on because I wanted to see what the accuracy was off a rest. I can still shoot it without it touching the shoulder, it's a .22 recoil isn't much.

I can't do red dot, astigmatism. I have thought about the See All Open Sight, but I really want some kind of magnification that way I can shoot well further than 25 yards.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:52 PM   #10
riffraff

I'm not sure I understand the charger and certainly I don't get the idea of putting a scope on it but there are lots of things I do not understand.

Those UTG Bug Busters (variable 3-9) would seem a real good fit and the eye relief I believe is nearly 4 inches so may also help as a passable pistol. Normally you can find them around $75, I scored one on Ebay for not much more than $50.

Initial testing so far so good last weekend on a standard sort of AR - will it eventually let me down? - no idea, but on a .22 odds are even better of it holding up. Is not very large or heavy, I feel the size is a perfect fit for my setup. If it keeps working well I'll probably end up with one on another rifle too, because it's such a great fit and modest cost.

You would know better than me, I wouldn't say UTG stuff is all that and the proverbial bag of chips but for certain things I think you can spend more for a higher end brand but end up with less quality than the equivalent UTG model. I have about 10 various UTG gadgets - half are as good or better than I expected, half are OK or a little flawed, couple I believe are about top quality for what they are (and they were not cheap either so the price reflects that) a couple disappointments.
Old May 9, 2018, 02:39 AM   #11
gshayd

The advantage of a scope is a magnification of the small target and to increase the line of sight on the target. Red Dot is not suited for precision shooting.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:48 PM   #12
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshayd View Post
The advantage of a scope is a magnification of the small target and to increase the line of sight on the target. Red Dot is not suited for precision shooting.
Exactly and my intended target for a .22 is small game and magnifying small game at 25, 50, or 75 yards is a must and when you have a gun that's 1 to 2 MOA capable, it'd be a waste to just throw a red dot on it.

Now, for my 4 MOA Marlin bolt action with the 22 inch barrel a red dot would be great.
Old May 10, 2018, 02:48 PM   #13
Areoflyer09

How important is the ability to adjust the parallax down to 25 yards? Glass quality? Weight? Magnification?

I just went through this for the TacSol 10/22 I picked up. Found a great buy on a Vortex Razor HD LH, but I think that the physical size may be a bit much for a Charger.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:59 PM   #14
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areoflyer09 View Post
How important is the ability to adjust the parallax down to 25 yards? Glass quality? Weight? Magnification?

I just went through this for the TacSol 10/22 I picked up. Found a great buy on a Vortex Razor HD LH, but I think that the physical size may be a bit much for a Charger.
Not very, but the scope on it now has an adjustable objective, so IDK. The size and weight of the scope is a big consideration because I don't want a scope that's almost hanging over the muzzle.
Old May 11, 2018, 07:16 AM   #15
Areoflyer09

The AO definitely limits the options.

Looks like the Mueller APV you have is 17.5oz & 13.75” long.

The Nikon EFR Target would be an option, 15.7oz and 12.5”. That’s he first one that comes to mind. I’ll dig back though my notes and see what others I found though.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:54 PM   #16
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areoflyer09 View Post
The AO definitely limits the options.

Looks like the Mueller APV you have is 17.5oz & 13.75” long.

The Nikon EFR Target would be an option, 15.7oz and 12.5”. That’s he first one that comes to mind. I’ll dig back though my notes and see what others I found though.
It doesn't need to have an AO. I mean, the max distance I could probably shoot this accurately is 100 yards.

If this was a rifle that could go out to 200+ yards, then I would say yes, but for now, it's not necessary it have the AO.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:38 AM   #17
stagpanther

I have a couple of those primary arms scopes in different caliber configurations--they are more than adequate at not only quick-acquire shooting but can do sub MOA at 100 yds provided myself and the weapon are up to it.
Old May 12, 2018, 05:46 AM   #18
Areoflyer09

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
It doesn't need to have an AO. I mean, the max distance I could probably shoot this accurately is 100 yards.

If this was a rifle that could go out to 200+ yards, then I would say yes, but for now, it's not necessary it have the AO.
I’m a fan of the AO adjustment more for the shorter distances, but that’s due to limited local ranges. I spend more time at 25-50 yards. Sadly only my big Vortex has it.

The VX-1 is hard to beat on lightweight for a 3-9x40, 11.2oz. The Prostaff II isn’t much heavier, but it is nearly half the cost.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:58 AM   #19
Pahoo

Options

When I had my charger, I felt that it was capable of longer range performance so, I mounted a compact rifle scope on it and had absolutely great performance. I had the best of both worlds and was a super Squirrel killer. I also mounted a RedDot on my buddies Charger and that's where he want to stay. He enjoys his just as much as I enjoyed mine. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 13, 2018, 01:04 AM   #20
gshayd

I have a scout scope mounted on my Charger.
Old May 15, 2018, 02:32 AM   #21
TruthTellers

Finally got a picture:

Old May 15, 2018, 03:03 AM   #22
TruthTellers

You know what... while I'd normally look for decent quality scopes, tell me: what are the high end scopes that competition and match shooters are using on .22 rifles? How much do they cost and are they so much better they're worth more than a $120 scope?
Old May 15, 2018, 09:41 AM   #23
Areoflyer09

I went with the Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15, picked up for $599 on sale (MSRP was like $1050)at my local Cabelas. I wanted something that had clear glass, AO down to 25 yards (actually goes to 20) and would work for silhouette.

I found an older gentleman who worked at the store who does competitions and we talked it over and it’s the scope he would suggest, for the price, to start with. It’s good enough to try it out, but not so expensive that if I don’t enjoy competition that I feel like I way over bought.

I spent time talking to the guys at Vortex. Their recommendation followed suit given that glass quality was a priority for me. There is a Diamondback HP 4-16 that they also recommended as a more budget friendly option. AO down to 30 yards, glass was good but not quite as good.

As far as worth it? Every penny. I thought people were crazy for the prices on optics, not so much anymore. Or I’ve just become on of those crazy people. If I could swap all of my optics to to this one, I would. It really is that nice. But it comes down to your preference for the glass quality of the cost is worth it.
Old November 8, 2018, 04:48 AM   #24
TruthTellers

Nothing has changed since I made this thread, but I have come across a new scope that I'd like feedback on for those who own or have owned it. It's the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire scopes

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/38...-reticle-matte

They're made in 3-9x and 4-12x with the latter being $20 more. The 3-9x costs the same as the fixed 6x Primary Arms ACSS rimfire scope, but lacks the ACSS reticle.

Thoughts? I'm really digging it and the variable power means I could still realistically use the Charger at shorter range distances, say 10 yards, but have the optic to be able to reach out a bit further.
Old November 8, 2018, 08:10 PM   #25
Pahoo

A Fixed 4X works for me. ..

Quote:
I also mounted a RedDot on my buddies Charger and that's where he wants to stay
Well, my buddy changed his mind and asked me to help him with a cope. So, I put a 4x32 rifle scope and told him to try it out and see how he liked it. Told him that I was in no hurry to get it back until he finds something he likes. This scope was just sitting around looking for a service. After working with it, he shot a 1/2" group at 50yds. and how he likes this better. I may never get this scope back but that's okay as he has done me a lot of favors. He's even got the target posted on his wall. ……

That 3-9 should work out well but I prefer the smaller bell for this charger. Your money, your call..

Be Safe !!!