The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2017, 07:23 AM   #1
mauiglide

Lee Precision Reloading Stand - any feedback?

A month ago I was fortunate in inheriting a reloading system that consisted of a RCBS Rock Chucker, powder dispenser, beam scale, a set (3) of .38 spl dies, Speer bullets (.38 cal 148gr hollow base wadcutter), new .38 spl cases, small and large primer feeders, and other odds and ends.

I'm planning to invest and acquire all the necessary equipment to start reloading. I've already ordered a Lyman Reloading manual (50th edition) and now looking for a reloading bench. I was looking at a Lee Precision reloading stand but figure I better ask around for some feedback on it:

I really would appreciate any and all feedback on this stand. Thanks.
Old November 18, 2017, 08:20 AM   #2
hounddawg

the stand you are looking at has been pre drilled for Lee products so you would have to drill it for mounting the Rockchucker. I will assume you have a hand drill to do that so if you have access to a few basic woodworking tools look at the reloading bench thread. There are a lot of ideas members here use and Arms Texas has the slickest portable reloading stand I have ever seen in post 19

I saw this and if you can do a straight cut on a 2 x 4 and a have a space to put it you would have a nice bench with some shelves for storage for less money than the stand. If you plan on investing and buying more equipment for reloading you will need a lot more storage space than the stand offers

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...kaAsBYEALw_wcB

Last edited by hounddawg; November 18, 2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old November 18, 2017, 09:01 AM   #3
berettaprofessor

I'm sure it makes a nice portable stand and would be good for those who have small spaces or want the portability. I'm also pretty sure that the "Precision" part is mostly for marketing and if you have the room, a solid bench with more space would be better; considering the number of things I have arrayed around my 4 foot bench, I really am wanting an 8 foot space now

And if that sounds "anti-Lee", please try to keep in mind that I'm a Lee guy...all of my dies and presses are Lee, although I have scales and other paraphrenalia from about everybody.

For a starter bench, I went with the one linked below; the link is Walmart selling from Amazon (??), but you can get it at Home Depot, Sam's etc. Extremely solid and heavy, stainless steel pegboard means you can use hangers or magnets for stuff, and the overhead fluroscent light and built-in electric sockets are necessary. I have a single stage and a turret placed on the ends. I'd just like to have two of them now.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Seville-C...&wl13=&veh=sem

Last edited by berettaprofessor; November 18, 2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old November 18, 2017, 09:44 AM   #4
BBarn

I haven't used such a stand so I can't comment on how suitable it is. As pointed out above you'll want more space when reloading for things like empty brass and bullets.

So it may be fine for mounting a press etc., but you'll need another shelf/table area nearby as well.
Old November 18, 2017, 12:49 PM   #5
mikld

The holes/adaptor plates are universal, look at the pic at the slotted holes. I don't have one but those reports I've read say the stand is fairly solid. Those that used them stated they either placed a foot on the stand to steady it and one user stacked about 100 lbs of lead on the lower shelf. When I did not have a dedicated place to reload I used a Workmate and it was fairly steady. You want some system that won't wobble as you operate the press in more difficult steps (large case sizing).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg portable reloading sta..JPG (59.9 KB, 699 views)
Old November 18, 2017, 12:50 PM   #6
TruthTellers

It works.

What more do you want to know?
Old November 18, 2017, 06:27 PM   #7
mauiglide

Thanks people. I appreciate the info so far. The Lee Precision Reloading bench would be for the RCBS and of course I would have another table on the side for other equipment and items. I just don't have much room to dedicate a larger reloading table. Aloha to all.
Old November 18, 2017, 11:51 PM   #8
Radny97

I hav limited space and I’m very happy with mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 19, 2017, 01:03 AM   #9
mauiglide

Radny97:

So how did you weigh down your stand? Instructions say to use cinder blocks but I would think that wouldn't be enough. Thanks.

BTW, will the RCBS Rock Chucker bolt up to this table? I know there is an adapter kit for the Lee bench.

Last edited by mauiglide; November 19, 2017 at 03:51 AM.
Old November 19, 2017, 09:20 PM   #10
larryh1108

I have one and I love it.
I have a very full tool box on the shelf for weight.
I have a single stage Lee, though.
It does what it's intended to do.
Old November 20, 2017, 08:27 AM   #11
jpx2rk

Take a look at the FA portable loading bench. I have one with 2 Lee SS presses mounted, pretty solid and some adjustability as well. I reload for 204/223 so it works for my needs.
Old November 20, 2017, 09:02 AM   #12
springer99

Never used one but, if it can be bolted to a solid floor, etc. I'm sure it'll work well. Otherwise, I can't see the advantage to any small desk or tabletop.
Old November 20, 2017, 09:54 AM   #13
Don P

Quote:
I'm also pretty sure that the "Precision" part is mostly for marketing
It happens to be the company name, Lee Precision.
www.leeprecision.com
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 20, 2017, 03:26 PM   #14
TailGator

I looked at that when I got started, but decided that I wanted some bench space. I bought a tool stand from Harbor Freight and layered up plywood for a top. It made an economical bench. It could use a little more weight, but it is a good starting place and doesn't take up much room. I envy some of the big benches that the guys here have.
Old November 20, 2017, 05:06 PM   #15
berettaprofessor

Quote:
It happens to be the company name, Lee Precision.
Hmmm...you'd think I would know that by now...after 4-5 years of using mostly just their equipment. Somehow, I never noticed. My apologies to Lee Precision Inc.
Old November 21, 2017, 12:20 AM   #16
mauiglide

After reading all the the posts on this thread the more I feel this is not the route to go with my first reloading bench.

The other night I spoke to my boss at my second gig and mentioned if I it would be okay to use a utility room at a property he owns to do my reloading and he was good with that. There is an old metal office desk in there that could be converted into a great reloading bench. The desk weighs quite a bit. Hmmmm...

Thanks for everyone's input. I really appreciate it.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Old November 26, 2017, 06:23 PM   #17
Seamus Mc

I have this Lee stand because I needed something portable. I needed to drill one additional hole in the plate to hold my RCBS Rockchucker press. I use the recommended cement block on the, included, hanging wires and this makes it very sturdy. Setup works fine if you don’t have room for a bench.

SEAMUS
Old November 26, 2017, 06:39 PM   #18
DaleA

Quote:
old metal office desk in there that could be converted into a great reloading bench. The desk weighs quite a bit.
And it will weigh even MORE when you store all the different bullets for all the different calibers you'll find yourself reloading. I TOTALLY dismiss the idea of needing a cinder block just for weight in any reloading situation.

Check out this recent thread for some more reloading bench ideas.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=591142
Old November 26, 2017, 07:29 PM   #19
Radny97

Mauiglide i used the recommended cinderblock and then i weighed it down even more storing some bullets on and in the block as well as on the shelf. It’s rock solid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 28, 2017, 12:49 PM   #20
reynolds357

To me "Lee" and "Precision" are oxymorons.
Old November 28, 2017, 01:09 PM   #21
T. O'Heir

"...planning to invest and acquire..." Sounds like you have everything. Only thing you'd need for another cartridge is dies and a shell holder.
The Lee stands is an "It'll do." thing. Good if space is limited. Downside is you have no place on either side for a bin of unprocessed cases on one side and a bin for processed case on the other. No place for a scale either. All that can be sorted out though.
The whole thing about a loading bench is that it must be solid and have enough room. It doesn't have to be from a reloading company. Any solid work bench will do. A solid outside wooden door on a 2 x 4 bases will do too. Lot of it is about how much space you have in your home for a bench. Have a 3 x 4 foot work bench in a one bed room apartment myself. There is just me living there though.
"...recommended cement block..." Kind of light. A 50 pound bag of play sand runs less than $5 in garden supply and Home Depot, etc.
Old November 30, 2017, 11:56 PM   #22
cc1965

My bench, recently purchased from Harbor Freight
https://m.harborfreight.com/60-inch-...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A
On sale for $119
Old December 1, 2017, 12:00 AM   #23
TripleGGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1965 View Post
My bench, recently purchased from Harbor Freight
https://m.harborfreight.com/60-inch-...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A
On sale for $119
Same exact bench for me. I really like it.