The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 10, 2017, 11:27 PM   #1
Prof Young

How are you doing with your Springfield XDE?

So, I've had the Springfield XDE for a couple months now and have probably put somewhere between 600 an 800 rounds through it. It groups okay for a short barreled handgun but I'm having a heck of a time getting the group in the point of aim. I shot it off a sand bag recently and am fairly confident that the gun is accurate. The trigger reach is kind of long, but I don't have any trouble keeping the back of the butt in the "web" and the pad of my trigger finger on the trigger. I got a 38 spl about the same time and have been shooting it in good groups and on target almost from day one. It has a rubber grip with finger contours. So, I'm getting better with the XDE, but it seem to be slow going and I don't know that I'll ever feel comfortable with it as a carry gun. Not done with it yet.

How are you doing with yours?

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old November 12, 2017, 12:08 PM   #2
cmdc

Where does it group relative to point of aim?
Old November 13, 2017, 11:48 AM   #3
Prof Young

The usual spot . . .

They group down and to the left which is my "usual" starting point as I learn to shoot a new gun. I know that is all about trigger control and grip. Still learning, learning, learning . . . .

Life is good
Prof Young
Old November 19, 2017, 07:13 PM   #4
Cola308

I do not have the XDE but I have a Springfield XD Full Size Pistol and subcompact both 40 cal.best two pistols I own, best shooting -- they will shoot the bulls eye out of a target easily. The subcompact for conceal carry and the full size for home protection. I have a Springfield 1911 45cal that is sweet also.
Old November 19, 2017, 08:38 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

Prof - somewhere around here, and I imagine you've probably seen it, is a chart that shows what needs to be addressed as far as grip and hold when hitting low to the left, to the right, etc. depending what "hour mark" of the clock you are hitting as opposed to center aim.

For me, 600 to 800 rounds would be maybe a half dozen trips to the range - but then I reload and am not buying store bought ammo either. I don't think you are alone on what is going on at all. I'm more of a revolver hooter but do have a couple of semi autos. Currently, I have a 9mm Shield. When I first got it, I had the same issue - low to the left. Since it was bought for q CCW handgun, I started out at close range to the target - don't laugh, but I think the first distance was maybe 9 or ten feet. Once I had put enough through it and worked on a "consistent" grip, I moved back a yard until I could get good groups at that range. After few more trips to shoot, I finally got to where I could group them fairly well in terms of POA and POI. I remember looking t that chart though and keeping it in the back my mind.

I've held the Springfield but never shot one. My hands are not large and the Shield felt comfortable in my hnnds but I didn't feel like I was getting a consistent grip. I ended up putting one of the secondary market sleeves on the grip and it added just enough that I now get a consistent grip and can put them in tight enough at SD range that I'm satisfied.

Don't give up s you'll get it all figured out and it will just take more practice. Just know that you have plenty of company! :-)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 19, 2017, 10:09 PM   #6
Prof Young

It's a process . . .

Thanks Bedbugbilly. Yea it is process and you'd think once you get good at it with one semi auto you be okay with the rest, but not so. I understand it's all about grip and trigger finger placement and pulling the trigger straight back without pushing it to the left or pulling it to the right.

I'm familiar with the chart you are talking about. Used to have on in my range bag.

At ten yards I'm a relatively good shot with my Sig p238 (380) and my Rock Island 1911 in 45. So I'm a decent shot with my smallest and largest semi-auto but the stuff in between gives me trouble. Ah well. It's a process.

I do reload my own for the per-shot savings. Am life time member a local inside range so can go as much as I like. I usually carry the little Sig, and would like to carry the Springfield, but not until I'm a better shot with it.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old January 8, 2018, 05:47 AM   #7
TDL

I shot my pal's at the range the other day. I had really been thinking about the XD-E before shooting it, and know it is not for me at all after shooting it.

For me, on specs on paper this had a lot of things going for it.
  • Usable in same manual of arms as my sig 226 and 229.
  • Smaller and lighter than my 229
  • Better capacity than 938, g43, shield, close to my jurisdiction's max on capacity, especially with our legal limit of one spare mag for carry. IE 18 shots at 8+1+9 vs 13 shots on a g43 oem mag.
  • better out of the box sights than most
  • good price
  • 3 mags

I have double stack DA/SA Sig P22* guns and thought the XDE, with its hammer, decocker, and DA/SA action would be a good cold weather carry alternative to my the heavier and slightly larger p229.

What I learned is this gun is not for me, and I think, at least in DA/SA, not for most with average size men's hands. My arthritic grandmother could rack the slide on this. it is almost a shock when you rack it how easy it is -- but the DA trigger is a very very long reach. That the XDE movement is less refined, and the 13 or 14 lb weight is more than my 11lb Sig DA trigger is acceptable. But the reach is really a problem for me. I did quite a number of dry fire DA and still had a problem.

When I got back from the range I looked at some of the Yutube reviews. What I noticed is almost all had the reviewer inserting mag, and racking slide, and firing, without hitting the decocker. Shoots acceptably in that SA mode, but that was not the mode I was interested in for carry.

I see you have 1911 and 1911 battery of arms p238. Ironically I think for someone coming from that platform -- if you want to carry cocked and locked -- the XDE SA trigger and accuracy is not bad.
Old January 8, 2018, 05:57 PM   #8
dontcatchmany

I have a similar problem with my Shield 40. I am left handed andI am low and right but my groups are not very good.

My other pistols are not a problem.

I have come to the conclusion that it is the smaller grip and combined with the arthritis in my hands keeping me from securely gripping the pistol's smaller grip. A glove initially and then a grip sleeve helped, but not to the point that I am comfortable with the Shield even after close to 1,000 rds.

The trigger is gritty and I feel that I am putting more downward and right pressure that is causing the shots to go awry.

I am taking the gun to my FFL and have him shoot it and based on what he finds will maybe get a trigger replacement..

Maybe the grip on your XDe is small and you are unaccustomed to the grip necessary. I fondled one a couple of weeks ago and it was similar in size to my Shield. My other pistols are larger gripped and I do not have the problems with them that I have with the Shield.

I am also working on strengthening my wrist and grip with a tennis ball and will eventually feel more comfortable shooting it....I hope.

I have not given up on the Shield yet after close to 1,000 rds and got 500 more rounds today to work on it.

The good thing is that the Shield has caused me to re-evaluate my shooting and I have come across some flaws that I have picked up along the way.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by dontcatchmany; January 8, 2018 at 06:18 PM.