The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 8, 2017, 06:23 PM   #1
B-Deck

Red dot with fixed front sight

I might be in line to get a good deal on an Eotech 512. I plan on mounting it on a rifle with a fixed A2 style front sight.

So my question is how compatible is it the fixed front sight. I know with the right mounts you can absolute co-witness and 1/3 co-witness but in either option does the front sight obstruct the view of the dot through the glass?

And do y'all have any suggestions as to which sights run best with a fixed front sight. Will probably go ahead and get the Eotech, but I'm just curious about y'alls experience with red dots and fixed front sights.
Old November 8, 2017, 09:24 PM   #2
Sharkbite

My DoS issued 10.5” M4 had a fixed fsb with an Eo-tech. I never had a problem with the FSB interfering with the reddot.
Old November 9, 2017, 02:45 PM   #3
DMK

Quote:
in either option does the front sight obstruct the view of the dot through the glass?
Yes and No.

Yes in that the Eotech will "Absolute cowitness" and front sight base will be visible when you look through the optic.

No in that if this is a problem you aren't using your red dot correctly. You don't use a red dot the same as a magnified scope. You don't actually sight through a red dot. You keep both eyes open and focus on the target. The front sight will be there in your vision, but you ignore it and it's just a ghost image.

You could put duct tape on the front of a red dot and you can still hit your target if you are using if correctly with both eyes open and focus on the target.
Old November 27, 2017, 03:07 AM   #4
bamaranger

cowitness

I've not a fan of the Eotech, and am not familiar with the #512. The "fighter plane/AAA" reticle in the Eotech is just too much for me to process, or so I believe. Maybe the 512 doesn't have that reticle, I dunno. But I much prefer a single red dot.

I further prefer a lower third cowitness, for the same reason, the simple dot seems more centered in my field of view, and the dot is my primary sight. If I have to shift to BUIS, tripping the rear sight, and slightly adjusting my cheekweld to pick up the tad lower irons is no big deal. Truth is, the Aimpoint Pros that I've worked with have never failed, and though training with the BUIS is important, the dot is the primary sight, and I want the dot to be clear and uncluttered in my field of view.

The absolute cowitness with the front sight tower well up into the field of view is just to busy for me, the same reason I don't care for the AAA reticle in most (all?) Eotechs. If the #512 has the AAA reticle, for me, all that reticle, and the front sight tower too, (in an absolute witness) would be a far too busy sight picture. A 1/2" riser would likely give you a lower third CW without a lot of fuss.

But the cowitness thing is a sort of personal matter, and there are fans on both sides of the fence. Youtube has some fair videos on the topic, and viewing those may give you some ideas of what you might prefer.
Old November 27, 2017, 11:30 PM   #5
jmhyer

I just went through this debate with myself. My red dot is a Romeo5. I had thought that I would absolutely want to replace my A2 front sight with a rail to mount a flip up front sight, for the reasons you mentioned. However, once I got the red dot on, I realized that it works just fine and have all but abandoned the idea of removing/replacing the A2 front sight. I do plan to get a flip up rear sight, though. I would only flip it up in the unlikely event of red dot failure.
Old November 28, 2017, 05:13 AM   #6
DukeConnor

If I close the front cap on my aimpoint i can still shoot it fine. As said above, both eyes open and focus on the target.
Old November 29, 2017, 03:41 PM   #7
DMK

Quote:
The "fighter plane/AAA" reticle in the Eotech is just too much for me to process, or so I believe.
I absolutely love that reticle. I wish more red dots had it (AFAIK only Eotech and Holosun use circle dot reticles, aside from a few cheap knockoffs).

The main benefit is you have the 1 moa dot for long range precision shots, and have that huge ring to draw your eye in for quick aquisition. You can use quadrants of the ring for hold over/unders (For example, I used to center the target between the dot and the lower part of the ring for 15y shots).

I wish someone made a red dot with Aimpoint's battery life, toughness and reliability, but with Eotech's reticle.
Old November 29, 2017, 04:32 PM   #8
Sharkbite

Quote:
I wish someone made a red dot with Aimpoint's battery life, toughness and reliability, but with Eotech's reticle.
AMEN!!!... id replace a handful of my red dots today if that sight came to be.
Old November 29, 2017, 06:31 PM   #9
Eazyeach

^^^^^^ what they said. I love my eotech but for HD it is a pita. Where aimpoint is set it and forget it. Ronco style!!
Old November 29, 2017, 08:04 PM   #10
Nathan

You can see the front sight base clear as day.

That said, shooting with a red dot is a both eyes open, focused on target method. So, I have to ask, why are you looking at the fsb?

All those other sighting options sound great, but consider that the std taper pinned fsb is the most reliable gas block and quickest to deploy front sight.

I would tell you to train with the red dot and fsb before pitching it.
Old November 30, 2017, 10:45 PM   #11
B-Deck

I've run red dots on rifles with no front sight post and know how to run them with both eyes open, I was more concerned with the reticle of the Eotech and the front sight post cluttering the view.

I like the single dot of other sights like Aimpoints with nothing else in the field of view and how easy it is to pick up. I was curious of yall's experience with a busy field of view and how co-witnessing with the irons worked along side with it.

I know I could remove the front sight post to get that clear view, but I want to see how well the rifle runs with the front sight post gas block compared to low profile style.
Old December 1, 2017, 08:09 AM   #12
DMK

Quote:
I was more concerned with the reticle of the Eotech and the front sight post cluttering the view.
Nathan's right. Clutter shouldn't be an issue.

You are focused on your target and you have a big bright illuminated reticle superimposed over it. That brightly lit reticle will be very apparent even though you aren't looking at it, but everything else will be ghosted out if you are doing it right.

Don't look at the reticle. Don't look at the sights. Look at the target. Both eyes open.

I never notice my front sight until I focus on looking for it. Even with flip ups, I always leave the front up and often leave the rear one up too.

Even the complicated reticle shouldn't be an issue. I've used optics with Primary Arms ACSS reticle and that makes the Eotech downright simple in comparison. What you are aiming with is right in the center. Ignore everything else unless you are trying to do windage or hold overs.

Quote:
You can see the front sight base clear as day.
If you are looking for it. Don't look for it. Your right eye sees it, but you brain should be ignoring it and using the target information from your left eye (Reverse if you are a lefty).

Last edited by DMK; December 1, 2017 at 08:20 AM.