The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 25, 2017, 11:43 AM   #1
brmaher27

375 H&H drilling

This is purely to satisfy my own curiosity but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a Drilling (three barreled long gun) with two barrels chambered in 375 H&H and a shotgun barrel in either 12 or twenty gauge. I've seen a few similar configurations in other chamberings but I'm wondering if this specific chambering has been done before. I'm a huge fan of the 375 h&h and I'm completely in love with drillings. Anyway, I'm just curious and I would appreciate anyone with knowledge on the subject sharing it. Thanks y'all
Old October 25, 2017, 02:23 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Drillings are usually a rifle barrel under smooth bore barrels. A double rifle with a shotgun barrel would be highly unusual. Never heard of any such thing myself.
Old October 25, 2017, 03:41 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Well, T. that is a doppelbuch drilling, two rifle barrels, one shot. Not common and more expensive because of the extra work to regulate the rifle barrels to shoot together.

Kreighoff has the Optima Big Five Double Rifle Drilling but not available in .375 H&H Belted, but made in the superior .375 Flanged.

I don't see anything by Heym and the odd looking Blaser D99 triple is not made in large calibers.

Once upon a time, Stoeger imported a double rifle drilling, from somewhere in Europe. Any caliber/gauge $425. Pretty cheap when a H&H double express was $840 in the plainest grade. In 1939.
Old October 25, 2017, 08:33 PM   #4
brmaher27

Mister Watson, I had previously considered the Optima Big Five Drilling and I have assumed that a custom barrel set could likely be produced chambered in 375 H&H as Krieghoff produces double rifles in 375 H&H. I am intrigued by your statement that 375 Flanged is superior to H&H belted. My limited knowledge of 375 Flanged leads me to believe that it is ballistically inferior to H&H belted but I understand that the Flanged cartridge would be simpler to chamber in a break action rifle due to its rim. Can you please elaborate on the advantages of 375 Flanged when compared to H&H belted?
Old October 25, 2017, 09:30 PM   #5
Jim Watson

I am sure you know the difference between rimmed and rimless extractors. Rimmed has fewer moving parts and a wider bite. That is reassuring to me on a bear bumper class rifle.

But as you say they offer a DR in belted so they might well build a drilling for the more popular cartridge.
Old October 26, 2017, 11:05 PM   #6
the possum

Once in a magazine I saw an article about a Vierling in .375 H&H - in all four barrels! But I've been cruising all the auction sites for Drillings for several years (just bought a nitro proofed hammer Drilling) and don't ever recall seeing that combination come up for sale anywhere. I've seen some chambered in 9.3x62mm, which is sorta like the "European .375". But I've got a feeling if your heart is set on this particular configuration, you'd need it made custom or spend half yer life searching.

Tags
375 h&h , drilling