The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 28, 2017, 05:04 PM   #26
hdwhit

Quote:
Is there any money to be saved building vs buying an AR in this Market?
Possibly, but it is such a small amount of money that it should not be a major factor in the "make vs. buy" decision.
Old October 29, 2017, 12:34 AM   #27
Stats Shooter

Quote:
Possibly, but it is such a small amount of money that it should not be a major factor in the "make vs. buy" decision
I started this thread because cost benefit analytics is part of what I do for a living...... generally a bit more complicated than this decision but not as much fun.

With the market where it is, I see little monetary benefits.

Therefore, the benefits including customization, uncommon cartridges, and personal satisfaction/excitement from building.

The pros for buying include warranty, not needing some of the building tools
With quality makers you get a good fit and finish
And perhaps more important than the warranty, the resale of a Daniel Defense or Colt will be what you have into it, or more while you may have some trouble getting that out of a come constructed rifle.

But again, at this time, at least as far as 556, no real money to be saved.
Old October 29, 2017, 02:22 AM   #28
stagpanther

And then there's the addiction.

That's probably the reason I have so much fun--it's a kick building a build and also tuning the optimal cartridge for it. In general, I consider a good build one that shoots MOA or less pretty consistently--and if the barrel manufacturer guarantees the barrel to shoot MOA or less--then I expect it to be capable or .5 MOA or less.
Old October 29, 2017, 04:36 PM   #29
BWM

Time you order all the parts and pay shipping and some tax you will not save any if you are not a dealer.Then you do not have any one to fall back on if it goes wrong! I have built 2 AR 15 and they cost me more than ones that I bought new.
Old October 30, 2017, 08:23 AM   #30
DMK

Quote:
With the market where it is, I see little monetary benefits.

Therefore, the benefits including customization, uncommon cartridges, and personal satisfaction/excitement from building.

The pros for buying include warranty, not needing some of the building tools
With quality makers you get a good fit and finish
And perhaps more important than the warranty, the resale of a Daniel Defense or Colt will be what you have into it, or more while you may have some trouble getting that out of a come constructed rifle.
That's a good summary.

A good parallel to this is the Personal Computer. I can build a PC, customizing it to my needs, perhaps ending up with a higher quality product for my preferences, but even with saving money on components via sales discounts and careful shopping, the completed PC will always be more expensive than a decent quality "off the shelf" PC that I can buy from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.

The flip side is, while the latter may be adequate in getting the job done, it won't likely be exactly what I want and I may put more money into it later, to customize it to my needs.

Last edited by DMK; October 30, 2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old October 30, 2017, 05:06 PM   #31
Justice06RR

In the current economy, the savings of building vs buying is minimal. But it is there if you do it in larger volume, say 4 or more AR15's per month with a profit of $100 per rifle.

For example, I can build a complete basic AR15 for about $400 or less. You can resell them for about $500 (so you get $100 profit each). The problem is that the current AR market is saturated and sales are very slow.

For anyone interested, the best places to buy online is Palmetto State Armory and OutdoorSportsUSA.com. Both websites offer free shipping on their items so this saves you a ton if buying multiple items.
Old October 31, 2017, 11:38 AM   #32
DMK

Quote:
I can build a complete basic AR15 for about $400 or less. You can resell them for about $500 (so you get $100 profit each).
The ATF is going to frown on that without a manufacturing FFL (Type 7). Even a dealer (type 1 FFL) can't do that without a type 7 FFL.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...-licenses-ffls
Old November 2, 2017, 08:43 PM   #33
GLK

In my opinion and experience I'll have to say other than a half dozen or so entry level carbines which were patched together with all PSA supplied parts I have never really "saved any money" building. But I do have four extremely nice AR platforms, it just took me longer and I got to play with a lot of stuff both quality & and not so much . along the way.

Also just my opinion & experience again I'll say other than two or three of the top boutique manufactures there has not been a better time to be buying a quality M-4gery and quality accessories. Heck just a few months back I was able to buy Larue 30 mm QDM's from Larue for $140.00 ea and Geissele SSA & SSA-E triggers from Primary Arms for $148.00. Botach had Colt 6933 complete uppers with a KAC quad rail for $600.00 shipped and Complete 6933 SBR's for $999.00. CDNN has Colt 6920's regularly with some free junk for $799.00. Just don't plan on selling any it for at least 5 years as the market is flooded with sellers.

Old November 2, 2017, 09:12 PM   #34
Nathan

The monetary value comes in content. Let's say you buy a Colt 6920. Great AR at a great price. If you really want that gun without changes, it is a screaming deal.

If you want a carbine with a great trigger, that is a Colt 6920 for $600 + a $200 trigger.

A good carbine can be built for $500. It can built with that trigger for $675.

Looks like you are $125 ahead.

If there are 2-3 upgrades you have in mind, value is shifting rapidly to build your own.
Old November 2, 2017, 09:37 PM   #35
rickyrick

My first AR is nothing like it’s original self.
Old November 2, 2017, 09:37 PM   #36
Stats Shooter

Quote:
The monetary value comes in content. Let's say you buy a Colt 6920. Great AR at a great price. If you really want that gun without changes, it is a screaming deal.

If you want a carbine with a great trigger, that is a Colt 6920 for $600 + a $200 trigger.
I agree, but that's why when I started this thread I mentioned that I wanted to exclude the cost of upgrading or customizing.

I got a Colt LE 6920 OEM for $650. I wanted a classic M4 so I put on a spare colt carrying handle I had already, some GI handguards, a spare trigger guard I had, and a magpul stock I had. The parts total value was $110 but they were just laying around so I used them.

There is no way I can build a rifle of that quality aquiring BCG, barrel, upper, lower, etc for that price.
Old November 4, 2017, 12:09 PM   #37
MagnumWill

Quote:
My first AR is nothing like it’s original self.
Oh man, you got that right. I think the only thing that’s the same on my first lower is the safety detent and spring, the pivot pins, and the buffer tube(and that’s only because the new Gen 3 Magpul PRS is awesome and can mount to a carbine tube).

Another plus in the “Build” column is that after building and AR or two... you come to the realization that you only need like two more parts to build an entirely new AR out of spare parts.

I got an email at work advertising Anderson 5.56 1:8 barrels (my favorite twist rate) for $59.99. Then I realized all I needed to complete an AR was that barrel, a stripped upper and a gas block (so out the door was like $120).

Now I have a new 16” AR just waiting to be broken in . Even though they’re “recycled” parts doesn’t mean they’re cheap. It’s got a PSA full Auto BCG, my BCM carry handle, a good Aero buffer tube, a Spike’s upgrades trigger, etc...and then you also have an AR that works well, that you’re not terribly attached to when suddenly the market flips on its head down the road.

Last edited by MagnumWill; November 4, 2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old November 11, 2017, 11:20 AM   #38
SanchoPanza

No, just buy

Colt LE6920

Colt AR6720

&/or

Colt AR15A4

Go on with life.

Maybe change 16.1" barrels for P&W 14.5"

(Presently building 2; but, I have 2 extra Complete Uppers from some years back)

Where are you in Mississippi?

Rudyard Kipling The Betrothed