The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 22, 2013, 11:02 PM   #1
Gunnerwar

Ruger super super redhawk Alaskan 454

I'm looking to buy an Alaskan in 454 casull but can't find someone who has one does anyone know a place?
Old May 23, 2013, 10:30 AM   #2
PetahW

There are over a half-dozen for auction & sale (BIN) on Gunbroker right now:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Ruger-Alask...uger%20Alaskan

And more for sale only on GA:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Ca...dhawk-Type.htm

Most sellers in both places are FFL's, who will be glad to ship one to your FFL for delivery.
The sellers who are not FFL's usually either ship to your FFL (with your FFL's permission) or have their FFL do the shipping to your FFL holder.

Old May 25, 2013, 12:32 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

GunsAmerica....

I've been a member of GA since 2004. I've purchased 3 firearms from the site.
My good friend just got a new in box Ruger LCR with a Lasermax Centerfire red dot unit.
He only paid $495.00 for the .38spl & the local FFL holder(a US Navy veteran & lawyer) charged him $20.00 for the FFL fee(plus the $5.00 state required background check).

I'm not a big fan of Gunbroker. GunsInternational.com or Gilbertsguns.com are good.
Old May 27, 2013, 03:22 PM   #4
RsqVet

I'm guessing he does not want to pay MSRP or over for a new or lightly used gun which would seem to be what things are going for on gun broker for the alaskan in 454.

As with anything my best advise, unless you really want to pay more, is to have patience and keep checking local outlets. I am not opposed to the internet gun sale sites but more and more I seem to see only unrealistic prices on the web. And frankly I am not getting into an auction to buy a new, current production catalog gun.

The 454 Alaskan is not out of production, not going out of production and can be found new, it just takes time and detective work as they always seem to either be in demand or being "flipped" by those who bought them and now want a premium for them. If you have a good relationship with a FFL ask them to get or hold one for you when it comes it, maybe even give them a deposit. In the current frenzied market this might take a year. If you live near a huge retailer like Cabelea's check them frequently, they do get them in and don't play games with pricing them above MSRP or stuff like that. I have found a few Ruger guns that are uncommon there, including my 454 Alaskan. You have to go in person, their web system is not accurate.

Good luck, took me 6 months, so it goes there are worse things to have to do than visit gun shops. If I recall correctly I paid 899 plus tax.