The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 2, 2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Pop POP

Remington Model 11

I inherted this shot gun from my father and I know nothing about it. Any help would be apreciated. Remington Model 11 SS# 284219. With a adjustable choke .Slug to Ultra full. It is in great condition.

Thanks
Pop Pop
Old October 2, 2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A lot of us have had these, and they're great shotguns. A JMB design, very similar to Browning's A-5.

A few parts interchange, like the springs and friction pieces. A new set will extend the working life by generations.

Not big hits on the collector market. Good "Using" 11s got for $300 or less around here.

A couple caveats....

These are strictly lead shot only, unless you like paying premiums for bismuth.

Many are choked quite tightly, so you're losing spread but gaining excessive density at medium range.

And while a few of these have been converted to 3", you're better off sticking to 2 3/4" fodder.

I had one, a family gun with Polychoke. I couldn't hit squat with it. A cousin has it now and loves it.

I suggest taking yours to a good smith. Browning's designs work very well, but are of complicated design and tight tolerances. Have the smith clean and lube the action,possibly for the first time ever, and check for damage to the fiber buffer at the rear of the receiver. New ones are out there if the buffer's history.

Have the smith show you how to set it up for light and heavy loads. Practice a few times until you have it nailed.

Now go shoot it. In your Dad's memory if nothing else. And enjoy.....
Old October 3, 2010, 07:56 AM   #3
Pop POP

Remington Model 11

Thank you for the feed back. This web site is new for me and I'm very impressed. Thanks Again.
Pop Pop
Old October 3, 2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Glad to help and welcome!!
Old October 4, 2010, 12:09 PM   #5
DG45

The only thing I'd add to Dave McC's response would be to say there are still a lot of us who own Remington Model 11's.

My rugged, reliable, classic old 12 gauge John Moses Browning-designed Remington Model 11 autoloader with an improved cylinder barrel was manufactured in 1938, but it's still my all-purpose shotgun because it still does everything I need a shotgun to do.

Last edited by DG45; October 4, 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old October 4, 2010, 09:30 PM   #6
stmichps

I found a Model 11 in 20ga. here a few months back with a 28" barrel and integrated polychoke. Overall condition was around 70% and my initial thought was to shorten the barrel to make it a house gun seeing I was able to get it for a little over $200 dollars.

Several individuals that I talked to about the gun and my plans for it told me that I was committing a unforgivable sin and suggested that I keep the gun as it is seeing that it's basically a A5 with a field grade finish. After careful reflection, I agreed with their view and currently it's at a local smith being refinish to like new condition.

Hopefully a son in law or grandchild will some day receive it as a gift if they can show me that they have the passion and will not just trade or sell it afterwards.