The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 30, 2006, 08:53 PM   #1
USMCGrunt

Winchester 1200 v. 1300...what's the difference?

Anybody know off hand what the difference between the Winchester 1200 and 1300 is?
Old June 30, 2006, 09:54 PM   #2
BUCKMARK

Very little.

The 1200 Winchester's were 99% FIXED choke guns. I say 99% because some of the last ones made were marked XTR and did in fact come with Win-chokes.

The 1300 was introduced in the late 70's ( 1978-1979) and came standard with Win-chokes...along with a newly designed forearm.

The early 1200's were plain barrel guns with fixed chokes...the later 1200's had ribbed barrels with fixed chokes except the few I mentioned with choke tubes.

The 1300 made the rib barrel with choke tubes standard.

Let's Roll!
Old July 1, 2006, 08:20 AM   #3
Edward429451

Could someone tell me about 1200 stocks? We had one that I used to have come home after sitting in a guys closet for 17 years. Needs a new stock is all. My understanding is that 1200 & 1300 stocks are the same but when I ordered a replacement it wasn't right.

My stock is flat where it meets the receiver (ala 870ish) but the replacement that showed up is kind of V shaped. Everyone I've asked has said that the stocks did not change.

THX.
Old July 1, 2006, 08:43 AM   #4
wacki

what is a "rib" barrel?
Old July 1, 2006, 03:09 PM   #5
BUCKMARK

"Rib" barrel has a rib on the top. It's that flat sighting plane that the bead is threaded into. If I recall Wacki...you own a Win. SX2 correct? It has a vent rib barrel.

The "plain" barrels were round with no rib of any kind attached to the top.

Let's Roll!
Old July 1, 2006, 03:18 PM   #6
BUCKMARK

Quote:
Could someone tell me about 1200 stocks? We had one that I used to have come home after sitting in a guys closet for 17 years. Needs a new stock is all. My understanding is that 1200 & 1300 stocks are the same but when I ordered a replacement it wasn't right.

My stock is flat where it meets the receiver (ala 870ish) but the replacement that showed up is kind of V shaped. Everyone I've asked has said that the stocks did not change.

I have seen hundreds of Winchester model 120's , 1200's, 1300's, 140's, and 1400's.... Every single one of them has the "V" shaped receiver and stock.

The father to the 1200/1300 .... the MODEL 12 has a flat stock. It is cut at a angle...but it is not "V" shaped and is more like the Rem.

MOST stocks for the 1300 should fit the 1200...IF the manufacture kept the specs correct.

Regards,
Buckmark

Let's Roll!
Old July 2, 2006, 01:52 PM   #7
Katrina Guy

Winchester Defender Help needed

Hi, brand new to this forum. I have made up my mind, partically based on messages posted here to purchase a new Winchester Defender. I feel the NEED for the mulitple shotgun shell rounds, sorry, I'm from New Orleans and am never going through THAT again wherever I live, if Marlin for instance made a version that was reliable that held a dozen rounds I would be prone to that model.
Now then, my question to you good people is this, I like the compactness of the pistol grip version of the Defender, or any riot type shotgun for that matter, however I am wondering how practical this is regarding actual shooting. Not shooting from the hip like in movies but actually holding it up as a regular shotgun to fire, seems like one unless they possess the body of Grizzly Adams would end up with a face full of shotgun butt???
Please, anyone here has a riot type shotgun with a pistol grip, give me your experience firing it.
IN the aftermath of Katrina in New Orleans one would be carrying their Defender everywhere they went indoors, even to the toilet, I've lived through/witnessed what most of you won't ever see in a lifetime, unless perhaps you've lived through the L.A. riots in 1990.
Next question: I have no intention of ever being, as a law abiding citizen of the United States, having some law enforcement bozo knock on my door and ORDER me out in five minutes or go to a jail with no judge to see the next day as was the policy of law enforcement in the days after Katrina, so, will slugs, say sabot slugs eliminate this threat, i.e. bullet proof vest penetration.
I'm a white collar professional, not some yahoo gun packing clown, as were just about ALL of law enforcement from all over the world in New Orleans after Katrina. Sorry if anyone in here is with law enforcement, mean no offense just seeking help in the right defense riot gun to get.
Finally but related to the topic of pistol grip or not, would a Defender model in 20 guage equiped with a pistol grip be better?

Thanks,
again I'm new here and have read all of the post and am prethanking you all.
Katrina Guy