The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 21, 2017, 09:11 PM   #1
rjinga

Let me introduce "The Snow Leopard"

I bought an SKS this afternoon.

From the first time I saw one, I thought they were kinda cool. I mean, who doesn't like a rifle with a fold-out bayonet, right? And, since 7.62x39 surplus ammunition is so cheap (compared to 7.62x51 anyway), it got me thinking of looking for an inexpensive plinking rifle.

So, when I saw this rifle, and extras, offered for sale on another forum by a seller that was only 30 minutes away, I contacted him. We met at his local indoor range and I got inspect the rifle and shoot it as well. The seller told me that it is Chinese military by way of Albania. I am curious about its history, but that isn't the main reason that I bought it.

I call it "The Snow Leopard" because of the splotches on the stock. All the numbers match, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to leave that original stock on it. I also think I'm going to keep the splotchy appearance; I kinda like it.

I got the rifle with sling, a Russian Arctic birch stock with hand-guard (probably going to re-sell), a "made in China" (in cursive) 20-round metal magazine (pretty sure I'm going to re-sell), 28 10-round stripper clips, a 7-pouch chest rig, and 80 rounds of ammunition for $350.00.

I shot all the ammo (and a little more) this afternoon, so stay tuned for my first range report!

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old October 21, 2017, 10:01 PM   #2
ttarp

Thats a pretty decent deal, too many folks try to ask $500+ for these rifles nowadays.
Old October 21, 2017, 11:07 PM   #3
rjinga

Test Firing at the Indoor Range

First target: 25 yds; standing, offhand; Tulammo; five shots at the X and five at the head (1st shot at each group marked).

Second target: same specs as first target (without 1st shots marked).

Third target: 7 yds; resting arms on counter; Tulammo; three shots; the squares are 1", the bulls-eye has a 1-3/4" diameter, and the 10 ring has a 3-1/2" diameter.

Forth target: same specs as third target.

Fifth target: 15 yds; resting arms on counter; Tulammo; four shots.

Sixth target (the bottom of the sheet, so I flipped it over): 25 yds; resting arms on counter; Tulammo; ten shots.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old October 21, 2017, 11:27 PM   #4
ms6852

Nice acquisition .
Old October 22, 2017, 12:41 AM   #5
rjinga

Taking the SKS out to 100 yds for the first time.

I took "The Snow Leopard" to the nearby 100 yd range the same afternoon that I bought her.

25 yds; bench rest; Tulammo; the bulls-eye has a 3" diameter; 10 rounds. I tried a 6:00 hold on the first shot and it's the one at the bottom of the bulls-eye. On the second shot, I tried a POA/POI hold, and the impact was almost dead center.

50 yds; bench rest; Tulammo; the 10-ring has a 7" diameter; 10 rounds. I think I was trying a POA/POI hold again.

50 yds again; bench rest; Monarch ammunition; POA/POI hold; 10 rounds. I was firing a little quicker than previously.

100 yds; bench rest; Monarch ammunition; POA/POI hold; 10 rounds.

100 yds again; bench rest; Tulammo; POA/POI hold; the 9-ring has a 13" diameter; nine rounds. Even though the Monarch seemed to shoot high, I suspected that the Tula would shot lower with the same hold, and that appears to be the case.

One target at 50 yds and another next to it at 51 yds; standing off-hand (trying to do the elbow on the hip thing); Tulammo; alternating shots at each target; 20 rounds.

Old October 24, 2017, 05:30 PM   #6
SanchoPanza

Keep the 20 rd mag if it is a Chinese fixed; they are good.

Rudyard Kipling The Betrothed
Old October 26, 2017, 08:04 PM   #7
fourbore

Being well used military surplus maybe a factor here. so; take this for what it is worth.

I got a mini-30 when they first came out. I was shooting groups like your gun due to discrepacy in bore diameter and bullets. I traded it in and moved on. At the same time a friend a new in box (Norinco I guess) chinese import sks. Back before the ban. That gun would shoot 3 inch at 100 yards and given iron sights I am sure that would have been better with a scope.

I dont know what is going on here. If this was my gun, I would be looking at the bore, crown, chamber and all the screws, etc. Something looks wrong here.
Old October 26, 2017, 08:22 PM   #8
Sevens

Haha, gotta chuckle at the 7 yard target -- because you brought it up early in the post, you should have shown us a paper target with bayonet jabs through the center!
Old October 26, 2017, 08:38 PM   #9
Ricklin

Grin

Nice sevens.....well it is a carbine.

Accuracy is not the strong suite of the sks. Best described as combat accuracy.

I love em for what they are, rugged, reliable, and cheap. Designed to put in the hands of conscrpits, peasants, and villiagers, there are a crap ton of them.

Don't try to make an ak out of it. Stripper clips are great. Enjoy it for what it is, a handy rugged compact carrbine.
It's the perfect ""truck gun" IMHO

Last edited by Ricklin; October 26, 2017 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old October 27, 2017, 02:17 PM   #10
rjinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin View Post
Nice sevens.....well it is a carbine.
At that point I was just trying to figure out the POA/POI, and get my 57 yo eyes used to the sights.

Quote:
Accuracy is not the strong suite of the sks. Best described as combat accuracy.
I'll always be working to tighten up my groups, but those will be MOM (minute of man) groups.

Quote:
I love em for what they are, rugged, reliable, and cheap. Don't try to make an ak out of it. Stripper clips are great. Enjoy it for what it is, a handy rugged compact carrbine.
It's the perfect ""truck gun" IMHO
Exactly.

Old October 27, 2017, 02:21 PM   #11
Chainsaw.

SKSs are fantastic rifles that get a bad rap because of what they are not. Shoot the heck out of it and enjoy. Good find.
Old October 27, 2017, 03:17 PM   #12
aarondhgraham

I expected to see a white stock,,,

I expected to see a white stock,,,
Because of the name "Snow Leopard".

I remember a character from a sword & sorcery fantasy novel I once read,,,
She was a warrior woman with pale skin and white hair,,,
Her sobriquet was "Snow Leopard".

I once saw a Mosin-Nagant with a white stock,,,
The barrel, action, and trigger guard were anodized a light gray,,,
And all of the fittings such as the barrel bands were powder coated a deep scarlet red.

I was thinking maybe you had done something similar.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 27, 2017, 04:57 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

I think that stock was just poorly stained. I don't know what wood it is, but some woods splotch like that when stained unless you seal with something(de-waxed shellac being the best sealer IMO). Gives a nice effect on that piece though.
Old October 27, 2017, 07:42 PM   #14
2damnold4this

Nice historic rifle. With SKS iron sights and 57 year old eyes, you did well.
Old October 28, 2017, 12:34 AM   #15
Model12Win

I would refinish it, grind off the bayonet lug, add a cheap scope to it, spray paint it puke green, add a TAPCO 20 round banana clip, and a 4 point tactisling.

That's how all the SKS's look at my LGS.