The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 22, 2017, 02:33 PM   #1
rebs

TC Hawkin 50 cal

when I set the double set trigger and pull it there is a slight click noise then I have to pull it a bit more for the gun to shoot. Is this a problem or an adjustment or what ? Other wise the gun is like brand new with an excellent stock and barrel with a nice shiny bore. The owner says he shot it very little. He is including round balls, patches, patch lube, a new possibles leather bag and a round ball bag, short starter, wire brush, cleaning jag etc. Does $350.00 for everything sound like a good deal ?
Old October 22, 2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Smoke & Recoil

The (click) that you hear and feel is normal, it's the set trigger becoming engaged. $350.00 seems a fair price, but only if it is a factory built rifle, you
can check that by looking at the serial number. If there is a letter (K) before
the serial number, it would be a kit rifle. Factory built rifles have a life time
warranty where as kit rifles do not.
Old October 22, 2017, 04:43 PM   #3
mehavey

One "click" [one the rear set trigger] is the norm.

Question for the OP:
are there actually 2 clicks on your rear tigger ?

Last edited by mehavey; October 22, 2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old October 22, 2017, 04:49 PM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
when I set the double set trigger and pull it there is a slight click noise then I have to pull it a bit more for the gun to shoot.
I had a .54 Renegade with double-set triggers. The procedure as I remember it was, to set the rear trigger for an ultra-light pull, you pulled the front trigger until it clicked and then shifted your finger to the rear trigger which fired the gun. However, if you were in a hurry, you could fire the gun by just continuing to pull the front trigger beyond the click (set-point). In other words, you did not have to set the rear trigger at all...you could fire it with the front trigger but at the expense of a long, heavy pull. It sounds to me like you are only firing the gun using the front trigger.
Of course there is always the chance that I am not understanding your post.
Old October 22, 2017, 06:31 PM   #5
Hawg

Cock the hammer and pull the rear trigger, when it clicks the front trigger is set for a lighter pull. You can fire it by just using the front trigger but as said it's a harder pull. There's is a screw between the triggers you can use to adjust the lightness of the front trigger when it's set.
Old October 22, 2017, 06:36 PM   #6
rebs

I set the trigger with the rear trigger and it clicks, then when I pull the front trigger to shoot that is where I hear another slight click and have to pull just a little more for the gun to fire. It like maybe the set trigger is not smoothed out or has a rough spot on the sear. My other double set trigger TC only makes one click when the trigger is set, when I go to shoot it just takes a light touch on the front trigger to fire the gun, no click or notch on the front trigger. I was thinking maybe something in the trigger meganism needs just a touch with a stone or something to smooth it ?
Old October 22, 2017, 06:37 PM   #7
Gemmer

My .50 cal TC Hawken works like this; cock the hammer and pull the back trigger (set triggerj until it clicks (sets). Move to the front trigger (hair trigger) gently touch and the gun fires. For a quick shot, one can pull the back trigger through the click and with more back pressure, get the gun to fire. This how it is meant to work.

Last edited by Gemmer; October 22, 2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old October 22, 2017, 07:27 PM   #8
Hawg

It sounds like the set trigger needs adjusting.
Old October 22, 2017, 07:34 PM   #9
roashooter

the set trigger does need to be adjusted....when my TC Renegade is used with the rear trigger pulled to SET the front trigger....there is no movement....and only a mere touch will drop the hammer

forgive my memory....its been many years since I last adjusted my set triggers...but if I recall....you turn in the set screw between the triggers...a quarter turn at a time....till...pulling the rear trigger fails to set the front trigger...then you screw out to set the sensitivity you want..

with mine I can do this without cocking the hammer

Last edited by roashooter; October 22, 2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old October 22, 2017, 09:08 PM   #10
mehavey

See page 43:
https://www.tcarms.com/pdfs/uploads/...ken_Manual.pdf

(when in doubt... read the instructions)
einstein
Old October 22, 2017, 09:40 PM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I've never experienced 2 clicks only one. Maybe your rear trigger isn't set touchy enough? As the front trigger when set & pulled should be near a hair triggers behaviour it having no noticeable trigger creep.
Old October 23, 2017, 11:04 AM   #12
shortwave

Yep...sounds like the 'set' trigger needs adjusted with the adjusting screw.
Also, If the rifle has set for a very long time, its possible the trigger assy could use a cleaning and oiling.
Old October 23, 2017, 11:46 AM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
My .50 cal TC Hawken works like this; cock the hammer and pull the back trigger (set triggerj until it clicks (sets). Move to the front trigger (hair trigger) gently touch and the gun fires. For a quick shot, one can pull the back trigger through the click and with more back pressure, get the gun to fire. This how it is meant to work.
Maybe on a TC, I never had one but I've never had a gun with a set trigger that worked that way and I just checked the two I still have to make sure they won't work that way. The front trigger is the only one that will fire the gun. If you don't set it you have a lot of slack and a little harder pull. If you set it there is no take up and the trigger is very light. Pull the rear trigger as hard as you like and it's not going to fire.
Old October 23, 2017, 01:48 PM   #14
Gemmer

Hawg,
I stand corrected. Your right,the front trigger on my T/C will fire the rifle with or without the back set trigger.
Old October 24, 2017, 01:30 PM   #15
rebs

I talked to the guy selling it again and he will not budge on the price. He wants 350.00 and I offered 300.00 and he said no. It has been listed for 2 weeks now and he still hasn't sold it. I am going to forget about it. I have a mint condition New Englander that shoots 2" groups and its good enough for me. I just thought it would be nice to have one dressed out in the brass and all. I also have a Cabela's investarms 58 cal carbine that shoots well. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.
Old October 24, 2017, 07:48 PM   #16
4V50 Gary
Staff

Rebs - if you want something and search enough, you'll get it at the right price. They're not exactly collectible.