The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 3, 2010, 09:05 PM   #26
Artie

Well, I shot a round yesterday with my new light modified chokes. Early results were not that impressive and I immediately got discouraged, which didn't help. I made some changes to my shooting technique, some intentional and some that were unintentional though.

By the second half of the round, I was hitting at about 85%. Even though I've been shooting my entire life, I THINK I noticed a slight flinch during the first few shots. It was affecting my follow through badly. It was something that i never thought would ever be a problem, but once I noticed what I was doing wrong, the hits increased dramatically. It was pretty strange and embarrassing, even though I was the only one that noticed. I guess the important thing is that I did notice and was able to work on correcting the problem. Obviously practice is invaluable, but it also helps to keep an open mind and look at all the possible factors that might be affecting your shooting.
Old October 3, 2010, 09:22 PM   #27
oneounceload

What type of load do you shoot? I have dropped from 1oz to 7/8, and now down to 3/4 in 12 gauge - light load means no flinch
Old October 4, 2010, 06:10 AM   #28
Artie

I have been using 1 oz. loads, mainly because I can't find anything smaller around here.

I don't think my flinching was really anything more then just the "jitters" at the first couple of stations. It was more of a total lapse of the basic fundamentals then it was a jerking action. I tried to focus on doing some new things the correct way and I think I got so involved with that that I kind of neglected the things I do right. It was a good learning experience, just keeping an open mind and not being so stubborn.
Old October 4, 2010, 11:41 AM   #29
BigJimP

I think 1oz loads are very versatile - and since you don't apparently reload - its a good shell. I shoot 1 oz for Skeet, Sporting and 16 yard Trap ...and I prefer 1oz of 8's ...

New shooters are a little different / but with experienced shotgunners like yourself developeing a flinch - it is often related to vision issues or looking back at the barrel. When you change guns /the handling characteristics are a little different - and it causes issues too. I'd suggest a couple of drills you can do at home:

1. gun mount ---get 20 or 30 feet from a light swith ( in a room or long hall way ). Focus hard on the light switch - then close your eyes ( mount the gun - empty of course) - then open your eyes and see if you are still looking right at the switch. Do this 15 - 25 times in a session / once or twice a nite / until that gun comes up real smooth and in line. The classic gun mount - is like a " rectangle " - gun goes straight out, straight up, straight back and to your face and shoulder ( don't drop your face into the gun ) ...mount it clean.

2. empty gun again .... snap cap...stand in the middle of a room. Mount gun and swing along the seam between the wall and ceiling ---as you pass the seam in the corner, pull trigger, and keep the gun moving along the seam between ceiling and wall. Go to right / then to left. Focus on seam / and follow thru ....
Old October 4, 2010, 12:53 PM   #30
oneounceload

Kemen has come out with a 7/8 oz load at 1200 fps instead of the normal version for bunker at 1300 - should be soft shooting. If you go to Kemen USA, you can see if there is a distributor near you. I have one near me and he delivers to one local club at their regular monthly sporting clays shoot - he is typically delivering about 100 flats a month to a bunch of folks, and his prices are running around $55/flat - which is about the same as the cheap wally world promo junk