The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 7, 2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Drummer101

Happen to anyone else?

My first round of skeet whet pretty good (first 23 targets missed once or twice and that was a biff on my part, the last station we do the "over the shoulder" because it is less depressing and rather informal).

But then the second round I missed half of them I think...

Starts good and down hill from there.

ps. think I found my "dream gun".

Beretta SV10 Prevail I Sporting 12GA
standard stock 30inch barrel

Then get a custom stock from Cole Gun Smithing and have that part fitted.

About $3800 all said and done I think.
Old June 7, 2012, 10:46 PM   #2
.300 Weatherby Mag

I generally drop a target or two the first round and then shoot better in subsequent rounds... In regards to station 8, they are targets that you shouldn't miss once you learn the game... The over the shoulder method makes them too easy...

It's rare... But I have shot a good first round and then fell apart in later ones..

Quote:
Beretta SV10 Prevail I Sporting 12GA
standard stock 30inch barrel

Then get a custom stock from Cole Gun Smithing and have that part fitted.

About $3800 all said and done I think.
I shot one with the kickoff system... Nice handling gun...

Last edited by .300 Weatherby Mag; June 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old June 7, 2012, 11:53 PM   #3
zippy13

Quote:
The over the shoulder method makes them too easy...
What's the over the shoulder method?
Old June 8, 2012, 12:06 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Beats me.
Perhaps refers to the old custom of turning around and shooting St 8 outgoing. No longer allowed.
Old June 8, 2012, 12:11 AM   #5
zippy13

That's what I was thinking, but Station-8 targets are out of bounds once they pass over the center stake. Shooting them outgoing can be dangerous.
Old June 8, 2012, 01:17 AM   #6
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
That's what I was thinking, but Station-8 targets are out of bounds once they pass over the center stake. Shooting them outgoing can be dangerous.
Zippy,

Think about standing at station 8 looking at the low house.. After calling for the high bird, you pick up the target as it comes over your left shoulder... You break it as its dropping... Its the same bird you would shoot if shooting a double at 8 if you were shooting the low house bird first, then the high after it passes your left shoulder..

Just like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uplC-8hEnIM
Old June 8, 2012, 01:23 AM   #7
zippy13

Doubles at Station-8 is also prohibited for safety reasons.
Old June 8, 2012, 10:45 AM   #8
rhinonewshooter

Doubles at station 8 are part of a round of Wobble Skeet where I shoot. You get a report pair facing each house. First bird is incoming, second bird is over the shoulder. both must be shot on the same side of the stake and without changing the position of your feet.

Doubles are not, however, allowed on station 8 on our "regular" skeet field.

Nice new shotgun, btw. I've been looking for someone with the KO system to "borrow" their gun for a few stations to see how it feels. From what I have read, either you love it or hate it - but for the investment, I think I'd like to know before I put out my cash.
Old June 8, 2012, 11:07 AM   #9
zippy13

Quote:
I think I'd like to know before I put out my cash.
Amen, that's why there are so many recommendations that you get some trigger time with a gun before you buy it.
Old June 8, 2012, 11:43 PM   #10
Drummer101

By "over the shoulder" I mean having your back to the house that is launching (only doing singles).

Everyone I shoot with only does it for hunting so they tend to like that kind of practice for duck season.

Normally I try to do it the proper way but it is a nice change once and awhile.

And the dream shotgun wont be anywhere near me before I graduate and find a real job

Yet chances are I will never see what I want before I buy. Might just try to send my adjusted stock with the Jones pad or some how try to measure it and transfer it to the other even if it has a different rib. But I dont need to think that far.

I have tried all the guns of the people I shoot skeet with and none of them fit me (out of the 4 or 5 of use who actually shoot skeet).

The rest of the folk are trap shooters and use a U/O or single barrel or a wingmaster trap (I think).
Old June 9, 2012, 03:58 AM   #11
TheKlawMan

I have very limited time on the skeet field, but I beleive at Prado 8 is in the middle of the field facing the low house and 9 in the middle faces the high house. When shooting 8 you fact the low house and you face the high house when on 9. Sometimes I have to twist just a bit to hit the bird as it passes from my front to behind me.

Zippy said somthing to the effect that it is out of bounds once the bird passes the middle stake so I guess that those shots of mine are losses even if they hit.

Just what is the safety reason that twisting and shooting over your shoulder is verbotten, assuming that you twist towards the field?
Old June 9, 2012, 05:26 AM   #12
Virginian

Okay, I'll bite, what's "unsafe" about shooting Station 8 outgoing?
How do you feel about shooting low gun? Is that "unsafe" too?
Old June 9, 2012, 08:53 AM   #13
Drummer101

If everyone is behind the shooter and the shooter is not twisting at all I dont see anything unsafe about it...

Just to make sure this is the station with the last 2 shots. And you only do one at a time.
Old June 9, 2012, 11:29 AM   #14
zippy13

Quote:
...assuming that you twist towards the field?
Don't make that assumption!
You'll understand the first time a newbie sweeps your squad as he awkwardly tries to twist around to catch the out-of-bounds Station-8 target. Yes, I've seen it happen -- it doesn't happen every day, but when it does, it won't be soon forgotten.
Old June 9, 2012, 12:10 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In impromptu dirt dove shooting get together, I broke out the M-500 D model with PGO and 18 inch barrel...

I impressed the "line" hitting several/many in a row. To be quite honest, I was really impressing myself too.

Then the hot streak cooled off and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn standing inside it...

Brent
Old June 9, 2012, 01:30 PM   #16
zippy13

Quote:
Then the hot streak cooled off and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn standing inside it...
Brent, that's how a lot of folks get hooked. It's the old "I'll do better next time" syndrome.
Old June 9, 2012, 07:53 PM   #17
TheKlawMan

Brent, If it is true or not I don't know but I have been told that when I miss the first one I try too hard and start thinking too much. That is when I miss a lot more.

That or when I am running them I worry too much about when the miss is going to happen or if I might actually shoot a good score.

It is easy to say I am not going to think about the missed shot and just relax, but then I am thinking about not thinking and I am missing.
Old June 9, 2012, 10:31 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

YES IT IS TRUE!!! In many genre of sports, when you goof, it takes a special mindset not to let it affect the later activities...

I am positive I started "trying too hard" cuz I even brushed my mouth with the grip once... lucky no blood or fat lip as evidence or I would have never lived it down...

Brent