The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 8, 2006, 11:19 PM   #1
parrothead2581

Gun belt or everyday belt

I have never concealed carried, so this question will probably sound rather stupid. Does one really need to invest in a "gun belt" or will a traditional, full grain leather, "everyday" belt do just fine? Thinking about IWB carry with a full size 1911.
Old January 9, 2006, 01:10 AM   #2
rmagill

What I have found works well is a good, sturdy belt. The belt I wear when I CCW is the same belt I always wear and it is not a "gun belt". As long as the belt is thick and strong enough to support the weight of the gun, you should be fine.
Old January 9, 2006, 01:18 AM   #3
NorWestr

I just used regular belts for years and thought they worked fine until I tried one from the "Beltman". Theres a world of diference especially with a gun as heavy as a fullsize 1911. A bargain at $50 and they look good too.
http://www.thebeltman.net/
Old January 9, 2006, 01:26 AM   #4
BillCA

If you will be carrying frequently, buy a gun belt. It's worth the money.

To tell if your everyday "top grain cowhide" belt is good enough, do this;
Lay the belt out flat. Put your thumb & forefinger on the top and bottom edges of the belt about 1/4 of the way back from the buckle or the most used notch. Squeeze your fingers together.

If the belt allows you to fold the leather it will not support the weight of a gun and holster very well. OWB holsters will "lean out" at the grips. IWB holsters will pull the belt inwards towards your body which is uncomfortable to those of us with "love handles".

If the belt can't be folded (or not without a lot of pressure) then give it a try as a gunbelt. If you're using an OWB holster, put it on and insert the empty gun. In front of a mirror bounce up on your toes and down hard about 4 times then stop (without touching the gun/holster). If you see the grip of the gun leaning away from your body, get a sturdier belt.
Old January 9, 2006, 09:00 AM   #5
Nail Shooter

IWB type carry is not as critical as far as a belt goes. If the belt is flimsy, OWB carry will result in a gun that sags away from the body as others have said.

After having carried for a brief period of time with a work belt, I bought a good quality leather "gun belt." This was much better, as I was carrying OWB, and the gun quit sagging away from my side. The belt was a little too stiff, and not as comfortable as I would have liked. Also, seemed that one hole was too loose, the next one in, too tight. Bought a Wilderness 5 stitch, which has no adjustment holes--just pull the belt thru its adjustment rings til if feels right. Wear it whether I carry or not, never looked back on the leather stuff.

NS
Old January 9, 2006, 10:07 AM   #6
HappyGunner

When you want a real gun belt

http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/

Gary makes the very best in quality of any gun belt I have looked at. I just ordered another so I can switch pants without pulling my belt out each time.
Old January 9, 2006, 04:24 PM   #7
dairycreek

The primary purpose of a gun belt is to provide a solid, strong, stable, and comfortable platform upon which your gun rests and which will not sag over time. Many excellent gun belts are actually two pieces of leather stitched together to provide the desireable platform. IMHO, everyday leather belts usually do not do the job well - particularly over time. A good gun belt and a good holster are the fundamental basis for successful concealed carry. I take exception (although mild exception) to the idea that a gun belt is less necessary for IWB carry than OWB carry. Regardless of carry style a good gun belt is a necessity.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old January 9, 2006, 06:58 PM   #8
JohnBrowning

A 15 dollar cop belt will last a decade or more and do all you reasonably ask of it. I got mine years ago and wear it daily. I don't use it to carry guns on acount of being 19, but I do use it hard while doing construction, and it works very well. The thing is, a thick piece of leather is a thick piece of leather, and you can get such a thing very inexpensively from a uniform store.
Old January 10, 2006, 03:25 PM   #9
John28226

Give Jim a Call

Parrot - Jim "Beltman" is located in Apex, NC. Since you are in North Carolina, too, just give him a call and discuss this with him. He makes a great belt and you will notice a difference - even with IWB carry. And he is a friendly guy to boot so I sure you will find what you want to know.

Recently, for 2 days I carried my Stellar Tracker in a Crossbreed IWB holster for over 10 hours each day - on the 3rd day I grabbed a pair of jean with a single layer cowhide "work" belt and, rather than thread a different belt, just added the same holster with the same gun. I was tugging at it off and on all day. That belt just did not support the extra weight.

Spend the money on a good double layer belt and you won't regret it later.

John
Charlotte, NC
Old January 18, 2006, 09:23 PM   #10
Optical Serenity

Galco makes some great gun belts. Very durable and shaped properly. Also they use very nice leather.
Old January 18, 2006, 11:42 PM   #11
LHB1

I wear "gun belts" from Lou Alessi, Milt Sparks, and Josh Bulman as my everyday belts even though I do NOT concealed carry. Since getting these belts last year my previous everyday belts are simply collecting dust and taking up space in the closet. May put them in the next clothing drive collection at our church. Get the gun belt!

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old January 21, 2006, 11:30 PM   #12
carebear

Yep, solid double-layer, double-stitched quality leather is the same no matter the name stamped on it. Th biggest difference I've noticed is that "gun belts" often are lined which can help with long term durability.

As a trade off they also tend to cost a lot more. I use Red Wing 1-1/2" work belts, almost exclusively IWB, with jeans for my LW Commander. When they wear to the point they aren't supportive (going on 3 years with mine now, no slacking) I'll just buy a new one. Which means I'll be into belts for $64 for two. My Galco gunbelt was closer to a hundred and performs and looks no better.

I'd concentrate your money on decent holsters. Good belts don't have to be spendy, holsters aren't so lucky.
Old February 4, 2006, 10:22 AM   #13
WESHOOT2

belted

I use gunbelts from Bianchi, Ernie Hill (ooh, that dates me, ay?), Don Hume, and Helweg.

Friends have custom belts (like sharkskin) from Milt Sparks (ah-ha; talked them into it ).

A good belt is more than priceless.
Old February 4, 2006, 12:31 PM   #14
rellascout

I did not buy into the belt thing right away. I carried fro a while with a regular belt. It did fine until it started to stretch.

Once I picked up a true gun belt I like other don't wear anything else. I now am a full believer in a good belt.

A good belt can make a bad holster feel good and sagging belt will make a great holster feel bad. A well made gun belt will last a long time. It is worht the investment IMHO.
Old February 4, 2006, 12:47 PM   #15
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Yes; you need a gun belt.

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old February 5, 2006, 09:57 AM   #16
P35

Gun belt or everyday belt

YES
While you may not need a "gun belt", you need a belt that is stiff enough to support the weight of your hand gun and what ever else you hang on it. For a 1911 I would go with a double thick, inch and a half belt. Also be sure that the belt you use fills the slots on your holster, to prevent the holster from moving around. With a good belt you won't be tugging your pants up and adjusting your gun every time you move, not good for discreet carry
Shop around, you don't need to pay a fortune for a good belt, the Beltman makes a great belt for a reasonable price.
Regards
P35