The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 1, 2012, 06:33 PM   #1
shoptroll

Ruger SR1911

Forced myself to walk out of a small local gunshop today after looking over a new Ruger SR1911. He's asking $695 which looks good after a quick internet search. This is the first time I've actually gotten to see one in person. I currently own a Springfield XD in .45 but have long considered adding a 1911 because....well, it's a 1911! American icon and all that. Anyway, I can swing the price but it will clean out about 6 months of my stash. So, how's the price and should I jump on this hard to find Ruger?
Old December 1, 2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Coach Z

It's a great gun

I bought my sr1911 when they first came out as my very first 1911. I love the gun, it's accurate, reliable, and well built. I don't they're super hard to find though if you look around a bit online. I wouldn't jump on it just because it's hard to find but if you want to get it don't hesitate it's a great gun.
Old December 1, 2012, 06:43 PM   #3
bitttorrrent

The only one I saw was one going out to someone else.

Is this new? I would go back and get right away if less than 700. I still cannot find it anywhere around her.

Not Davidsons Gun Gallery
Not local gun stores
And usually out of stock on all the website stores.

I would get it now. I still want one.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:19 PM   #4
shoptroll

Brand new.

Update: While sitting at the dinner table the OL told me to go get it for Christmas! Woohoo! I'll call them Monday morning and see if they'll hold it, or take my card # and hold it untill I get off work.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:26 PM   #5
orionengnr

I have been on my LGS's list for a Ruger SR1911 since they came out. I think that this March will be three years.

They are a small shop, and she has told me that Ruger (and their distributors) are giving priority to their large-order customers. I have been dealing with her for almost ten years and have every reason to believe her. I have seen how distributors take care of the shops that move large volumes.

No biggie, I have some 1911s and I can wait for one of the Rugers.

Coincidentally, I saw my very first SR1911 in the flesh (as it were) today at the gun show. It had a price of $899 plus tax, etc. He may get it, but not from me.

To clarify, this is in the DFW area, and we have some pretty decent gun shows, with a fair number of large vendors.

Guess I'll stay on the LGS's list. She is quoting me about $650. Patience has its rewards.

Last edited by orionengnr; December 1, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old December 1, 2012, 08:46 PM   #6
smee78

I just saw one yesterday and it to was priced $700, I want one to but I'm also in no hurry. Its a bad time of year to spend that much on just me
Old December 1, 2012, 11:22 PM   #7
laytonj1

Quote:
They are a small shop, and she has told me that Ruger (and their distributors) are giving priority to their large-order customers
Even an out of the way tiny little pawn shop here with only three display cases has two in stock... I bought mine from him a year ago for $639.
Another shop has been selling them for $599 but they go fast.

Jim
Old December 1, 2012, 11:46 PM   #8
Marquezj16

Bought mine a little while ago. I love mine.

Price was a little less than $700 out the door. Don't think they are rare around my area anymore. Matter of fact saw one at Academy Sports today.

However if they are not hanging out at your area, it's not that bad of a price for it.
Old December 2, 2012, 12:11 AM   #9
Reloader06

I sure wish we could own them here. Unfortuneatly they are too dangerious for civilian use. LEO only here.

Matt
Old December 2, 2012, 12:55 AM   #10
shoptroll

Quote:
I sure wish we could own them here. Unfortunately they are too dangerous for civilian use. LEO only here.

Matt
That's ridiculous! The 1911 is 27 years older than the Red Ryder BB gun! You gonna shoot yer eye out kid?
Old December 2, 2012, 01:25 AM   #11
jmortimer

Not accurate, the ball is in Ruger's court to submit to our dumb-a$$ testing and certification process. There are plenty of 1911s available. Ruger does not need us right now, but I am sure eventually they will submit one for testing and certification.
Old December 2, 2012, 02:47 AM   #12
Reloader06

They need to submit 3 and pay to have them "torture tested"(My words) in addition to paying a fee for the privledge. They would also have to modify it to have a loaded chamber indicator(V notch in the hood??)

Matt
Old December 2, 2012, 07:06 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Jump on that Ruger Shoptroll. That is a great price on a hard to find gun.
Old December 2, 2012, 08:38 AM   #14
shoptroll

Quote:
Jump on that Ruger Shoptroll. That is a great price on a hard to find gun.
Will do!
Old December 2, 2012, 03:58 PM   #15
arch308

I just picked up a LNIB used one for $700. That's a fair price for one around here as they are still hard to come by. No taxes or paperwork.
Can't wait to shoot it! I sure like the fit & finish. Feels very good in my hand.
Old December 2, 2012, 07:12 PM   #16
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I'm really at a loss on where people think it's some kind of "hard to find" gun. They're everywhere online. If you were looking for one under $650, then I could see that.

What features are you wanting in your 1911? Depending on your expectations and features, there might be better out there. I bought my SR1911 a few months ago. Haven't shot it yet, but there are some things about it that I feel is lacking compared to what you can get for the same or cheaper price.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 2, 2012, 09:39 PM   #17
shoptroll

Quote:
I'm really at a loss on where people think it's some kind of "hard to find" gun. They're everywhere online. If you were looking for one under $650, then I could see that.
Hard to find in local gunshops if you actually want to hold it in your hand and inspect one up close and personal before you buy it.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:17 AM   #18
texagun

Quote:
I have been on my LGS's list for a Ruger SR1911 since they came out. I think that this March will be three years.

Coincidentally, I saw my very first SR1911 in the flesh (as it were) today at the gun show. It had a price of $899 plus tax, etc. He may get it, but not from me.

To clarify, this is in the DFW area, and we have some pretty decent gun shows, with a fair number of large vendors.
I saw that one priced at $899 at Market Hall in Dallas. Then I walked over to S.A.W. and they had 2 priced at $699. I looked at both of them and picked the tightest one and bought it. I now see them at almost every DFW gun show I go to priced from $650 (missed that one) to $899. Keep searching. Your efforts will be rewarded. All the ones at my LGS have been priced at $799. i passed on those.
Old December 3, 2012, 12:36 PM   #19
dgludwig

Quote:
but there are some things about it that I feel is lacking compared to what you can get for the same or cheaper price.
I'm curious as to what things you feel are lacking in the SR 1911 when compared to other 1911 pistols in the Ruger's price range. My lgs has them on sale now for $699.99.
Old December 3, 2012, 02:40 PM   #20
anothernewb

I certainly have to say my SR1911 has been worth every penny. And when the guy pulling the trigger does his or her job - it's capable of delivering.

*edit* - 50' target

Last edited by anothernewb; December 4, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old December 3, 2012, 07:40 PM   #21
laytonj1

Quote:
And when the guy pulling the trigger does his or her job - it's capable of delivering.
Pics of targets don't mean much without knowing the distance.

Jim
Old December 3, 2012, 09:31 PM   #22
MTHall720

I haven't seen one where I live yet either. Glad to see this post though as I have been trying to decide between one of these some day versus a used Remington or Springfield. I saw a very nice looking Springfield for 775.00 but no cash to spare.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:24 PM   #23
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig
I'm curious as to what things you feel are lacking in the SR 1911 when compared to other 1911 pistols in the Ruger's price range. My lgs has them on sale now for $699.99.
Here's a thread I started up a while back when I was comparing the SR1911 and the Remington R1...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496065

Again, I haven't fired my SR1911 yet. I took my R1 with me on vacation and it went through another range session. At risk of being accused of an unfair assessment, I still like the R1 over the SR1911. The R1's slide/frame/barrel fitment puts my Ruger to shame. I'm not kidding. The R1 felt like butter from the day I first handled it. Will the Ruger eventually smooth out? We'll see. The Ruger has more features without a doubt. Does that justify the extra cost? To me it doesn't for some of them. I honestly don't see any added cost for a manufacturer to feature a raised grip safety or a skeletonized hammer.

Bottom line is I think Remington hit a home run on offering an extremely affordable 1911 without sacrificing a quality base product. Ruger's 1911 is no slouch, either. Don't get me wrong. I'm not griping at all about the Ruger. I'm putting both under a microscope with Ruger being a bit more scrutinized due to higher cost and a LOT of people gave rave reviews so much so that you'd think they're an employee or are starry-eyed that Ruger finally put out their own 1911. I don't think either one would be a mistake to buy.

If you can swing and extra $100, I'd take a hard look at Springfield's RO. It rivals their TRP for fitment and overall quality.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 3, 2012, 10:47 PM   #24
JWT

Waited almost 8 months for delivery for mine when they were first introduced. Now they are not that hard to find. Was worth they wait, it's become a real favorite.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:16 PM   #25
shoptroll

Well, I got it! Picked it up after work this evening. Took my brother-in-law along and he came out with a Sig 1911 clone in .22 cal. The Ruger is a Christmas present for me so I told the OL that I'd wait......