The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 25, 2020, 06:13 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

What role does a CZ527 have?

What purpose does a CZ527 Carbine in x39 have?

When does it make a good choice?
Old January 25, 2020, 06:48 PM   #2
Scorch

Hunting up to deer sized game (200-ish lbs/100 kg). Ammo is relatively cheap. The rifles are light. And recoil is mild. And the kids like it. Do I need to keep going?
Old January 26, 2020, 09:47 AM   #3
deadcoyote

If you want one in 6.5 grendel sportsman’s warehouse seems to always have them on sale way cheaper than the other chamberings. I’m waiting on a .17 hornet mode currently.
Old January 26, 2020, 09:56 AM   #4
Areoflyer09

I loved my CZ527 Carbine in x39. I had one just because they are a joy.
Old January 26, 2020, 10:39 AM   #5
Pond, James Pond

Hmmm. Sounds like I’d enjoy it!

Shame I can’t buy it!
Old January 26, 2020, 10:49 AM   #6
Wyosmith

It is a general purpose rifle for about 80%of American shooters. The Russian round is about like a 30-30 in it's usefulness, very accurate in this rifle, and shoots flatter because of the use of more pointed bullets. The ammo is inexpensive (for now anyway) and a "deer round" is also fine. It is also ok if you ever had to use it to defend yourself and your home when used with the 120-123 grain hollow point ammo because it's penetration through walls is far less then even wheat you see with a 45 ACP pistol bullet, yet cavitation in flesh is wide and violent. Even though Americans seem to love "faster and bigger" the old 30-30 was and still is a round that covers most needs for a rifle for most Americans, so the short 31 caliber Russian round is going to give you the same ballistics, or at least close enough. And the honest truth is that about 80% of all shooters and hunters in the USA never hunt anything larger then a deer.
So the 7.62X39 CZ is a supper useful tool and perfectly suited for most uses that most American would call on a center-fire rifle to do.
Old February 14, 2020, 12:56 PM   #7
Husqvarna

Helluva fun rifle!

Warner got great qr rings that fit right into the action.

I only have the .223 but hunt small game and roedeer with it.

Then I unscope it and run retro-type ipsc with friends
Old February 15, 2020, 05:15 AM   #8
armoredman

I set mine up as a camp/survival rifle with custom stock including spare mag in the butt. Simple, light, accurate, and for some places, doesn't scream EVIL BLACK RIFLE. It's a great little carbine.
Old February 15, 2020, 12:15 PM   #9
Pond, James Pond

Would I be crazy to swap my 452 for a 527?

I’m only half serious: but they really speak to me!!
Old February 22, 2020, 05:26 PM   #10
jackstrawIII

It's killed every deer I've aimed it at. And killed them well.

And it's so easy to shoot. Put lots and lots of rounds through it with the wife, and soon the kids.
Old February 22, 2020, 08:29 PM   #11
dph1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond View Post
Would I be crazy to swap my 452 for a 527?

I’m only half serious: but they really speak to me!!
I have a 455 that I absolutely love. I want a 527 for my next rifle.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old February 23, 2020, 04:53 PM   #12
Husqvarna

Do you have some sort of limitation on how many guns you can own?

Otherwise why not just get both?
Old February 23, 2020, 06:55 PM   #13
m&p45acp10+1

I have the 527 American chambered in .221 Rem Fireball. It is a joy to shoot. It checks a whole lot of boxes for me. Also it is small, light, highly accurate, low on the recoil. Every person that has ever shot the rifle always has a huge smile on their faces after they shoot it.
Old February 23, 2020, 10:12 PM   #14
RKG

You may, if you like, think of the CZ 527 in 7.62 x 39 as a "Scout Rifle Lite." It is short, light and superbly "handy." The round is not the most powerful, so I think of it as an "up to 200 yards" rifle. The trigger (single set) is superb. The wood is superb. The factory sights are so-so, and I didn't like the look or feel of a scope, so I purchased a Pic rail made for the 527 (forget the maker, but I suppose I could look it up), on top of which I mounted a Vortex Venum red dot. The sight is zero'd for 100 yards, and the rifle prints about 6-7 inches low at 200 yards. I can "ding" a steel silhouette at any range up to 200 yards 10 out of 10 times offhand.

I only shoot handloads, using Hornady 0.311" 123 grain soft points pushed by A1680. Since the 527 has a CIP dimensioned chamber, I fireform SAAMI dimensioned brass and then neck size to assure proper headspace. Since I don't have a high power scope mounted, I can't tell you precise MOA accuracy, but, as noted, I hit a relevant target every time out to 200 yards.

So far, the only negative I've encountered is that the rifle is so pretty I don't take it out in the rain.
Old February 24, 2020, 09:05 AM   #15
Duffy Moon

I also own a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 and my favorite thing about it is that it will eat cheap ammo without a hiccup. Even Russian steel-cased bulk ammo cycles great. It would make a very good woods gun due to the short overall length, but I just use it as a plinker.
Old February 24, 2020, 02:39 PM   #16
bamaranger

x39mm bolt rifle

I do not have a CZ in x39mm, but I do have tidy bolt rifle in that caliber, mine a Ruger MKII, stainless/synthetic, w/ a very slim 20" barrel. I originally purchased the rifle as a transition for bamaboy to larger calibers, but a have taken quite a liking to it myself. I generally hunt the Ruger a good bit, its stainless/synthetic composition shrugs off hard use and even a bit of neglect. The combo with its 2x7 scope is extemely lightweight as well. About the only drawback to the combo is that it lacks the reach of larger cartridges, but it suits casual practice to 200 yds, and whitetails at the distance most are shot.

As noted in Wyosmith's post, the cartridge is very practical for most of the shooting and hunting that I do. The comparison to 30-30 is apt, and within its range, the cartridge has all the power one needs for deer, most hogs, and possibly black bear. It is extremely mild shooting, and my Ruger bolt is very accurate with the Hornady SST bullet when seated out a bit. I read the CZ shoots the affordable import steel case ammo well, something I have not tried in my Ruger.
Old February 25, 2020, 09:50 AM   #17
Erno86

I enjoy shooting steel targets with my CZ 527, chambered in 7.62x39. It's a handy little (mild recoiling) carbine, and I wanna take it deer huntin' with me in the near future. I also have a VORTEX variable scope mounted on it, that fit's with no need to take the V rear leaf iron sight off.

The earlier ones came with more beautiful Turkish walnut stocks than the present day ones. I did check on social media...and found out that the 527's have a tendency to develop cracked stocks. Which is what happened to mine, at around the 800 round mark --- That developed a 1/4" long crack at the rear left side of the squarish looking rear of the receiver.

I sent the rifle back to a company in the U.S., that deals with the repair of CZ's, and they put on a new stock in no time, and at no cost. They also polished my stiff working bolt, that made it work so much smoother in the action.

I'm not sure whether all 527's come new with stiff working bolts...but YouTube has a video on polishing CZ bolts.

Here: CZ 455 bolt - "But the technique apply's to most all guns."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pLGexmQrfE

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; February 25, 2020 at 10:22 AM. Reason: added a few words
Old February 25, 2020, 04:41 PM   #18
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Do you have some sort of limitation on how many guns you can own?
There are limits for different things or aspects of the firearms law. The hurdles I’d be looking at is that beyond a certain number of firearms, a new heavier duty safe must be bought.

I am at that limit, having neither the space nor funds for a bigger safe.

As such my last 4 gun purchases have required me to choose one to sell first. The good news for me is that I now own a carefully compiled selection that covers a wide range of roles and budgets. The downside is that guns just for the sake of it aren’t something I can indulge in.

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; February 25, 2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old February 25, 2020, 05:59 PM   #19
2damnold4this

I would have a difficult time giving up the 452 for the 527.

What other rifles do you have? Do you hunt?
Old February 27, 2020, 05:11 AM   #20
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I would have a difficult time giving up the 452 for the 527.

What other rifles do you have? Do you hunt?
I don't hunt. I want to learn but there are hoooooops to jump through in order to get a licence. I still hope to get there, but I have been saying that for more years than I care to admit (hangs head in shame).

My other rifles are a VZ58 ex-military rifle reconditioned as a semi for the civilian market, meaning x39 calibre cross-over, my 452 (22LR) and a CZ 550 Varmint in .308.

The VZ is for competitions. The 452 for training, plinking. The 550 is a would-be hunting rifle and longer range target practice when I go practice with some of the "National Guard" guys.

I wouldn't want to use sell any of them, TBH, but the one that is probably closest to what the 527 would be is that 452.

7.62x39 is not that much more expensive than 22LR here.
About €180-200 for 1000 .22 and about €250 for 1000 Barnaul steel-cased x39.
And I can reload for 7.62x39, although not at a lower price per cartridge, only higher quality.

So both work as a training aid.
Both work as that handy survival option.
Both have small cartridges for storage (but 22 wins by some margin)
Both would be a 10-rounder bolt gun, with suppressors as an option.

The only other guns, I could otherwise sell are the single shot 16g Beretta and 12g VC Franchi semi auto that I very rarely use, but these were my grandfather's and the thought of selling them doesn't sit well, despite being a viable option on the logic-front. I have too much use for my pistols to consider ditching those.
Old February 27, 2020, 11:43 AM   #21
2damnold4this

It's not my decision but I don't see the 527 doing anything for you that your 452 or 550 don't already do just as well, if not better. It would be different if you didn't have to get rid of one.
Old February 27, 2020, 02:49 PM   #22
seanc

I really love my new 527 x39 and agree with all the wonderful things everyone is saying above. Like you, I have a .308 bolt rifle (K31 7.5x55, my tack-driver!) and x39 semi-autos (5.45 & 7.62x39 VEPRs). I almost had to part with my 7.62x39 VEPR to "pay" for the 527 acquisition, but the wife gave me a pass on that safe-filler. I have a cheap .22LR (Marlin 60) and would LOVE to have a 452.

The question to you is: I assume your 452 is a tack driver, will you be satisfied if the 527 is a 2 MOA rifle with cheap steel-cased ammo? And even with premium (Hornady SST?) ammo?

ETA: The 527 only has 5-round magazines -- as far as I know of. If you have 10-round magazines available over there, please let us know! You may have a nice little side-business supplying us...

Last edited by seanc; February 27, 2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old February 27, 2020, 08:17 PM   #23
10-96

I have both 452's and a 527 in x39. I've been watching this thread and pondering- maybe trying to learn to think like you- I don't know. The 527 has the CIP type chamber- I don't know exactly what all that means, but CZ says it was cut for the steel cased European ammo (steel cased). I've tried brass cased stuff and steel cased stuff- both Euro and home grown. My rifle doesn't feed well at all with brass, and truthfully, it doesn't group well with anything I've fed it so far. I guess it groups well enough for what it is, but it sure lacks the satisfaction of very small groups of any of my other CZ's- especially the rimfires. I may be wrong, but I kind of think reloading for accuracy for that x39 just won't ever be a won battle in the chase for small groups. Now, if it was any other caliber, that would be a totally different kind of bird.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old February 28, 2020, 01:18 AM   #24
Pond, James Pond

These are all good thinking points.

Certainly, yes, my 452 is accurate. I would not really want to trade that for less in terms of accuracy. So far all my CZs have shot nicely.

Even my VZ managed about 3 MOA at 100m with irons, but those were 150 powder coated commercial reloads. With the Barnaul stuff its more like 5 MOA. So I know that Barnaul is not inherently an accurate product.

I will need to double check the 527 mag size here. I was pretty sure they were 10, but may have been fooled by the fact they are single stack.

My 452 has aftermarket 10rd mags.
Old March 1, 2020, 09:33 AM   #25
cw308

For target shooting the CZ 527 MTR in 223 is a nice rifle . A friend of mine just bought one and it's a tack diver , the Varmint heavy barrel in 223 comes with a single set trigger also very nice . Worth a look.

Chris