The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 24, 2020, 07:52 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Savage vs Browning vs Ruger

So I have ditched my 270 WSM project in favor of Just keeping the rifle the way it is.

So on to a new project it is. I have narrowed this purchase to 3 factory rifles, all the same caliber. Price is within $100 of each other at my local gun shop. This time I am really stuck... Hahahaha, I know first world problems right? Anyway here are the rifles I am contemplating. Going for 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC, But the Savage is not available in the PRC.

Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target

Browning Max Long Range

Savage 12 Long Range Precision

What would be your pick of these three and why?
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old January 24, 2020, 07:58 PM   #2
jmr40

I'm not sure what the others cost, but I'd bet money this out shoots all of the above.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...+crd+20%5c%22+

Winston Churchill
Old January 24, 2020, 08:26 PM   #3
kilotanker22

I did consider that same Tikka. The 20 inch barrel is what turned me off from it. Price wise it is about $75 cheaper than the others.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old January 25, 2020, 12:14 AM   #4
Txhillbilly

Never been a fan of Ruger,had a few years ago,they just weren't very accurate. Browning has never been a precision shooter either,maybe they improved.

Most Savage's shoot very well,as do the Tikka's. Don't forget the Bergara B-14 HMR,they are said to shoot very well.
Old January 25, 2020, 01:23 AM   #5
sako2

Kilotanker have you looked at these. You don't live to far from the place.https://www.eurooptic.com/Mauser-M18...e-M18065P.aspx
Old January 25, 2020, 02:06 AM   #6
10-96

I was dead set against Ruger because of accuracy problems and a way less than satisfactory telephone conversation I had with one of their employees. Plus, in the 80's and 90's Ruger just wasn't known for accuracy.
However, I'd lately been watching some youtubing and apparently Ruger has really stepped up their barrel making operations. There are videos out there of some guys doing some amazing things with off the shelf Rugers. That said, I'd say it might just come down to what tickles your fancy the best in the looks department.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 25, 2020, 04:27 AM   #7
J.G. Terry

I'd suggest doing some more homework on each of these rifles. Based on experience it would hard to defend a statement that Ruger and Browning are simply inaccurate.
Old January 25, 2020, 05:06 AM   #8
Nathan

Maybe this helps.

I have a Savage 12 bvss in 300 WSM....it shoots 0.6” 5 shot 100 yd groups.

I have a Ruger Hawkeye African 6.5x55. It shoots 0.9” groups measured the same way.

I don’t have any experience with Browning.
Old January 25, 2020, 09:25 AM   #9
Bfglowkey

Ruger has indeed”upped their game” for barrels and accuracy enhancing designs. The RPR is a prime example of a very well made rifle out of the box. The savage 12 series are going to give you a heavier barrel then the browning or Ruger models so if that’s important then it should sway your choice. Brownings are decent and more valued for the action then the barrels which are avg in my limited experience. Savage and Rugers will USUALLY be a smidge cheaper as well so if your looking at factory configuration to begin with then you will save a few dollars for things like glass and rings etc.
Old January 25, 2020, 05:08 PM   #10
kilotanker22

My concern with the Ruger if I went with 6.5 PRC is that it uses AI pattern mags. This could present a problem with fitting cartridges with COAL longer than 2.850. The PRC was designed to be loaded a bit longer than that. I am a little worried that I will end up shooting rounds that I can not get any closer to the lands than 150 thousands. Essentially giving me no room for seating depth adjustment.

Now I may be over thinking this, but every single short action AI pattern mag I have ever had. I was unable to load any longer than 2.850".
– St. Augustine
Old January 25, 2020, 09:13 PM   #11
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
I'm not sure what the others cost, but I'd bet money this out shoots all of the above.

I bet it does not.
Old January 26, 2020, 06:35 AM   #12
Nathan

Quote:

I would take that bet. I don’t have a ton of experience with either, but the Tikkas in my experience don’t shoot as well as the Savages. . . The
Tikka I have most experience with shoots about 1” groups. I have experience with a Savage 10 that shoots about 0.4-0.5” groups and mine which shoots 0.6-0.75” groups with regularity.

I am aware of the great Tikka groups posted online. I would also temper the above groups with that a fair standard for “how does my rifle shoot” is probably 5x5 shot group average. I think that makes my Savage 12 more like a 0.7” gun.
Old January 26, 2020, 08:18 AM   #13
Bfglowkey

Tikkas are fine shooting rifles that have one of the better actions in terms of smoothness out of the box. Barrels are good, not great and QC is a step above most manufacturing companies. They are one of the better polished companies. Savages are tougher around the edges and the actions are gritty but they sure do shoot well. With some TLC and a bolt lift kit, some polishing... smooth. Rugers sit somewhere in between. I think the largest complaint for Rugers actions is the courderoy sound they make when cycled. I sort of like it but I am a weirdo. My RPR is insanely fun to shoot and accurate. The stock barrel has proven to last and my 6.5 has over 3k rounds thru it and hasn’t had any noticable degradation to groups so far. Been fed nothing but handloads and been very aware of their “hot factor”. No pushing of limits yet in that one. My savage SV 12FV on the other hand....shoots pretty darn well for less money and a big hunker of a barrel. It’s showing signs of wear and groups have begun to creep open at about 2200 rounds...but I push that thing hot in terms of handloads.
Old January 26, 2020, 09:54 AM   #14
std7mag

Out of the box, the Savage is the one winning matches.
With the 26" barrel & HS stock, and Accu-Trigger of 6 ounces to 2.5 lbs, it would be the one i choose.
Note, this rifle is meant to be right at home at either Williamsport, Reade Range, or Camp Perry.

The Tikka, while being extreemly accurate, is more towards Police Urban Sniper than long range. The short barrel helps keep weight down, and fits an urban enviornment better than a 26" barrel. While it can shoot longer distances fairly accurately, it's best performance is the urban under 400 yard setting that most city SWAT teams use.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 26, 2020, 11:22 AM   #15
J.G. Terry

I wonder if the plan is with these rifles to get slick after some use. It's easier to get slick out of a fat bolt. On a Model 70 and Ruger American it took some shooting for the extractor to work smoothly. I put smooth or slick down on my list only to be concerned after some shooting. My shooting partner has the extremely accurate .204 Hawkeye. We had a lady shooter clean our clock with a Hawkeye in 6.5CM in a lead bullet match. My antique Savage placed in the race.
Old January 26, 2020, 11:48 AM   #16
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.G. Terry View Post
I wonder if the plan is with these rifles to get slick after some use. It's easier to get slick out of a fat bolt. On a Model 70 and Ruger American it took some shooting for the extractor to work smoothly. I put smooth or slick down on my list only to be concerned after some shooting. My shooting partner has the extremely accurate .204 Hawkeye. We had a lady shooter clean our clock with a Hawkeye in 6.5CM in a lead bullet match. My antique Savage placed in the race.
Smooth and slick have nothing to do with accurate.
Old January 26, 2020, 01:23 PM   #17
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
Out of the box, the Savage is the one winning matches.
With the 26" barrel & HS stock, and Accu-Trigger of 6 ounces to 2.5 lbs, it would be the one i choose.
Note, this rifle is meant to be right at home at either Williamsport, Reade Range, or Camp Perry.

The Tikka, while being extreemly accurate, is more towards Police Urban Sniper than long range. The short barrel helps keep weight down, and fits an urban enviornment better than a 26" barrel. While it can shoot longer distances fairly accurately, it's best performance is the urban under 400 yard setting that most city SWAT teams use.
Haha, I live pretty close to Williamsport. So spending some time there is definitely on thee schedule. I like the Savage triggers, in fact thy are my favorite factory trigger. The Browning and Hawkeye Target also both sport decent triggers. The only reason Remington 700 is not on my list, is that I would have to add the cost of a good trigger right out of the gate which will cut into my "Optics" fund.

Like I said earlier in response to jmr40, the Tikka was not even on my radar, because I am looking for a 26 inch barrel.

The Browning was my leading option here, because naked that rifle is 3 pounds lighter than the other two. With the optic I intend to place on it and a bipod the browning loaded will weigh about what the other two rifles weigh bare. The Ruger and Browning have an adjustable comb already which places the Savage firmly in third place, although my affliction for the Savage rifles makes the three a pretty even call.

If I were basing my decision on the smoothness of the action out of the box, then the Browning would certainly be the leading competitor, although the smoothness of the action on a dedicated Target/sitting rifle essentially means nothing to me.

I have no doubt at all that any of the three rifles in question will all shoot sub minute wit good hand loads. In my experience there have been very few rifle that will not shoot well with ammunition tailored specifically for that rifle.

Funny thing you should mention Williamsport. 12 years ago I shot a couple matches in Williamsport in their light gun shoots. With a factory Remington 700 Varmint chambered in .243 Win. I did ok with that rifle. Even with the 5 pound X-Marl Pro trigger. I did even better when I replaced that trigger with a Jewell trigger.
– St. Augustine
Old January 26, 2020, 01:50 PM   #18
kilotanker22

If I changed the Barrel length requirement that I set for myself from 26 down to 24 inch or longer then there are many, many more options to choose from. Especially If I decided That I was OK with replacing the trigger right out of the gate. That would add the Remington 700 5r stainless gen 2, as well as the Remington PCR. It would add a bunch of Savages, Tikkas, Winchester etc.

I did consider the RPR, but They are several hundred dollars more than the options I listed I believe. The three rifles I already listed are right around $1000 at my local gun shop.

If I went with the 24 inch barrel choice then I have many options that cost less and I could Spend even more on a good optic. For example a Savage 110 Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC would run me $650 for the rifle, freeing up an additional $400 for the optic. Then that puts me back in the same boat I am if I pourchase the Ruger Hawkeye Target in 6.5 PRC. The AI pattern mags are going to be too short for me to utilize The longer COAL of the PRC. Bringing my caliber options back to 6.5 Creedmoor or the 308 Win
– St. Augustine
Old January 26, 2020, 02:01 PM   #19
J.G. Terry

"Smooth and slick have nothing to do with accurate."

Reynolds357:Could you show me where I made a comment on accuracy in that post. My oversight, I missed your post on experience with these firearms.
Old January 26, 2020, 02:19 PM   #20
kilotanker22

The optics I am considering for the rifle I choose range from the Leupold VX 3I LRP, VX 5 HD, Vortex Viper HST, Viper PST Gen 2, Bushnell Forge, Bushnell Tactical DMR 2 and a couple of AThlon or Riteon options.
– St. Augustine
Old January 26, 2020, 02:26 PM   #21
std7mag

I know you live near Williamsport, that's why i mentioned it.

3 lbs lighter is not a good thing if looking for a designated long range target rifle.

Just say'n...

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 26, 2020, 02:32 PM   #22
kilotanker22

If I were to choose the new Browning released at shot show last week. The Max Varmint/Target. That would bring all three rifles to within a pound of each other.

Loaded with bipod and optics, they would all weigh in at about 15-16 pounds.
– St. Augustine
Old January 26, 2020, 02:36 PM   #23
kilotanker22

The Browning and Ruger both have a brake installed already. If I wanted a brake on the Savage I would have to thread the barrel for one.
– St. Augustine
Old January 26, 2020, 02:52 PM   #24
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.G. Terry View Post
"Smooth and slick have nothing to do with accurate."

Reynolds357:Could you show me where I made a comment on accuracy in that post. My oversight, I missed your post on experience with these firearms.
I was not debating what you said. I was adding to it.
I have a couple of the Savage LRP along with sbout 30 various other Savages. One LRP has been rebarreled to 6.5x284 and the other to 6x284. I have seen a few of the Ruger LRT shoot.
Carry on. Carry on.
Old January 26, 2020, 02:53 PM   #25
T. O'Heir

Browning has been marketing based on the name for eons. Ruger is getting that way. Savage is and always has been the best bang for your buck based on out of the box accuracy.
"...6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC..." Think I'd go Creedmoor just because the ammo and brass is more readily available. And the 6.5 PRC is a Hornady proprietary cartridge that is only loaded by Hornady and No$ler at this time. Midway shows 70 loads for the Creed.
They also show only Hornady brass for the PRC. Six brands for the Creed.
Either way, if you opt for the PRC, buy as much brass as you can afford at the same time. The Marketing MBA's running Hornady(et al) think nothing of discontinuing stuff with no regard for their existing customers. Having a pile of brass means you won't get stuck.