The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 22, 2020, 12:09 AM   #1
globemaster3

Seeking Savage Axis Youth Feedback

So my youngest daughter has been eyeing a Savage Axis Youth combo in .243 with the Muddy Girl Serenity camo at Walmart. I know this is a budget gun, but I want to capitalize on her interest. A quick look at a couple examples show inconsistent barrel channel in the stock, but that can be corrected with some sanding to free float.

Anybody out there with this model who can provide some feedback?

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old January 22, 2020, 05:09 PM   #2
Bfglowkey

On average , Savages shoot very well for their price point. The 243 would be a great round to teach her and she could easily join you on deer hunts should she progress to that. 243s are prone to be “barrel burners” but wether you shoot factory or handloads , getting 2k rounds is not unheard of. Also if she decides the stock isn’t for her after shooting it some, plenty of aftermarket options that can help her truly make it her own in terms of style etc. good luck!
Old January 23, 2020, 08:45 PM   #3
reynolds357

Yes, I have a couple of them in .223. They are both 1/2 moa and very functional. I put good scopes on them. The rifles look cheap, but shoot with about anything out there.
Old January 26, 2020, 02:22 AM   #4
kilotanker22

The Axis rifles are great for their price. I have owned many and they all have shot well. Some were incredible shooters.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine