The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 9, 2020, 10:31 PM   #1

Need Help Identifying a Dwm German Mauser Sporter w/ hex barrel

Have not seen another one like it in photos online or at gun shows, etc. Since DACA Market Hall gun shows in Dallas have ceased I haven't been able to find a serious collector/vendor who could tell me exactly what I've got so... My other alternative is taking it to Lee's Gun Parts in Irving, Texas and if Lee is still live let him look at it. I'm pretty sure he would know what it is. I thought I would post here & maybe some veteran members could chime in their thoughts The previous owner has had it in his safe 10 + years and said it is a 6.5 mm but he never chambered a round in it or fired it ? Has a good clean bore, smooth action etc. Only markings on it are the makers mark/proof marking, a circle & 784 on the receiver and on the barrel show below in the photos, no other numbers stamped into the receiver period (which made be "nerveous" buying the firearm but...). The barrel is 26 1/2" long where it's pressed into the receiver. Has a very unusual brass decorative plate on the right side of the stock. Any help identifying it or giving me any insight of year, model, etc is greatly appreciated. Sorry it's currently not for sale

Last edited by 36750177; February 9, 2020 at 10:56 PM.
Old February 9, 2020, 10:32 PM   #2

Last edited by 36750177; February 9, 2020 at 10:43 PM.
Old February 10, 2020, 10:06 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Nice looking parts of an old style Mauser sporter.
Original owner didn't care enough to have his name engraved on the stock plate.

I would say the squiggle in circle is the shop trademark, unlikely to be identified at this late date.
There MIGHT be proof marks under the waterline.
A chamber cast and bore slug are in order.
Old February 10, 2020, 05:22 PM   #4
mapsjanhere

Take out of the stock and check the root of the barrel. There should be a collection of proof marks to allow a much more detailed determination of age caliber etc.
Old February 11, 2020, 12:09 AM   #5
martin08

Begin your research by looking at the Mauser Model B prior to WWI. It is not quite the same as the Model B, but it is close. You may find a similar rifle while surfing pictures.

I don't recognize that maker mark at all. Seems weird not to have a proof which is visible.

Agreed, you will need to check the underside of the barrel and/or do a chamber cast to determine caliber.
Old February 11, 2020, 05:20 PM   #6
Scorch

Just as an FYI-
DWM (Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken- German Weapons and Munitions Factory) was established in 1896 and absorbed by the Qantas Group (a German government-linked company) in 1929, so your search should focus on that time period.

Required proofmarks will be on the bottom of the action and on the chamber area of the barrel. These will include a government "definitive proof", bore diameter, pressure the gun was tested at, bullet used in testing, and (most importantly) a proofhouse mark telling you where the gun was proofed. You can then search makers' marks for that area and time (if available) and pinpoint the maker of the gun. Remember, they had a little "to-do" in that area of the world about 80 years ago, so many records will be unavailable.
Old February 11, 2020, 06:52 PM   #7
HiBC

Not to nit pick,but you will be more correct to call it an octagon barrel. Hex is six sided and rarely seen.
The barrel is threaded into the receiver,rather than pressed. Once again,no put down intended. How else do we learn? We all start somewhere.

Looks like someone has done a little sandpaper work.

Whats done is done,,but continued "less than expert efforts" can quickly make a real mess of that nice octagon barrel.I would not round the clean edges any more,and the flat of an octagon must remain truly flat and straight,

Very nice rifle!

Last edited by HiBC; February 11, 2020 at 07:11 PM.