The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 31, 2016, 09:42 PM   #1
tahunua001

what the heck happened to the K31s?

less that a year ago K31 swiss rifles were all the rage for cheap milsurp rifles in good condition and as good shooters for ~$350 but a quick trip over to gunchoker does not show a single rifle for less than $500 and most priced over $650... did I miss something?
Old September 1, 2016, 12:17 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

K 31

Quote:
a single rifle for less than $500 and most priced over $650... did I miss something?
yes, you missed buying one when they were $69 and the scope mount cost $10 MORE than the rifle!!

its simple supply and demand, and of course, greed. The supply was never all that large, its an oddball rifle, and strange (to Americans) caliber. interest was low for some time, but its now caught up with supply, so the price of the ones available for sale goes nowhere but up.

They're still available, but no longer even remotely cheap.
Old September 1, 2016, 08:38 AM   #3
reddog81

Supply and demand... The supply has basically dried up so now sellers can charge more.

I believe classicfirearms has some coming up for sale today. They have had a bunch of surplus items come up recently from a large milsurp bankruptcy. If your interested in getting one I'd act sooner rather than later. Also the GP11 ammo is available in quantity right now. Once that ammo supply dries up at the regular retailers the prices jump up closer to $1 per round.
Old September 1, 2016, 09:32 AM   #4
kilimanjaro

Yes, you missed out on the initial supply. Get one now, before the price goes up even more.

Remember the Norwegian, Persian, German, and Russian Capture K98s, the Hakims, FN49s, Lee-Enfields, etc., etc., etc.? They all came on the market and were bought up, too.

The Great American Gun Market has spoken.
Old September 1, 2016, 05:27 PM   #5
DennisCA

Simpsons, LTD has a few as well as a few K-11's.

Classic also has a few K-11's but are sold of the K-31's.
Old September 1, 2016, 07:25 PM   #6
Gunplummer

The trick is to watch online auctions and see what they are SELLING for. I watch some stuff on gunbroker and it starts at a ridicules price and just closes with out selling. I am watching something right now that is up for a third time and the start price remains the same. If you are seeing those guns actually going for that price and really want one......
Old September 1, 2016, 10:10 PM   #7
tahunua001

well the reason I was asking is because for some reason 3 days ago I freaked the heck out because I haven't bought a milsurp rifle in years so I started out by losing a few bidding matches on some arisaks on gunbroker so I started looking for K31s since they were pretty much an arisaka(oddball round, looks kinda funny, nobody wants one because they aren't easy to sporterize, etc) but prices on those freaked me out. I looked in the usual places, like aim before remembering about classic arms. the K31s were listed at fairly reasonable prices but dammit if they didn't have Finnish M39s for $350 so I got one of those instead, despite my indifference to mosin nagants in general. so now this is more of a rant about milsurps getting expensive despite the fact that I don't ever remember seeing M39s sell for so little before.
Old September 2, 2016, 07:29 AM   #8
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
since they were pretty much an arisaka(oddball round, looks kinda funny, nobody wants one because they aren't easy to sporterize, etc)
The GI K31's are dang close to as accurate as almost all the other countries "sniper" models.
GP11 matches any GI match ammo.
Production cost of K31s is equivalent to several thousand dollars today.
Not quite the same in my book.

If you weren't reloading a K31 used to be the cheapest combination for a highly accurate system. GP11 isn't cheap and neither are the rifles at this point. Now, if you want to shoot them a lot you should probably reload. I already decided to shoot up all my GP11, as ammo loses so much value at resale, and sell my rifle. I'm not big on dusting.

The K11 and others available now are nice rifles, but the K31 is clearly a more mature design. I also have a K11 that was re-chambered to 308 and is not safe to shoot(observed signs of over-pressure, not internet rumors).
Old September 2, 2016, 11:59 PM   #9
tahunua001

I was comparing from a practicality point of view. my Arisakas are some of the most accurate milsurps I own, the type 44 regularly rings steel out to 400 yards which is impressive given my wobble, and the K31 has a reputation for accuracy as well. gp11 as good as it is, is going to eventually run out and when that happens, a fellows going to be stuck reloading just as they would with 7.7 and 6.5x50mm. that's basically the comparison I was making. anyone with eyeballs can tell you there is almost nothing in common between the two from a design standpoint.
Old September 3, 2016, 10:27 AM   #10
Gunplummer

Heck no! The Arisaka puts their design to shame.
Old September 3, 2016, 03:40 PM   #11
robertsig

Well, I have two nice K31's myself, so I'm at fault.
Old September 4, 2016, 02:37 AM   #12
Gunplummer

Now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever even held one. It is just one of those guns that does not appeal to me. Oh well, more for someone else.
Old September 4, 2016, 10:36 AM   #13
P5 Guy

Where Did They All Go ?

Well, this can be said for many of the once plentiful and economical military surplus firearms.
I'm hoping they have all gone to good homes where they are loved and cared for with proper maintenance and shot regularly.
Old September 5, 2016, 11:12 AM   #14
tobnpr

Century shows them (but they usually "show" a lot of stuff they don't actually have- so you need to call first, and you need to have an FFL/be registered with them before they'll talk to you) sans magazines- with cracked stock- for $250.

Mags are hard to come by as the Swiss didn't manufacture spares- how stupid is that?? . Rock Solid Industries is supposedly bringing a ten round mag to market, but no idea on timing.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old September 5, 2016, 04:30 PM   #15
marines6433

Obviously, they got all bought up. The old Mosin Nagants are starting to get that way as well, and their prices are slowly going up. Supply and demand.
Old September 5, 2016, 05:10 PM   #16
tahunua001

supply and demand?

technically the law of supply and demand states that as demand increases the price of products will increase in order to accommodate added costs on the part of the manufacturer as it increases its ability to produce more items. since the K31 is not even in production anymore, then it becomes a matter of free market profit setting whereby retailers and private party sellers set the price of scarce resources to whatever the maximum price they can justify setting in order too maximize profit margins. it has nothing to do with the law of supply and demand other than the fact that if there is a low supply and high demand, the prices tend to ride higher.

Last edited by tahunua001; September 5, 2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old September 5, 2016, 08:55 PM   #17
reddog81

While not in production any more the supply of rifles coming over from Europe has all but dried up. The supply exsisted for a long time because all the rifles coming on the market were decommissioned military rifles.

The Swiss could elect to keep their rifle once no longer in the sevoce or it would go into a military arsenal. From the Swiss arsenals the rifles would eventually be sold off. It's my understanding from following them on various websites that the supply is no longer there. Hence the reason for the recent drop in supply and corresponding price jump The recent supply from classicfirearms was from the Samco bankruptcy and not from Europe.

There's no way to increase production so the prices on the remaining supply just go up and up as far as the market will bear.
Old September 5, 2016, 09:56 PM   #18
Gunplummer

It is a "Wait and see" kind of thing. Not all guns that go up stay up. After the Japanese movies a few years ago, the Arisakas started to go up. The common ones have leveled out, and I believe will probably start to drop down again. I remember AR-15's close to $1500. I recently saw one advertised (By a major chain store) for under $600. The common Russian rifles appear to be going up, but nobody is buying. I have quite a few 99 Savages, so I keep an eye on the auctions. In the last two years, the prices for them has jumped, but nobody is buying them. I suspect the common ones will start to drop in price. The gun market fluctuates with the times. It is best to buy guns because you have an interest in them, not as an investment. A lot of the mad rush to buy the last of the imports is just a feeding frenzy caused by who knows what. Remember the Cabbage Patch Doll?
Old September 7, 2016, 12:11 PM   #19
doofus47

10 years ago a buddy tried to get me to buy a K31 (not his, just any collectible sample).
At that time, I was in an apartment and I already had 4 types of rifle ammo and didn't for simple logistical reasons. From all the research I did, they appeared to be a high quality rifle and a steal at $200, but it wasn't to be.

They had already been on sale for several years before I was looking, so I can believe that after a decade the well has run dry. Do your research, find a good example and you'll probably have a great time with it, even if it wasn't almost free.
Old September 9, 2016, 08:12 AM   #20
tobnpr

To my knowledge- supply has not changed at least in the last couple of decades- most of these milsurps have been available for many decades. It's that the demand for them wasn't large enough to dry up the exports in the countries that have/had them. It's the current "fad" of milsurp collecting -which really didn't begin until just a few years ago- that nearly overnight pulled out most all of what existed, save for what may still be remaining in some former cold-war countries that can't get out due to our State Dept. or conflicts in the region.

It's all about marketing. Burns had countless thousands of Finn M39 Mosin-Nagants for countless years. They'd always been there... then "Classic" comes along, buys most of those remaining and with a marketing blitz (lie) says they just "discovered" the last remaining cache of M39's on the planet- and better get one soon...

And sure enough, everyone did.... because suddenly- they "had" to have one!

All one has to do is look at all the Mosin-Nagants listed for $250 that don't sell anymore- as the surplus has dried up and they're no longer the "cheap shooter" for those that bought them for that reason. They are the prime example of a milsurp whose prices have not only plateaued- they've begun to come down to more reasonable levels.

I suspect the K-31, which was underpriced for it's quality for so many years- will do the same as GP-11 becomes unavailable. Many of these surplus rifles have been bought by "quasi" collectors- and those just looking to flip for a quick profit.

Century is selling welded chamber Swede M1894 carbines for $350... now, I know that Mauser production was limited (Gustaf's not so much)- but come on...
$350 for a wallhanger with a welded chamber?? It's ridiculous.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old September 9, 2016, 08:47 PM   #21
sfwusc

I kind of agree. I mean I have a hex mosin and someone told me they were asking 300-400$ for that type now. I just found a 1903a3 for $500. Heck I would trade the mosin and $100 for another 1903a3 in a heartbeat.

I like the mosin. The 7.62x54r round is a solid round. It was cheap to shoot but not anymore. At 45cent a round for surplus--- I am going to find some brass and reload it.
Old September 9, 2016, 09:12 PM   #22
hikingman

While some seem to have a grasp, it's not the value going up, it's sellers trying to push the value up by forcing it that way. Let's consider the market.

Some guys bought a dozen of these rifles. GP11 ammo dried up, and that was partly (perhaps the majority) due to hoarding. The average example of these rifles was not pristine, or very good in terms of the bore or bluing.

A significant number of owners had little desire to reload for 7.5 x 55 on a regular, or semi-regular basis, and quality off-brand ammo is not readily available at a good price.

It's obvious that quite a few sellers are trying to push the price beyond reach, and reasonable. I say, good luck with that, ya'll.

BTW, I sold my 1943 K-31 for a very reasonable price, and still have my 1934, and 1954 (both Walnut).
Old September 10, 2016, 06:29 AM   #23
Gunplummer

It is the buyers that jack the price up, not the sellers. I don't pay attention to the Swiss guns, but keep an eye on other stuff. I have watched certain model guns go up 100% in 6-8 months. The majority of sellers just go with the flow, although I do see certain models that are seldom seen suddenly pop up all over the place as the price goes up. That is just smart sellers watching the market. Who of you would not sell for $500 more if you could get it? Most of the sellers are honest and have a low start price on an auction. They KNOW it will go high anyway. The shysters have an unreal start price or a reserve. I will not bid on something with a reserve. It is either junk or priced way above market value. This may sound like I am a seller, but not so. I have dealt with a lot of sellers, and most are just businessmen. It is not like they are price gouging on food or gas. You don't NEED that military surplus rifle. It would be interesting to look at a gun sellers forum and see what they have to say.
Old September 10, 2016, 08:45 AM   #24
reddog81

I would argue that the supply has changed. Go try and find a seller that has significant quantity of SKS's, K31's, M1 carbines, M1 Garand's, 1903's, etc. The Mosin may be the exception to the rule due to the large quantity produced. There is a finite supply of these. If you can find a seller that has quantity they are charging double what they could 10 years ago because they have little to no competition.

Any country of significance switched over to full auto decades ago. These guns will never be available to us. The supply of decent milsurp rifles and pistols will dry up along with the ammo. Some models have already reached that point, some are on the brink, and some will still be a little while, but it will happen.
Old September 10, 2016, 12:40 PM   #25
Gunplummer

The guns are out there, but most of you want them for nothing (And by the dozen). I went to a show not too long ago(First one in years)and the one dealer had a crate full of Chinese SKS rifles. They were loaded with grease, inside and out. I asked about that when I was waiting on a clearance and he said that they did not have time to clean them off before the show. I don't know what he was getting, I have no interest in them, but there they were. Military rifles pop up at yard sales, flea markets, and auctions all the time. Who the heck goes to importers for collector guns? The importers screen the good stuff out most of the time anyway.