The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 20, 2012, 06:53 PM   #1
603Country

Must apologize - Burris FFII not dead

You may have read my other thread on how my Burris FFII died. Well, it didn't die. My abject apologies to Burris and to Oldcspsarge, who said that he didn't believe it was dead, which spurred me to retest it. I had taken the Burris off the gun and replaced it with a Bushnell that I knew to be Ok. Right away the rifle started grouping better, but it still wasn't shooting like my earlier range notes showed. Well, the only other thing different between then and now was the stock. I had replaced the original wood stock (short length of pull) with a Ruger synthetic stock that fit me better. So I put the wood stock back on it and groups really tightened up, with no wild random fliers. That put me in a much better mood, and then I remembered what oldsarge had said. So...I took off the Bushnell and remounted the Burris. The 260 shot just fine with the Burris. No wild fliers. No unpleasant surprises. I never dreamed that the problem was the stock, but I'm sure glad that the scope is Ok. I still can't explain how the rifle, with the plastic stock, shot better with the Bushnell than it did with the Burris. That doesn't make sense to me at all, but I'm not going to worry about it.

So...oldcspsarge, you were right about the Burris being Ok, though the place of manufacture isn't the USA. Thanks for saying what you said, which caused me to retest the Burris. Tomorrow I go back to pig hunting.
Old February 20, 2012, 09:24 PM   #2
BruceM

It's not the stock really, it's a bedding issue.

Bruce
Old February 21, 2012, 06:05 PM   #3
603Country

Just for info on Burris customer service, they came back to me by email today and outlined their return/repair policy. It appears to be a pretty darn good warranty coverage. The good news is that, as I've said, I don't need to send the scope back. The rifle loves 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips at approx 3000 fps and I just put 3 into a real tight group of about 1/2 inch. Yes, someone will say that's not statistically significant, but I'll go with it anyway. I'm actually a bit tired of shooting and fussing with scopes and handloads.