The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 16, 2009, 07:09 PM   #1
joepa150

New grips for my Ruger Mark II

I want to replace the stock black plastic grips. I see Hogue makes an inexpensive rubber set. Are these any good? Are there better alternatives that are not a lot of money?

Also what do most prefer finger groves or thumbrest?

When they say right hand or left hand thumb rest which one would be for me? I am right handed and both my thumbs are on the left side of the frame.
Old November 19, 2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Ifishsum

I have the Hogues on my MKII. I like them a lot better than the standard grips - the thumb rest is a shelf on the left side for the thumb on your grip hand (if you're a righty) and it helps to give your thumb a more neutral and consistent position on the grip. I would assume that a "right hand thumb rest" would mean for a right handed shooter (thumb rest on the left side). It does make the gun uncomfortable for a left handed shooter though, my daughter likes to shoot it so I switch back to the factory grips for her.
Old November 20, 2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Pahoo

I have used both and these are definitely a better fit than the stock panels. You will notice a big difference right off. I prefer these to the Pachmayr. The thumbrest is great but depending on it's use, might get in the way. For instance, If I'm using a holster, I would not go with the thumbrest. If I work out of a box, then I would.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 22, 2009, 08:58 PM   #4
joepa150

I will not be holstering so I probably am going to get thumbrest.