The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 6, 2012, 12:46 PM   #1
MR.G

Mossberg feed tube spring

Can someone tell me how long a Mossberg 500 can be kept loaded before the feed tube spring becomes weak? I have a 500 with the eight shot tube that is kept loaded for HD and seldom fired.
Old October 6, 2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Virginian

Forever. Modern coil springs do not lose strength being kept in static loading.
Old October 6, 2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Slopemeno

I left mine loaded for 20+years, with the occasional unloading to transport it to the field. Is the spring sofer now? Yes. Does it still work? Yes.

Can you change the spring out? Yes. Is it hard? No. Wolf Springs has them.
Old October 6, 2012, 03:43 PM   #4
MR.G

I would just order a new spring from Wolf, but the feed tube doesn't want to unscrew.
Old October 6, 2012, 04:17 PM   #5
cajun47

channel locks
Old October 6, 2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Slopemeno

The mag tube is thin metal except at the very end where the barrel attaches. There it's thick for about 1/2". You want to use a strap wrench, or , as I did, wrap a piece of brass around it and grab it (carefully) with vice grips. Mine turned out very easily.

Remove the tubes, remove the follower and spring. Clean the interior of the mag tube, since you'll only get this chance every 30 years or so...

Insert the new spring and follower, put some low strength Loc-Tite on the threads, and reassemble.

This is a good technique to know, as mag tubes are easy to dent, and you should know how to replace one.
Old October 6, 2012, 11:01 PM   #7
scottd913

just had to replace mine because some idiot put a pencil in it for a plug.
i just disassembled it removed the forend and put the receiver between my legs and twisted the tube off with my hands. the spring i found at www.midwayusa.com for $3.99 plus shipping...good luck
Old October 7, 2012, 07:02 AM   #8
Pistolgripshotty

You should be fine...just every 4 months or so it would be a good idea to cycle a few shells to keep some kind of spring pressure. You don't wanna have to need your shotgun and your spring is too weak to load the chamber. Good luck!
Old October 7, 2012, 02:06 PM   #9
drail

If you don't know how old your mag spring is or who made it buy a new one from Wolff. The mag spring is just about the most critical part in a pump gun. Most people figure out that they need a new mag spring when the gun starts to misfeed on the last couple of rounds. Don't wait that long. Just replace it for a few bucks. When you do you'll immediately notice how much more force is required to insert the first round into the mag. That's what you want to feel. If you're going to keep this gun loaded for years at a time consider downloading it by one round. The spring will last much longer than it will if you load it full up. Most shells will begin to swell long before the spring starts to weaken. Change them out once a year.
Old October 7, 2012, 03:00 PM   #10
TheKlawMan

Dave McC's post elsewhere reminded me of an issue. Consider that while modern coil springs may not lose strength from being stored compressed, shot shells may become distorted if kept stored in a fully loaded tube. Hence, you might want to keep one less than max in the mag.
Old March 16, 2013, 03:53 PM   #11
unkster

Mag Spring

Had to order a new spring for my Mossberg 500c...the last round would not chamber, keeps falling out the bottom. I don't have the new spring as of yet, but I can't get the feed tube loose and don't want to damage it. Is there a tool with a locknut that goes into the feed tube so you can use a wrench to remove it. Seems like a good idea if you can match up the threads of the feed tube.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:01 AM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
channel locks
If you can't find a large rock and sledge hammer, the Channel Locks or Vise Grips would be your next option unless damage is to be avoided... at that time, go get a strap wrench and give that a try... If it is still not giving up... Get a heat gun or super good hair dryer and heat that area well to break any loc-tite loose etc...

If neither the gun or dryer is available, completely tear down the gun and put magtube/receiver assembly in the oven at 200 or so to get it hot...

Brent