The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Adeodatus

Oil dents???

hey guys so a while back ago i had been reloading some .218 bee rounds. when i put them through the depriming and resizing die after i have lubed them about 6 of the 55 rounds came out with very small dents on the case neck. A friend told me that it is too much case lube (he doesn't reload, but is he right?). Also a guy that reloads on YouTube said that it is still safe to load and fire these dented cases and the dents will pop out after being fired (is this true? are they safe).

Thanks guys

Winchester Model 43 .218 bee, Savage .22, Mossberg 17HMR, Beretta .22, S&W .357 Magnum, Ithaca 16-Gauge, Ruger Mini-14.
Old August 26, 2010, 07:16 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

Just as your friend said, oil dents--too much lube. For a very small case like that just a very thin coating of lube is enough. Maybe one of the wax based lubes would work better.

The dents will iron out when you shoothem.
Old August 26, 2010, 07:38 PM   #3
dawico

Yup, too much lube and shoot them. Unless it is bad enough to actually crease the case, it is fine to shoot. That is my general rule.
Old August 26, 2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Quantrill

Your friend is correct. Too much lube will dent, and unless the dents are really severe. go ahead and shoot them, The dents will fireform to your chamber and look fine again.
Old August 26, 2010, 08:08 PM   #5
GeauxTide

As mentioned, I went to a wax (Hornady or Imperial) some time ago. I simply dab my index finger pad across the lube and rub the case between my thumb and index finger. Perfect every time and I use a paper towel after they come out of the sizer.

OMT - I also use Imperial graphite lube for the necks as I never use the wax above the shoulder.

Last edited by GeauxTide; August 26, 2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Neck lube
Old August 27, 2010, 09:11 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

He's right on both counts. Too much lube, and they will pop out when fired.

Remember that lube also builds up in the die. What I do is to run an unlubed case in every so often, with small rounds, like the Hornet, or bee. Just be careful. If it feels like normal, fine, if it feels extra hard, don't force it, back off.

This dent problem is only cosmetic, and won't bother your shooting.

Now, if you let so much build up in the die that the case actually collapses, then its a problem!