The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 13, 2009, 11:03 AM   #1
johnwilliamson062

North American Hunting Club

I received a mailing from them and tossed it. Said I could test equipment if I joned. Wondered if anyone here had a good reason I should not have.
Old January 13, 2009, 11:06 AM   #2
12GaugeShuggoth

Do you just not like North American Hunting Club or something?

Edit: Ah, I'm guessing you were just referring to the offer to try products, and not the organization/magazine? I would've tossed it as well, just sounds "too good to be true" and we all know how those things usually end up.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE

Last edited by 12GaugeShuggoth; January 13, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old January 13, 2009, 11:10 AM   #3
VaFisher

Just a gimmick to sell, very few ever get to test anthing other then their magazine.
Old January 13, 2009, 11:17 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

They sucker a few to "test" inferior junk like cheap knives and sorry compasses...
Brent
Old January 13, 2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Daryl

It's a gimmick.

My brother introduced me to their "club" many years ago. I was even a member, mostly because I enjoyed their magazine, for a while.

Then they started sending me junk (books and such) that required me to either return it (and I'd have to pay for shipping), or send them a check.

I'd send the junk back, and sometimes they'd send me a bill for it anyway.

I got away from them real quick.

It's a gimmick that makes them money; nothing more.

I wouldn't give them the time of day.

Daryl
Old January 13, 2009, 11:34 AM   #6
davlandrum

+1 to the negative comments above.

Magazine is basically a giant advertisement. You can call them and make them stop sending you stuff to "preview", but I figure that is why I don't get to test anything either...

My test product when they were trying to lure me in was baby wipes in a camo pack - wow, how cool is that.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old January 13, 2009, 11:58 AM   #7
HorseshoerJT

NAHC

I have been a Life Member for 20 yrs. Everything that has been said in previous post's is true. It is a gimmick to suck money out of hard working honest people. If you get a test product, it is a trinket. Not worth your time. I guess I should'nt expect something for nothing. But, on the other hand my Life membership was not cheap.
Old January 13, 2009, 01:46 PM   #8
FrontSight

I have gotten several silver coins from them, that I did not ask for, and according to the law I did not have to return, either. Thanks NAHC!!
Old January 13, 2009, 01:57 PM   #9
globemaster3

+++1 to above. And also their sister organization the North American Fishing Club. I chuckle every time I see someone "proudly" displaying their sticker on their trucks.
Old January 13, 2009, 02:16 PM   #10
tyrajam

Its not a "club', its a magazine subscription. With my last renewal of F&S I got a pretty cool ammo bag, but NAHC only sends out token junk. However, I LOVE the magazine, so I joined. I ignore everything they send me except the mag and its worked out fine for me.

As far as the magazine being one big advertisement, I get F&S, Petersons, Outdoor Life, and North American Hunter is my favorite even over those. Its actually really good. Lots of Africa, Alaska, adventure, and local hunting. If you like the magazine, its worth it. If you don't like the magazine, don't join unless you want to "field test" a hunters notepad!
Old January 14, 2009, 06:11 PM   #11
jmr40

If you think of it as a magazine subscription it is not a bad read.

As for testing items, they will send you inexpensive items at first, but if you actually write up a review and send it in they will send you better stuff the next time. After a couple of years and 4-5 reviews I started to get some pretty decent items to review and keep.

I did buy a few of the unsolicited books they sent me and I think they are OK, not a waste of money. After paying for a couple of videos I decided they were a waste of time. If you will write "REFUSED" on the unopened box and drop it back in the mail they will have to pay return postage. If you open it and look at it, you have to pay so be careful. After doing that a couple of times I have not received any more unsolited items.

After a couple of years they offered me a discount on a lifetime membership and a free leather jacket. Took them up on it. Seems like I had to pay an additional $150. The jacket would have cost at least $100 and turned out to be pretty nice.

I have not sent them a penney in at least 7 or 8 years and I still get my magazine each month. If they stopped sending it to me I figure I have gotten my money's worth out of them.

I would not give them a glowing recomendation, but as long as you know how to deal with them it is not too bad.
Old January 14, 2009, 06:56 PM   #12
bcarver

Marketing...

I got a soft gun case, a cleaning kit and vest(quilted) that was worth my membership(barely). Magazine is almost worthless but slightly entertaining.
I got a flashlight and some cleaning fluid.
If you like the Membership "Gift" buy it but don't expect any free lunch.