The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 25, 2009, 04:06 PM   #1
StiveC2007

Kind of off beat can question

Alright the question I have is that im going to be hunting down south and the farm im hunting on is loaded with coyotes and also big deer, ive heard the a plastic bottle over the muzzel quiets the noise, but how well does that work for say a .30-06 rifle, Im thinking that its not gonna work but the reason im asking is I do not want to spook the deer but we want to get rid of as much coyotes as we can. also how legal is it
Old August 25, 2009, 04:07 PM   #2
Lavid2002

works well enough to put you in jail...but not well enough to keep a deer from spooking. If you want, register and buy a can....
Old August 25, 2009, 04:11 PM   #3
zoomie

(1) It's not legal to use that as a suppressor, and (2) it's not legal to hunt game animals in most states (and any animal in some states) with any suppressor.
Old August 25, 2009, 04:23 PM   #4
Lavid2002

Interesting second point....im not sure if you can HUNT with one...but taking out yotes for property protection...ehhh....sketchy ask your local game warden...
Old August 25, 2009, 04:26 PM   #5
StiveC2007

well it looks like im going with my other plan, just going to use my trusted .22
Old August 25, 2009, 04:28 PM   #6
zoomie

Don't let it scare you off, it's a little expensive, but it's not that difficult to complete the paperwork for a can (assuming your state is NFA friendly). Check your hunting regs before you give up.
Old August 25, 2009, 04:46 PM   #7
AF_TT

What state is it?

In Texas coyotes and pigs are not game animals. Therefore you can use a silenced rifle,bazooka, or flamethrower (On private land). If you are caught with a dead deer and that weapon suppressed it's your word against theirs. Best to hunt your deer get your kill. Gut the deer leave them and go call for coyotes after your deer hunting is done.
Old August 25, 2009, 05:04 PM   #8
Edward429451

Quote:
...but not well enough to keep a deer from spooking
Ahem...Uh, academically speaking...how do you know, hmm?
Old August 31, 2009, 01:33 AM   #9
procopper7005

Unless you have the paper work for a plastic bottle from ATF (never heard of that of course) you are committing a felony by using one or even conspiring to use one and face federal prison time or at least a felony conviction, stiff fine, and several years on probation. Dont get caught by a game warden with one.
If you live in an NFA friendly state just buy an actual suppressor for a couple hundred bucks and do the paper work.
Old August 31, 2009, 09:03 AM   #10
jmorris

Quote:

Personally I have no idea how well the plastic bottle suppresses, I seem to remember someone form 1’ed a thread on adapter for them (and also said it was a waist). However on the spooking deer side I do have first hand experience. The law states you can’t use a suppressed rifle to harvest deer nothing about shooting in close proximity. I’ve shot around quite a few deer with suppressed rifles and they look where the bullet impacted, see nothing, and go back to eating.
Old August 31, 2009, 09:33 PM   #11
oldcspsarge

Check the Laws in the States where you hunt.

They are legal for varmints AND Big Game hunting here in Colorado !
Old August 31, 2009, 10:07 PM   #12
cmreinke

First, you'll want to check your state laws to make sure that it's even legal to hunt with a (legal) suppressor. Then, decide if you want to legally build one yourself (relatively inexpensive, but more paperwork and elbowgrease) or buy a commercially made one (more expensive, but fairly easy).

However, if you do decide to "roll your own", I would definitely look for a better suppressor design. I seriously doubt just taping a plastic bottle over the muzzle is going to give you the desired result. A cousin of mine in MS tried this once with a .30-06 when we were young, and he told me later that the muzzle blast seemed louder than without the improvised "suppressor". I wouldn't be surprised if this design turned out to be little more than a Hollywood myth.

-Charles
Old September 2, 2009, 06:51 PM   #13
nhm16

Well I saw Marky Mark do it in "Shooter" so it must be true
Old September 3, 2009, 02:24 AM   #14
4thPointofContact

Quote:
Quote:

Some of us may be old enough to remember a time when certain companies offered machined adaptors that would thread onto a barrel and have matching threads for 2-litre soda bottles. IIRC, for a time they weren't even required to be registered since they themselves did nothing to suppress a weapon's report.
Old September 4, 2009, 01:08 PM   #15

I have never done it, but it would seem to me that if you taped a plastic soda bottle of the muzzle of a .30-06 rifle and fired said rifle, the plastic bottle would blow apart.
I would also guess that it would have almost no effect on the report of the rifle.

Don't be ghetto. But a real suppressor.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old September 24, 2009, 09:46 AM   #16
cougar gt-e

I have a pellet gun that with light pellets is supersonic. If you shoot a heavy pellet it's sub-sonic.

It's normal pellet gun sounding with the heavy pellet going subsonic, but sounds very close to a 22lr when shooting the light pellets supersonic. The faster a bullet travels (super-sonic) the higher the pressure wave and the louder it sounds.

So, if the pop bottle "worked" and removed all sound from the powder firing - the supersonic bullet traveling 2x the speed of sound will still be dern loud. Certainly louder than a .22 and certainly loud enough to spook deer.

But, I doubt that the pop bottle would work worth a hoot with a 30-06!
Old September 24, 2009, 01:35 PM   #17
teeroux

Quote:
Don't be ghetto. But a real suppressor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7xwnHdeC5k
Warning some foul language

Must be karma for the language though no one is wearing eye protection.
Old September 24, 2009, 03:56 PM   #18
Willie Lowman

People like that make the rest of us look bad
Old September 24, 2009, 05:29 PM   #19
teeroux

Agreed but it shows that potatoes and pop bottles fixed to the end of rifle barrels are all around not such a good idea.
Old September 24, 2009, 10:30 PM   #20
cougar gt-e

I was always taught to keep the barrel clear of all foreign objects. Guess he must have missed that memo...
Old September 25, 2009, 07:13 AM   #21
Bartholomew Roberts

Just a nonj-engineering type hypothesizing; but there are a couple of things causing noise when we fire a firearm - action noise (the mechanical parts of the gun cycling), muzzle noise (gases traveling at high pressures and supersonic speeds escaping the end of the muzzle) and bullet noise (the tiny supersonic wave that accompanies a bullet).

A suppressor typically only affects muzzle noise and does so by delaying the exit of muzzle gases so that the gases become trapped and have time to cool. The gases exit the muzzle at much lower speeds/pressures and reduce muzzle noise.

Now a 2-liter soda bottle isn't going to solve action or bullet noise. I doubt it will solve muzzle noise on a .30-06 since the volume of heated, high pressure gas should be more than enough to instantly rupture the plastic 2-liter bottle (don't see too many suppressors made of plastic do you?) and allow the gas to escape while still heated and at high pressure rather than trapping it and allowing it to cool.

So to the extent you saw any sound reduction, it would probably come from whatever extent the pressure was allowed to drop in the fraction of a second before the escaping gas ripped a hole in the side of the pop bottle.

Now a smaller caliber with less gas volume, say a rimfire cartridge of some sort - that might be doable, though I doubt anyone would mistake the noise for something other than a gunshot.
Old October 3, 2009, 11:28 PM   #22
gyvel

To the best of my knowledge, the plastic pop bottle on the end of the barrel is more or less an urban myth; It's effectiveness is minimal. Of course, there were companies that took advantage of this and marketed the above-mentioned "adaptors" a while back.

But, there were also those among us who believed that smoking banana peels would get you high, too...
Old October 4, 2009, 12:50 AM   #23
PTK

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, the plastic pop bottle on the end of the barrel is more or less an urban myth; It's effectiveness is minimal.
With water as an ablative medium and packing of any type (sponge cloth, in the case I heard) with care taken to preserve a clear bore, you would be SHOCKED how well a simple plastic bottle works on a .22lr rifle using subsonics. I know I was surprised - it was as quiet as my Tac-63 silencer. All I heard was the firing pin strike and the bullet hit the target.

Of course, I'd rather do things legally and have a metal silencer.