The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2018, 08:08 AM   #1
sjohnsontx

Newbie question re:7.62mm bullets

I have over 900 rounds of 1966 manufactured Chinese steel core 7.62x39 ammo. This is most likely corrosive ammo. I'm wanting to pull the bullets and reload into newer brass not only in the Russian caliber but also in .308 Win.

Thoughts? Is this doable?
Old February 15, 2018, 08:28 AM   #2
Mobuck

Depends on your expectations.
You do understand that the typical 7.62x39 bullet is .311-.313" diameter and a commercial .308 is .308"? Couple that with questionable quality control, typical Chinese junk, and 52 year old production and I would not risk myself and my firearms.
Old February 15, 2018, 08:48 AM   #3
ed308

I'd sell the ammo or just shoot it if you have AK or SKS. You can find pulled .30 bullets fairly cheap.
Old February 15, 2018, 08:58 AM   #4
sjohnsontx

Ok.....so, if i do wish to reload and avoid the corrosive powder and or primers I should just stick to 7.62x39.....

Understood......TYVM!!
Old February 15, 2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Reloadron

Quote:
Ok.....so, if i do wish to reload and avoid the corrosive powder and or primers I should just stick to 7.62x39.....
Keep in mind the powder likely is not corrosive, the priming compound likely is. Anyway, I would just sell the stuff as it is and then buy whatever you want.

Ron
Old February 15, 2018, 09:32 AM   #6
Martys

Recommend either shoot it or sell it. Most ranges won't even allow steel core ammo as it screws up many backstops at indoor ranges. Even outdoor ranges frown. If you decide to shoot it, make darn sure you "flush" out your barrel as soon as possible and then perform you normal maintenance when time permits.
Old February 15, 2018, 09:38 AM   #7
JT-AR-MG42

sj,
I'm sure the primers are corrosive as well. You could always test by pulling a bullet, dumping the powder (I have never heard of corrosive powder though),
and firing the primed case toward a piece of cleaned steel (safety glasses on!).

I treat all Chinese ammo as corrosive anyway.
If they are willing to ship us children's toys with lead paint, I figure they do not mind fibbing on the priming compound.

I agree that it would be most economically effective to sell the ammo and purchase .308" bullets for reloading in a .308 caliber gun.

If you are also reloading for the M43, you could pull the bullets and re-use them to eliminate the corrosive effect.

One could not, however, count on just transferring the powder from the berdan case to the new boxer primed case especially if the original cases are steel.
The steel cases have greater capacity than brass, and you could get into pressure issues.

I would also refrain from pulling all 900 rounds and dumping the powder together for reloading back into your new cases.
Even though the ammo is in the same case, you might have different kinds/lots of powder in there.
I've experienced this in sealed cases of Yugoslavian 8mm.

Both of the outdoor ranges I belong to out West do not allow the use of steel core, as that ammo was directly attributed to starting several fires.
Getting caught with it at one of the ranges will result in permanent expulsion.

JT